Largest softbox size to use with 600 EX-RT?

Pookie said:
Buff's are ok if you're static but if you're really looking for portability, Profoto B1 or Elinchrom Ranger or Quadra will be your best bet. I do lots of on site shoots for corporate, wedding and gen portraiture... nothing beats Profoto's or Eli's for onsite/studio versatility. The B2's by profoto are nice but unfort not enough power to really compete with the sun and if you're outside that's what you'll need. The Profoto B1 is 500ws and the Quadra's are 400ws. Ranger's are 1100ws and typically way more than needed.

I use B1's, Quadra's and Rangers in my studio and on site. Stellar light and unfort... nothing Buff's could pull-off until the make them smaller/more robust.

5D3's Profoto B1 or Quadra's into a 1 meter Octa...

You won't be doing this with Buff's (shooting in the surf)...

I've never used the B2's, but I've heard that they are surprisingly powerful enough. 250 vs 500 is just one stop, and I almost never blast my lights at full. So I'm just curious why you don't think the B2's are enough?

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

I've rented them before buying 3 B1's... Not enough for me. I'd rather have more power and back down than struggle with not enough power (just looks bad in front of clients). Also, like the Quadras, it's 250ws per battery pack/module. Split that between 2 lights and you're s.o.l. for power. I use my Quadra's one light per module, that's 400ws for each... far more working latitude than only 250ws. Even if you use one B2 per pack you're still at 250ws, just anemic and something I have to constantly work around. I think Profoto cut the power to add the ETTL/HSS, functions I haven't used EVER so rather pointless when I already work the Eli's just fine.

I do loads of on-site work with large mods (1 meter is the smallest) and if you can't effectively battle the sun due to poor client locations, you're dead in the water. The Eli Quadras are barely sufficient sometimes at 400ws... initially I had been using a 3 Ranger set-up but the weight was ridiculous. The B1's are a good compromise power wise and are extremely portable. Currently using 3 B1's and when in run-and-gun situ, a 3 Quadra kit. The Ranger's only come out for studio work or large groups.

Upvote 0
@Pookie - that makes sense for what you do. using modifiers that big in bright sun requires lots of light. most of the reviews i've seen have been from people using much smaller modifiers, and they were taking advantage of HSS (however, i'm not sure how powerful the lights actually are during HSS mode).

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
Buff's are ok if you're static but if you're really looking for portability, Profoto B1 or Elinchrom Ranger or Quadra will be your best bet. I do lots of on site shoots for corporate, wedding and gen portraiture... nothing beats Profoto's or Eli's for onsite/studio versatility. The B2's by profoto are nice but unfort not enough power to really compete with the sun and if you're outside that's what you'll need. The Profoto B1 is 500ws and the Quadra's are 400ws. Ranger's are 1100ws and typically way more than needed.

I use B1's, Quadra's and Rangers in my studio and on site. Stellar light and unfort... nothing Buff's could pull-off until the make them smaller/more robust.

5D3's Profoto B1 or Quadra's into a 1 meter Octa...

You won't be doing this with Buff's (shooting in the surf)...

Wow, Pookie. That is EXCELLENT work. I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm an amateur with a Canon 6D, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, some various light modifiers, and my results are improving every shoot. But, I've been looking to step things up to the next level. The Profoto B1 is my new goal.

Thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0
To the OP how far from Albany are you??
I just started with this as well. This is one of me and one of my better half. I am always shooting outdoors in HSS so I purchased the Rovelight
This was done yesterday with two lights and two 24x36 soft boxes, a key and a fill as the background was so bright and no hair light or the silver hair gets blown out. Canon 5Dmk3 and 135 f/2 at f/2 and 1/1600 ISO 160

Attachments

• Mepp.jpg
    Mepp.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_8352.jpg
    IMG_8352.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
Hi Perio,

I would recommend looking into this Westcott kit;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005758-REG/westcott_2036_rapid_box_2_light.html
. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing, completely revolutionized our flash work, and delivers a much, much better product.

A couple of notes about what's included in the kit.
26" Rapid Octabox -- Definitely the preferred box between the two and gives off gorgeous light. For a 600EX-RT, I would not go any bigger unless you get the duo, found here; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086197-REG/westcott_2050_32_rapid_box_duo.html
10"x24" Rapid Box Strip -- Great light, though I prefer this one for more of a hair/rim light.
2, 8' Light Stands -- Very lightweight, which is great unless there is wind. I would recommend 1-3 5-pound sand bags for the windy days.
Beauty Dish Deflector Plate -- Always in the octabox, and provides great light
Gear Bag -- Actually, a really good bag!

I too, would also recommend looking into a more powerful light as I have found that I am often pushing my 600 to full power in order to achieve the desired level of flash, however, ~85% of the time, I am working with the flash between 1/32 and 1/4 power so a stronger light is not absolutely necessary.

Last little bit, if you are looking at using your 600EX-RT flashes, I would highly recommend Canon's ST-E3-RT Transmitter and a battery pack for your flash, we use a Godox which you can find on Amazon.

I hope this helps!

All my best,
-Tabor

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
pwp said:
Check out the PCB PLM umbrellas. In this test Rob Galbraith uses PLM 64" Silver umbrellas with speedlights.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pagebb9d.html?cid=7-10046-10396
The speedlights test is on the second page.

I have a number of PLM's. Couldn't be happier. http://paulcbuff.com/plm.php

-pw
+1
I use two 65" soft silver PLMs with the white diffuser front. Each is fitted with two Yongnuo 565EX II (now only $65.00) and two YN 622 radio triggers. I also use one or two 51" PLMs for background lights an fit each with a single YN 565EX and 622 trigger.

One tip is to fit each flash with a Stofen-like diffuser. I use those made by Yongnuo. In my tests, the diffuser spreads the light from the flash to better fill the PLM without any loss of power.

A big reason that I prefer two flashes in the key and fill lights is for the faster recycle times. I often shoot with the key light between 1/8 and 1/4 power.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

ObsidianGT said:
Wow, Pookie. That is EXCELLENT work. I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm an amateur with a Canon 6D, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, some various light modifiers, and my results are improving every shoot. But, I've been looking to step things up to the next level. The Profoto B1 is my new goal.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words...

I've heard the Godox are pretty good... I just find that mods are easier to find for the larger brands. Anybody use the Flashpoints? I hear they are the exact same units just re branded.

I'm still a firm believer in Profoto or Elinchrom for lights. Did a shoot for a local store here in Santa Cruz Ca and used the Quadra's all day long, surf, sand and wind. Not one hiccup in 4 years with the Eli's and they are the lightest of the bunch.

I have recently had to use Profoto's customer service... no bueno and that might be a major deal breaker for me with them. Rather than send out a tiny piece of replacement kit that broke (under warranty) they want the whole unit and shipping both ways is on me. Considering I've spent nearly 10k with them it's rather lame approach to customer service.

Upvote 0