Lens & accessory options for Sony FE mount cameras a7 & a7R

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Re: Lens options for Sony FE mount cameras a7 & a7R

The ZEISS ultra wide f/4 zoom coming in late 2014 sounds interesting ... not sure if I still want to go ahead with the Sony 10-18mm f/4 OSS lens (which can also be used as a 12-17mm full frame lens on the Sony a7 & a7R) ... but when it comes to lens release dates, the darned Sony has been missing their schedules by at least a few months. :-\

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

According to sonyalpharumors, the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 E-Mount lens (compatible with Sony a7 & a7R) is now in stock at B&H ... but when I check with B&H, they say it is only for APS-C sensor cameras ... does anyone have some clear info on this?

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

Rienzphotoz said:
According to sonyalpharumors, the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 E-Mount lens (compatible with Sony a7 & a7R) is now in stock at B&H ... but when I check with B&H, they say it is only for APS-C sensor cameras ... does anyone have some clear info on this?

Samyang's European site says it's for both:

http://samyang-europe.com/index.php/configuration/press-releases/78-samyang-ready-for-e-mount-full-frame

It will be nice to be able to use their manual lenses (evidently they're about to start introducing AF too) on mirrorless camera bodies, which allow for effective manual focus via in-viewfinder magnification and focus peaking. I bought a copy of this lens back when I owned a Pentax K-5 and despite (or perhaps because of) the focus chip, and because of the inaccurate infinity stop, I found it almost impossible to get anything in focus. I rather doubt I'll get this one again, though, as my Canon 85 1.8 works so well on the A7s.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012

The ultrawide zoom seems a perfect partner for the a7r as a landscape/hiking combo.

Reviews on the 24-70 are not flowing as expected and the few I've seen seemed unimpressed by the quality/price ratio.

SAR suggests that the fast prime will be a 35mm, but I would say that a 85mm would better suit the current lineup.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Albi86 said:
The ultrawide zoom seems a perfect partner for the a7r as a landscape/hiking combo.
+1
Albi86 said:
Reviews on the 24-70 are not flowing as expected and the few I've seen seemed unimpressed by the quality/price ratio.
I have the ZEISS FE 24-70 f/4 OSS lens and it's a nice lens and does a decent job ... but yes, the quality/price ratio do not match ... I think $800 is a fair price for that lens and anything above that is not really worth it (I paid $1047 and definitely feel, it's not worth that much ... but I do like its small form factor, it is just a tiny bit longer than the FE 28-70).
Albi86 said:
SAR suggests that the fast prime will be a 35mm, but I would say that a 85mm would better suit the current lineup.
+1

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

Albi86 said:

Yes, it seems quite perverse for the next prime to be another 35mm, even if it's faster, especially since the current 35mm lens tends to get very favorable reviews. I've read good things about the inexpensive Sony ff 85mm 2.8, but it's no longer inexpensive if you buy the right adapter for it and I'm not sure how many other Sony/Minolta lenses I would want to acquire to use with the adapter. Nor, for that matter, do I know whether, aside from focusing faster, that Sony lens would have any advantage over my Canon 85 1.8, which works really well on the A7/A7R. Does anyone reading this have any first-hand experience with that Sony 85mm lens?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

sdsr said:
I've read good things about the inexpensive Sony ff 85mm 2.8, but it's no longer inexpensive if you buy the right adapter for it and I'm not sure how many other Sony/Minolta lenses I would want to acquire to use with the adapter. Nor, for that matter, do I know whether, aside from focusing faster, that Sony lens would have any advantage over my Canon 85 1.8, which works really well on the A7/A7R. Does anyone reading this have any first-hand experience with that Sony 85mm lens?
I don't have any experiece with the Sony 85mm f/2.8 lens but a few days ago I came across this blogpost
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2014/01/sony-a7r-mount-85mm-f28-55mm-f18-some.html
It does not get into the details but it shows an image of 85mm f/2.8 lens mounted on a a7R with the Sony LA-EA4 Adapter.
In the past I have always preferred zooms to primes, so I haven't bought any prime lenses for my a7 ... but I've started using and liking my EF primes on the a7 ... but I'm planning on sticking only to Canon EF primes, so they can be used on both systems ... the first one I plan on getting is the either 24mm f/2.8 IS & or the 35mm f/2 IS ... but I also want the Tamron 150-600 VC and the Sony 10-18+a6000 (until the ZEISS FE ultra wide is released) ... so, I'll mostly likely give up on the primes :-\

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Ever since I got the Sony a7, I've been visiting the www.sonyalpharumors.com site almost everyday, but since last night the site seems to return the following error message:
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.sonyalpharumors.com
Try reloading: www.­sonyalpharumors.­com

Did anyone who has visited that site, today, face similar problems today?

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

Rienzphotoz said:
Ever since I got the Sony a7, I've been visiting the www.sonyalpharumors.com site almost everyday, but since last night the site seems to return the following error message:

We seem to be reading the same blogs, presumably for the same reasons! I was unable to get onto the site yesterday via Firefox but had no problem with Chrome, and when I closed Firefox and reopened it the site worked just fine again. I just tried it in Chrome and it worked for me again. Try closing your browser and opening it again, or try a different browser and see what happens.

(As for soundimageplus, much as I enjoy following his experiences with various cameras, and for all that his comments usually make a lot of sense, I don't find his photos very helpful because I find the way he processes them to be, to put it politely, not to my taste.)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

sdsr said:
Rienzphotoz said:

We seem to be reading the same blogs, presumably for the same reasons! I was unable to get onto the site yesterday via Firefox but had no problem with Chrome, and when I closed Firefox and reopened it the site worked just fine again. I just tried it in Chrome and it worked for me again. Try closing your browser and opening it again, or try a different browser and see what happens.

(As for soundimageplus, much as I enjoy following his experiences with various cameras, and for all that his comments usually make a lot of sense, I don't find his photos very helpful because I find the way he processes them to be, to put it politely, not to my taste.)
Thanks, I did try accessing their site with Chrome, Safari, IE & Firefox ... all of them were returning similar error messages ... but it seems to be working now.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Sony released this interesting bluetooth mic ... the pic below shows it mounted on the Sony a6000 but it also works with the a7/a7R
According to http://store.sony.com/microphone-transmitter--zid27-ECMW1M/cat-27-catid-All-Camcorders-Accessories;pgid=YaVekzJizz1SRpzpWbJT83BP00000kmVtP9f?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3DECM-W1M
... this is what it can do:
"Special moments right at the source with this Bluetooth® wireless microphone. Not only can you record crisp, clear sound up to 300 feet away, but you can also enjoy two way communications between you and your subject. This unique feature enables you to give your subject direction while capturing only their voice, or you can chose to capture both their voice and yours while filming".

Attachments

• sony-a6000-micro-bluetooth.jpg
    sony-a6000-micro-bluetooth.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,656
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Researching into AF adapters for A7R, here are the apparent choices:

The ones without AF are pretty cheap, but there are quite a few that preserve AF, IS. From researching these in an effort to find a reliable one, the user experience seems to be that AF is similarly slow via all of them, and each has different electronics/software leading to one working better with some lenses while another adapter may work better with other lenses (Canon or third party).

Metabones Mk III adapter seems to be the most popular with most user reviews but also the most expensive at $400. It does not work with all lenses at all, however:
"Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus."

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM3
A Youtube video showing the AF speed with Metabones adapter.
SONY A7R + Canon EF 20mm f2.8 AUTO FOCUS SPEED

My next choice would be RJ Electronics one which is cheaper with good user reviews available. Some claim it gives sharper results than Metabones III (how?) and works with older Canon lenses unlike Metabones. RJ admits it does not work well with Sigma lenses. I read one user who said that Canon 100L Macro did NOT AF when focus limiter was set to 0.3-0.5m (Macro range) but AF was fine at other settings including "Full."

http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

This Viltrox zinc-alloy one seems okay as well. I have a Viltrox Canon EF to M adapter which works OK though a bit loose on camera end. One can find a couple of user reviews on line, so at least you know it "works."

I found a video on Youtube that shows AF speed with Viltrox adapter and Canon 17-40L.
Sony a7 auto focus with the Canon 17-40L lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-focus-AF-Adapter-Canon-EF-EF-S-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-Camera-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-/181327865685?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a37fba755

This Chinese one is claimed to be made from brass with AF intact. Unfortunately, no user reviews can be found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-Mount-Lens-Mount-Auto-Focus-Adapter-for-Sony-NEX-7-a7-a7R-5N-5R-3N-/271342856622?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3f2d4b69ae

This "King" adapter looks interesting as well but again no reviews can be found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201023366624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TechArt version II adapter.

It's thought TechArt and RJ adapters may be from same oem, sharing the black finish on the camera side and also sharing the inability to recognize focus-limiter on Canon lenses. It's selling a little cheaper than RJ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Techart-VER-2-Auto-Focus-smart-adapter-for-Canon-EOS-EF-to-Sony-NEX-7-6-5-a7-a7r-/251460489246?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3a8c36901e

Deo-Tech Falcon adapter

This one also looks to be the same adapter as RJ and TechArt
http://www.deo-tech.com/

Upon further research, some users including Fred Miranda are reporting that RJ/TechArt/Deo-Tech adapters are softer with more CA in the edges compared to Metabones III.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
drjlo said:
Researching into AF adapters for A7R, here are the apparent choices:

The ones without AF are pretty cheap, but there are quite a few that preserve AF, IS. From researching these in an effort to find a reliable one, the user experience seems to be that AF is similarly slow via all of them, and each has different electronics/software leading to one working better with some lenses while another adapter may work better with other lenses (Canon or third party).

Metabones Mk III adapter seems to be the most popular with most user reviews but also the most expensive at $400. It does not work with all lenses at all, however:
"Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus."

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM3
A Youtube video showing the AF speed with Metabones adapter.
SONY A7R + Canon EF 20mm f2.8 AUTO FOCUS SPEED

My next choice would be RJ Electronics one which is cheaper with good user reviews available. Some claim it gives sharper results than Metabones III (how?) and works with older Canon lenses unlike Metabones. RJ admits it does not work well with Sigma lenses. I read one user who said that Canon 100L Macro did NOT AF when focus limiter was set to 0.3-0.5m (Macro range) but AF was fine at other settings including "Full."

http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

This Viltrox zinc-alloy one seems okay as well. I have a Viltrox Canon EF to M adapter which works OK though a bit loose on camera end. One can find a couple of user reviews on line, so at least you know it "works."

I found a video on Youtube that shows AF speed with Viltrox adapter and Canon 17-40L.
Sony a7 auto focus with the Canon 17-40L lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-focus-AF-Adapter-Canon-EF-EF-S-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-Camera-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-/181327865685?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a37fba755

This Chinese one is claimed to be made from brass with AF intact. Unfortunately, no user reviews can be found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-Mount-Lens-Mount-Auto-Focus-Adapter-for-Sony-NEX-7-a7-a7R-5N-5R-3N-/271342856622?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3f2d4b69ae

This "King" adapter looks interesting as well but again no reviews can be found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201023366624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If people have experience with these adapters, please share.
Great work putting it all together drjlo ... thanks for sharing ... personally I prefer the Metabones, because all my lenses auto focus with it (except 50 f/1.4), also the tripod mount can be easily removed, so the adapter becomes smaller and a tiny bit lighter.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
Great work putting it all together drjlo ... thanks for sharing ... personally I prefer the Metabones, because all my lenses auto focus with it (except 50 f/1.4), also the tripod mount can be easily removed, so the adapter becomes smaller and a tiny bit lighter.

Thanks from me, too. So far my only AF problem with the Metabones is that my 70-200 f4 IS had a hard time focusing at 200mm. (Maybe it didn't help that it was below freezing when I tried it; if it ever warms up significantly here I'll try it again!) No problems with 24-105L, 100L, 85 1.8, 40mm pancake, or 28 IS. The only Canon mount Sigma lens I own is the 50-500 OS, but I can't imagine ever wanting to attach that monstrosity to my A7r!

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
sdsr said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Thanks from me, too. So far my only AF problem with the Metabones is that my 70-200 f4 IS had a hard time focusing at 200mm. (Maybe it didn't help that it was below freezing when I tried it; if it ever warms up significantly here I'll try it again!) No problems with 24-105L, 100L, 85 1.8, 40mm pancake, or 28 IS. The only Canon mount Sigma lens I own is the 50-500 OS, but I can't imagine ever wanting to attach that monstrosity to my A7r!

Oh, but do try the Sigma on Metabones and let us know if it autofocuses AT ALL, however slow.
It seems awful difficult to find an adapter that will work decent with Sigma lenses, which is a shame since I can see the Sigma ART lenses may on people's minds for A7R.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
drjlo said:
sdsr said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Oh, but do try the Sigma on Metabones and let us know if it autofocuses AT ALL, however slow.
It seems awful difficult to find an adapter that will work decent with Sigma lenses, which is a shame since I can see the Sigma ART lenses may on people's minds for A7R.
Even if it does not auto focus, the good thing about the A7/R is that we can use focus peaking, which is much faster than auto focus with the adapter ... and focus peaking on the a7/R is very easy too ... if you haven't tried it already, try it and you'll like it.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
drjlo said:
Finally here. A7R with FE55mm f/1.8. Reading the manual now, but how do you move the focus point around?

EOSE1378 by drjlo1, on Flickr
Congratulations, may it serve you well. To change the focus point:
Hit "Fn" button, choose "Focus Area" and select "Flexible Spot M" ... then you can use the Control Wheel on the back of the camera to select the focus point.

Upvote 0