Lens Cap and Hood Problems

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
ahsanford said:
From personal experience, the 24-70 f/2.8L was optimal for shading, sure, but it was a nightmare for travel, hiking, etc. That hood was simply massive and tended to require special a shell-game rearranging of dividers in my bag.

And reversing the hood on the lens for easier storage (a) dramatically increased its 'holstering footprint' in your bag and (b) made quick draw-and-shoot activities very difficult as the hood was so big it blocked your focus and zoom rings when you reversed it!

So as much as I appreciate what that hood + reverse lens zooming direction did well, it had some clear drawbacks as well. I understand why Canon abandoned it.

- A

I've never attempted to shoot with the hood reversed on the lens, but I appreciate your comment. (Ever have anyone approach you in those situations and "educate you" that the hood is supposed mounted the other way 'round?)

As for its footprint in the bag, your comments remind me of my experiences with the 17-40's hood ... that thing was also a space-eating nightmare to pack.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
JonAustin said:
I've never attempted to shoot with the hood reversed on the lens, but I appreciate your comment. (Ever have anyone approach you in those situations and "educate you" that the hood is supposed mounted the other way 'round?)

As for its footprint in the bag, your comments remind me of my experiences with the 17-40's hood ... that thing was also a space-eating nightmare to pack.

Why do hoods snap on to lenses backwards? The same reason why 24-something zooms are external zooming: to save bag space.

Yeah, I only shoot with the hood reversed in quick 'stop-and-pop' situations. This might be when I spot some wildlife from the car, when I'm on a travel/street walkabout where I don't want the camera in view at all times, shooting out the side of a airplane window, etc.

I also do it in the odd circumstance of using a CPL and frequently moving between horizontal and vertical shooting (perhaps on a hike). It's a PITA to reset the the polarization around the hood every time I change orientation, so if I'm in a hurry in that circumstance, the hood stays reversed.

And no, surprisingly, no one's ever called me out on my hood being backwards. It's amazing how a blackrapid + 5D3 + L lenses tend to shut down advice/comments from other photographers. :D

- A

Upvote 0