Lens Announcement Coming in February? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=15747"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=15747">Tweet</a></div>
<p>We’re told at least one lens will be announced after the CP+ show, most likely the last week of February, or first week of March. It’s speculated by the source that a replacement for the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162616-USA/Canon_2577A002AA_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6L_IS_USM.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS</a> will be unveiled. It was also mentioned that availability would not be “immediate”.</p>
<p>This is a first time source, please treat this information accordingly.</p>
<p><em><a href="ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007GQLS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00007GQLS&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS at Amazon</a></em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Oct 18, 2011
Aegis1984 said:
I'm hoping with baited breath for a 12-24/14-24 with immediate availability, but I won't be disappointed if we will have to wait. I'd just like to know now if there is another lens purchase in my near future, or if my 15-85 will have to stay in service for a while longer.
I'm curious, assuming you are on APS-C (with the 15-85), why you are waiting for what will likely be a $2000+ ultrawide when great ones exist at 1/4 that price?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Canon Rumors said:
It was also mentioned that availability would not be “immediate”.</p>
LOL
If it’s not immediate, why not announce it before or during the CP+?
I would think that the marketing would be better, if they could show a prototype on the fair.
If they could not, why not wait until its availability?
Is the Tamy 150 - 600 so scary to Canon?

If yes, then Tamron/Sigma keep on pushing... :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
unfocused said:
I actually find this believable, as Canon probably wants to stem the bleeding from the Tamron 600 zoom.
+1 ... that's exactly what I thought when I read: "replacement for the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS will be unveiled. It was also mentioned that availability would not be immediate”.
I wouldn't mind waiting for this lens and see what Canon comes up with ... I'm pretty sure it will be awesome but I want to see at what price ... going by Nikon's pricing for the 80-400 VR II, I think Canon most likely will charge close to $3000 ... but again, if the IQ of the new Canon 100-400 beats the crap out of the Tamron 150-600 VC, then it is worth it ... but if its just a little better :-\ ... choices/decisions are not good for people suffering from GAS.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Rienzphotoz said:
unfocused said:
I actually find this believable, as Canon probably wants to stem the bleeding from the Tamron 600 zoom.
+1 ... that's exactly what I thought when I read: "replacement for the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS will be unveiled. It was also mentioned that availability would not be immediate”.
I wouldn't mind waiting for this lens and see what Canon comes up with ... I'm pretty sure it will be awesome but I want to see at what price ... going by Nikon's pricing for the 80-400 VR II, I think Canon most likely will charge close to $3000 ... but again, if the IQ of the new Canon 100-400 beats the crap out of the Tamron 150-600 VC, then it is worth it ... but if its just a little better :-\ ... choices/decisions are not good for people suffering from GAS.
Having the old 100-400L already and being quite pleased with its performance and size (!) I am lucky that I don't need any action, but...
As you say, people suffering from GAS always would like to have something better, newer. So maybe I should hope for such a price as $3000, which in my opinion is much too much for it and my suffering would end immediately ;)
If they come to a more rational price like $/€ 2500 or even 2300 and if the price would go down like the 24-70 II did, then it would be very dangerous for me and my savings :-\

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
Woody said:
I hope to see multiple lens releases in their first announcement. Otherwise, the so-called Year of the Lens for Canon is starting with a whimper.
Year of the lens - brought to you by Sigma.
Year of the sensor - brought to you by Sony.
Year of the mirrorless - brought to you by Fuji, Sony and Olympus.

Year of the printers and special edition powershots - brought to you by "you know who".

Upvote 0
L

Lichtgestalt

Ricku said:
Year of the lens - brought to you by Sigma.
Year of the sensor - brought to you by Sony.
Year of the mirrorless - brought to you by Fuji, Sony and Olympus.

Year of the printers and special edition powershots - brought to you by "you know who".

just as info... you are boring!

and back to topic.. i too find it highly unlikely that they will make the announcement short after CP+

and given that this is a new source.... i guess it´s CR0.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Haydn1971 said:
It's also about time we had a Canon 1.4x and 2.0x extender that retained AF past f5.6/8.0 - I'm sure it's a marketing ploy rather than technical - or at least extend the f8.0 AF capability to the recent batch of midrange cameras - 6D & 70D with a disclaimer
It's not the extender which stops AF from functioning. It's not the lens. It's the combination of the two which creates the resulting maximum aperture, and that's either inside or outside of the range of the AF system built into the body.

No-one creates a 1.4x converter which doesn't result in a focal length 1.4x longer and an aperture one whole stop slower.

And similarly speaking, no-one makes a 2x converter which doesn't result a focal length 2x longer and two whole stops slower than the native lens.

The only workaround to keep AF working (and without bodges) is to make sure you've got the maximum aperture of the combined lens/TC within the AF limits of the body.

Phase detect AF works by comparing the two phases (halves/sides) of the lens when looking at an object - exactly like a split prism focus screen. If the aperture is too small, those off angles required aren't supplied by the lens, so the split prism goes black (or the AF module gets no light). It's as simple as that.

There is usually a small margin in there, so there will be a software limit slightly before the hardware limit; this is simply the manufacturers way of producing a product where people don't get bad AF experiences.

For instance, the old taping the contacts trick to fool the max aperture, or use a 2x and a 1.4x to get incorrect reporting (or even a zoom which reaches f6.3 at the long end) all trick the AF system into thinking it's got a lens within its limits, so AF functions.

I've tried a 70-200/2.8 with a 2x and 1.4x on a 40D - f8 lens on a body which should only AF up to f5.6 - AF operated, but it hunted all over the place without locking on. I did occasionally manage to get something out of it by manually focusing and then letting AF take over once I'd done all the hard work, but even then it had about a 90% failure rate.

Upvote 0
If the new 100-400 is another extending zoom lens like the latest flimsy Sony and Nikon zooms I personally wouldn't bother waiting for it.

The new Nikon 80-400 appears to be hardly any sharper than Canon's current 100-400 and is a lot more expensive.

The current Canon 100-400 lens is a very good design and the only way Canon will significantly improve on it is to bring out an IF version say 140-400/5.6 ie a scaled up version of the peerless 70-200/2.8.

But will they do that - I doubt it - it would be to sharp and affect sales further up the chain. That's Canon logic for you.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Haydn1971 said:
It's also about time we had a Canon 1.4x and 2.0x extender that retained AF past f5.6/8.0 - I'm sure it's a marketing ploy rather than technical

LOL.

Haydn1971, meet optical physics. Optical physics, meet Haydn1971. It's clear the two don't know each other. ;)

The f/number is a ratio of focal length to the diameter of the iris diaphragm. Putting the TC behind the lens increases the focal length, but doesn't change the physical aperture inside the lens.

A 400mm f/5.6 lens has a 71.4mm physical aperture: 400mm/71.4mm = 5.6. If you put a 1.4x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 1.4x, to 560mm. Therefore, you now have a 560mm/71.4mm = f/7.84 (call it f/8) lens. If your camera supports AF at only f/5.6, AF won't work.

A 200mm f/2 lens has a 100mm physical aperture: 200mm/100mm = 2. If you put a 2x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 2x, to 400mm. Therefore, you now have a 400mm/100mm = f/4 lens.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
neuroanatomist said:
Haydn1971 said:
It's also about time we had a Canon 1.4x and 2.0x extender that retained AF past f5.6/8.0 - I'm sure it's a marketing ploy rather than technical

LOL.

Haydn1971, meet optical physics. Optical physics, meet Haydn1971. It's clear the two don't know each other. ::)

The f/number is a ratio of focal length to the diameter of the iris diaphragm. Putting the TC behind the lens increases the focal length, but doesn't change the physical aperture inside the lens.

A 400mm f/5.6 lens has a 71.4mm physical aperture: 400mm/71.4mm = 5.6. If you put a 1.4x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 1.4x, to 560mm. Therefore, you now have a 560mm/71.4mm = f/7.84 (call it f/8) lens. If your camera supports AF at only f/5.6, AF won't work.

A 200mm f/2 lens has a 100mm physical aperture: 200mm/100mm = 2. If you put a 2x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 2x, to 400mm. Therefore, you now have a 400mm/100mm = f/4 lens.
As far as I understand Haydn1971, it's not about retaining the aperture to the same value as without TC,
but to keep AF still working, even if the aperture gets to values above f5.6/8.0 with TC on,
as it is still working with the 1DX.
If so, of course we are still talking about optical physics, because the lens now gathers less light and the AF sensor must be sensible enough to deliver a proper and reliable AF.

Upvote 0