Lens recomendation for infant passport photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all
I want to take a passport photo for my new born son. I will not say how difficult it is to catch a moment when baby has eyes open , mouth closed and does not move head even if it its restricted by some towel or cloth.
I could use some suggestions on lens that i could use.
I want to use 5d mkII with one of these
I have 50mm f1.4-
100mm f2.8L IS -
70-200mm f2. 8 IS II -

DARSON said:
Hello to all
I want to take a passport photo for my new born son. I will not say how difficult it is to catch a moment when baby has eyes open , mouth closed and does not move head even if it its restricted by some towel or cloth.
I have 50mm f1.4-
100mm f2.8L IS -
70-200mm f2. 8 IS II -

Well, in a way it doesn't really matter, does it. You take the one that works for you in the working space you have, the zoom gives you the best flexibility. And as to aperture, I'm sure the officials don't care about ultrathin DOF, they need everything sharp, so you better stop down to f16 (played a bit with dofmaster), and/or stay towards the wider angle side for better DOF (or even move back and crop to increase dof).

Upvote 0
DARSON said:
Hello to all
I have 50mm f1.4-
100mm f2.8L IS -
70-200mm f2. 8 IS II -

I took a self-portrait for a passport photo recently with the 135. It worked fairly well given the guidelines (on how far the camera should be from the subject) -- they really want a telephoto shot. 50mm is too short. The 70-200mm is by far your best choice.

It would be ideal to have three lights (front left, front right and background) but as that was not practical for me, I used window light on my right, and had bounce-flash from the left. There was a faint shadow in the background but I was able to get rid of it by cranking up exposure in post (if you look at the examples in the official guidelines, they really want the brightness turned up)

You will at the very least want a way to get decent light sources from front-left and front-right (so you don't get shadows on the face)

I agree with others who suggest stopping down a bit (e.g. f/8)

Upvote 0
Deep down I was thinking about 70-200 :) as primary choice.
I have strong light through my window in a living room and I could bounce 2 flashes against nearby walls.
I saw on one website suggestion to put baby in a car sit and put some white sheet underneath. Since car sit is profiled to baby shape it gives nice support to head. Only one ...two things remains to do. Wait until he will keep his eyes open and mouth shut long enough to take shot

Upvote 0
Harry Muff said:
Dear Darson
Please don't take your baby on a plane.
Yours, the rest of the plane.

Dear Harry,
are you planning to hijack one soon? Should I prefer an ocean-going liner?
Thanks! ;D ;D ;D
Yours,
Pierlux

OK, seriously... either the 100 or the 70-200 @ f/5.6 - 8.

Darson, congrats to you and best wishes to your baby!!! :)

Upvote 0
Your baby won't sit upright for another six months, so be prepared to lay him/her on some white linen or whatever. You will have to hold your camera above your baby's head, and given the size of a baby's head you will need to either get quite close (--> macro lens) or just crop (---> your 50). Sharpness is a non issue as even the bottom of a Coke bottle suffices the requirements of a passport photo.

The biggest challenge will be to get the lighting right, as the background will be right at the back of your baby's head. While flash won't hurt your baby if used reasonably, they don't like it much so you may have only a few tries before the session needs a long break.

Upvote 0
Rudeofus said:
Your baby won't sit upright for another six months, so be prepared to lay him/her on some white linen or whatever. You will have to hold your camera above your baby's head, and given the size of a baby's head you will need to either get quite close (--> macro lens) or just crop (---> your 50). Sharpness is a non issue as even the bottom of a Coke bottle suffices the requirements of a passport photo.

The biggest challenge will be to get the lighting right, as the background will be right at the back of your baby's head. While flash won't hurt your baby if used reasonably, they don't like it much so you may have only a few tries before the session needs a long break.

I'm looking forward to see him sitting after six months or bit sooner
I do not know if you have children but If you saw car seat for a baby up to 1 year old you could see that is more semi lying/semi sitting position ;)
As for background In my country they allow some discrepancy in compare to other countries. Meaning it does not have to be nice and straight. Main condition is that has to be a sort of "whitish" color

Upvote 0
adhocphotographer said:
70-200 @ f/8, against a white wall with soft light from both sides of the subject....
When I was taking my baby's photo for his passport at 1 month old, I found the minimum focal distance of the 70-200 too great. A ring flash was great for even illumination.
I used the 100L + MR-14EX flash, with the baby lying on a white towel on the floor. f9 and 1/100th. The mistake I made with the first couple were not leaving enough space to allow cropping to size with the eyes on the right line. It actually worked better when I took in landscape rather than portrait, and cropped to portrait.
Attached is the photo we used. Not a great photo, but meets the exacting requirements for an Irish Passport.
(ps my baby has been on a Ferry, but not on a plane.....)

Attachments

• IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 573
Upvote 0
Lens doesn't matter, camera doesn't matter - probably 80% + of all passport photos are taken with a
special purpose polaroid at your corner drug or office supply store. The only thing that does matter is
that is a clear, well exposed head shot that fits within the size parameters determined by the state
department (or whatever department in whatever country you're in that controls passports). The photo
should be "recognizable" and not shroud or disfigure the facial recognition in anyway. The thing is for
identification not entering in a portrait contest. In this case, at least, size does matter!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.