Leaked: Leica Q Full Frame Camera

Mar 18, 2015
dolina said:
That article stated a major reason why Leica entered the medium format market because a certain segment of customers for RF is dwindling as they cannot pay the Leica price.
Exactly. Photojournalism is dying. Many local newspapers are closing, and the ones that are left pay less.

To be relevant to today's professionals they went medium format.

That's what the article says. The professions that use medium format (fashion, advertising, wedding) are thriving.

Leica's hedging towards a time when RF will become as relevant as TLRs and they still release new RF bodies and lenses so long as it is economically feasible.

That part is not in the article, but it's a valid opinion. Why would you say that you read it somewhere instead of claiming it as your own?

I look at these predictions with some weariness. People were making the same predictions when I was a teenager in the 1980s. Eventually they will come true (they very nearly did before the M8 came out), but it's probably not soon.

I think there will always be an audience for the Leica rangefinder experience, just like there will always be an audience for 3 star restaurants, or improvisational jazz. These things don't need to be "relevant" in order to be successful.

Upvote 0
Bernard said:
That part is not in the article, but it's a valid opinion. Why would you say that you read it somewhere instead of claiming it as your own?

I look at these predictions with some weariness. People were making the same predictions when I was a teenager in the 1980s. Eventually they will come true (they very nearly did before the M8 came out), but it's probably not soon.

I think there will always be an audience for the Leica rangefinder experience, just like there will always be an audience for 3 star restaurants, or improvisational jazz. These things don't need to be "relevant" in order to be successful.
I concede to your point not because your interpretation is correct but I am too lazy to discuss further.

Relevancy has numbers and the number of TLRs are... not worth counting. ;)

Upvote 0