Kirk BH-1 or RRS BH-55 Ballhead?

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
YuengLinger said:
mackguyver said:
The RRS is really nice, but given the price, I was somewhat underwhelmed by its performance. It's a work of art and I love the rounded knobs that don't snag on things, but it's not particularly smooth. I also haven't had much luck fine-tuning the resistance. I can get close, but it's not as good as I had expected. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine product, and one that serves me well, but I certainly see room for improvement.

I've only had a TINY bit of precision issues with 10x Live View for macro. Otherwise, my BH-55 is a dream, usually making me forget I'm even using a tripod.

I've used the 70-200mm 2.8IS II with a 1.4x extender, smooth as can be. Everything else too, down to a 16-35mm or fisheye.

I even use it horizontally on a Manfrotto 055X. Effortless.

mac, did you ever call RRS to talk about your dissatisfaction?

And if you wanted to use a ground level tripod with a Great White, what's the go-to head?

Dear friend Mr. YuengLinger.
Well, I have RRS BH-55 for more than 8-9 years and I very happy about her Ability = A++.
BUT, When we have any equipment, We need to know What IT for, Example, In the Army, We use Cannon for long range target/ Big target, and we use BB air gun for the rat at my back yard= Same thing as RRS BH - 55, We use for big gun load as 400, 500, 600 and 800 mm. Lens---BUT when I take Macro Photos, I use Velbon Super Mag Slider on top of my dear BH-55 and Gitzo Levelling Head. Yes, Velbon Super Mag Slider is great for Left and Right+ front to back Slider Adjustment perfected for my Macro Lens 100 mm F/ 2.8 L IS. EF 180 mm. F/3.5 L and special MP-E 65 mm. F/ 2.8 Macro 1X-5X.
Good Luck.
Surapon.

Attachments

• SH-1.jpg
    SH-1.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 247
  • M9-small.jpg
    M9-small.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 238
  • YD7.jpg
    YD7.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 178
  • FF-8.jpg
    FF-8.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 237
  • SH-5.jpg
    SH-5.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 176
  • SH-4.jpg
    SH-4.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 260
  • SH-3.jpg
    SH-3.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 199
  • SH-2.jpg
    SH-2.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
Agree with Eldar on the money one can waste constantly buying, selling and updating tripods/heads. 18 months ago I saw I was on this journey and decided to jump to the top and went all RRS - monopod, 2 tripods and various heads. I have two RRS ball heads, BH-40 on travel tripod and BH-55 for heavy duty tripod. No problems with either. RRS is very good quality indeed.

Upvote 0
I have also wasted too much money on tripods and ballheads trying to find a cheaper option but about 2 years ago I finally got smart and purchased the RRS BH-55 and RRS TVC 34L tripod and am soooooooo glad I did. I only use my smaller and lighter Acratech GV2 ballhead and Oben tripod on multi-day backpacking trips now. I don't think you can beat RRS equipment. I also highly recommend the RRS PC-LR panning base and the RRS B-150B macro focusing rail. None of the RRS stuff is cheap but it is probably the last time I will need to purchase any of this type of equipment.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Having succumbed to "it cost that much" to get a good tripod head, my 2 pennies is that the BH55 is the answer.

Having just popped for the RRS Pano head after fiddling with more traditional gimbals made of metal or carbon fiber.

Swallow hard and get the good stuff in 3 months you will appreciate the ease of use and will have forgotten about the price.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
YuengLinger said:
Surapon, thank you for taking the time to show us your rigs. The macro setup is an eye-opener.

Y

Dear Friend Mr. YuengLinger .
The Slider that I use = $ 120 US Dollars and worth it for Macro Photography that for the DEAD SUBJECTS or CAN NOT MOVE SUBJECTS, because too slow to adjust for the perfected Manual focus.
Yes, For Flying Bees, We must use Canon EF 100 mm F/ 2.8 L IS , on our hand with out Tripods, But I have 3 great tricks = 1) Mix Honey with water and put in the spray bottle and spray on the beautiful flower = Bing Go, The be will come to be your free Model with out get Mad.
2) take a fast shot when the insect having FUN, as shown on the attached photo.
3) get the beautiful insect, put in Zip lock plastic bag, and put in the freezer about 2 minutes, The Insect will be in Hibernation stage--Not Move, for about 3 minutes= You can shoot him/ her, and next 5-10 minutes, they will fly or walk away with out harm..
Enjoy
Surapon

Attachments

• A-4.jpg
    A-4.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 202
  • B-2.jpg
    B-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
  • B-4.jpg
    B-4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 242
  • SPD-1.jpg
    SPD-1.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 243
  • SPD-3.jpg
    SPD-3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I have both the RRS BH-55 and the Arca Swiss Z1sp. They are both great ball heads but its expensive buying new plates from RRS having to pay shipping & import duties to the UK. The Arca Swiss head is slightly better made and places like Wex Photographic and Robert White stock loads of plates & accessories. Price wise the heads themselves are similarly priced its the shipping that kills RRS for the UK.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Another happy BH-55/TVS-34L user. I do a lot of z-stacking with the Cognisys StackShot, MPE 65, flash, in off center position, and the BH55 holds firm and adjusts easily without movement upon lockdown, which you do notice at 5:1.

I also do a lot of low-level work (mushrooms on forest ground), and the low profile of the BH55 is very noticeable.

My light-weight set up is a Gitzo 12xx (first CF tripod on market in 1998) with Linhof Profi II. The RRS set-up replaced a Gitzo 13xx CF with Arca B1 (2004 vintage) with freeze and loss of friction control knob function. I haven't used any Kirk products.

I am also impressed with RRS customer support. I went to their new facility last June to pick up a BH55, came back the next day for the TVS34L, and they gave me the package-deal price.

If you use non-RRS plates (or an Arca camera), you should get the screw-type QR (not the lever-type), because of tight tolerances for the lever type to hold firmly.

Upvote 0

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
I have the Kirk BH-1 and lens plates, which work great! The BH-1 has an easy to use adjustable resistance setting method (separate knob) which once set, maintains its resistance regardless of how much you move your camera/lens around. I've had others that will loosen from all but minor movements of mounted equipment.

If you go with the BH-1, be sure to also purchase their plastic Snap Collar (ASC-1) which snaps in place over the ball itself, giving a positive method of securing the ball head when carrying a tripod with your equipment mounted on it. This is a real plus, as it takes any strain or pressure off the ballhead's locking mechanism.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Zeidora said:
If you use non-RRS plates (or an Arca camera), you should get the screw-type QR (not the lever-type), because of tight tolerances for the lever type to hold firmly.

RRS lever clamps work with plates from Kirk, Wimberley, Hejnar, etc.

Interesting. RRS website suggested otherwise. Wonder whether that is a liability issue.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Zeidora said:
neuroanatomist said:
Zeidora said:

RRS lever clamps work with plates from Kirk, Wimberley, Hejnar, etc.

Interesting. RRS website suggested otherwise. Wonder whether that is a liability issue.

They describe the issue as one of tight tolerances. I think what they're saying is don't cry to them if the Foto-pro plate you picked up on Amazon for $8 doesn't work in their lever clamps.

Upvote 0