Lens Recommendation for Weddings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mogud

Many years ago I was a very busy wedding photographer using all Hasselblad equipment. I carried three film backs, a spare body, three Zeiss lens (50mm WA, 80mm, 150mm portrait lens) and a tripod. If I were to start doing weddings again now, I would carry the 5D Mk 11, 7d, 24-105mm and the 100mmL Macro lens(it's one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes). I rarely used the 50mm Zeiss WA and so carrying a wide angle like the 24mm is unnecessary and more weight to lug around. I would leave the 10-20mm at home because it will distort faces and make everybody wider than they are. I can't imagine lugging around the 70-200mm f/2.8, so I'd also not bring it. I'd also have a large white umbrella, two 580 EX I's or EX II and the Epsom P-6000 Multimedia viewer to lbackup my CF cards all day long. I would never take CF cards larger than 8 gb and I would have 4 cards with backups. One card for the brides home shots, one for the church, one for the portraits and one for the reception. IMHO, the day is too hectic to be changing lenses. if you want to carry many lenses, they should be mounted on their own body. My perspective and 2 cents.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Use your 7D. Buy a Canon 17-55/2.8 IS and an 85/1.8 or 100/2. These are sharp wide open, focus without hesitation, and focus with great accuracy. This is all you really need. I know, because I own the set and I've worked assisting a wedding pro.

Be sure to have backup: another body, standard zoom (maybe the 18-135 that you hate) and a second hotshoe flash.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
EYEONE said:
Or would the extra low light performance [of the 5DII] be more useful

The 5DII does much better in low light than the 7D. ISO 3200 is actually usable on my 5DII, whereas on my 7D I really don't like going over ISO 800, and that's with DxO to handle the noise in post. That's the obvious advantage. Less obvious but still significant is that the 5DII's AF system does better in low light than the 7D (even though the 7D's AF system is overall much better, especially with moving subjects).

One thing I like about having both the 7D and the 5DII - they use the same battery.

The 24-70mm and 24-105mm are both excellent, and both are better on FF.

For an ultrawide lens, the 10-22mm on your 7D is a great option - distortion at 10mm is much, much less than with the 16-35mm at 16mm on a full frame body.

Just my 2¢. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
The 5DII does much better in low light than the 7D. ISO 3200 is actually usable on my 5DII, whereas on my 7D I really don't like going over ISO 800, and that's with DxO to handle the noise in post. That's the obvious advantage. Less obvious but still significant is that the 5DII's AF system does better in low light than the 7D (even though the 7D's AF system is overall much better, especially with moving subjects).

I agree,

I sold my backup camera (1D MK II) and ordered a 7D the same day they were announced. When it arrived, I spent a week shooting with it. I found that I did not like the noise when I used it over ISO 800, while I use my 5D MK II at ISO 3200 all the time.

I returned the 7D and bought a 1D MK III, which is excellent at ISO 1600, but ISO 3200 is a stretch. Both 5D MK II, and 1D MK III get lots of use. Lightroom 3 does change things a little, it makes the usable ISO go up about 1/2 stop.

Upvote 0
C

CanonFreak23

Hey everyone. Currently I shoot with a 5DMKII and a 24-105 4.0L and a 14mm 2.8L. You guys talk about shooting weddings without flashes but I'm curious how your able to do that. The reason I ask is because during the wedding and reception that seems easy to do but what about during group shots at the end of the wedding and things like that. Are their not harsh shadows on people's faces? Anyways I would love to get to this but maybe it's because were I'm from some of our churches have HORRIBLE lighting. Well anything you can provide would help in what i need to do with being able to shoot without a flash. Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanonFreak23 said:
...what about during group shots at the end of the wedding and things like that. Are their not harsh shadows on people's faces? Anyways I would love to get to this but maybe it's because were I'm from some of our churches have HORRIBLE lighting.

Get more than one flash, get them off your camera, and use modifiers (umbrellas/softboxes) to soften the light.

Upvote 0
C

CanonFreak23

neuroanatomist said:
CanonFreak23 said:
...what about during group shots at the end of the wedding and things like that. Are their not harsh shadows on people's faces? Anyways I would love to get to this but maybe it's because were I'm from some of our churches have HORRIBLE lighting.

Get more than one flash, get them off your camera, and use modifiers (umbrellas/softboxes) to soften the light.

Yea I've got 2 flashes off camera on a wireless system. Depending on the situation I'll have the umbrella reflect or shot through. But they were talking about not using lighting at all so I was wondering how they accomplish that

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
CanonFreak23 said:
Hey everyone. Currently I shoot with a 5DMKII and a 24-105 4.0L and a 14mm 2.8L. You guys talk about shooting weddings without flashes but I'm curious how your able to do that. The reason I ask is because during the wedding and reception that seems easy to do but what about during group shots at the end of the wedding and things like that. Are their not harsh shadows on people's faces? Anyways I would love to get to this but maybe it's because were I'm from some of our churches have HORRIBLE lighting. Well anything you can provide would help in what i need to do with being able to shoot without a flash. Thanks

F4 and f 2.8 are really not that fast for low light, f 2.8 will often work at slow shutter speeds, but if you do not use flash, get fast primes. My 35mm L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 135mmL really outshine my 24-105mm l which I have mostly relegated to outdoor use.

If you have shadows, then 2 or 3 flashes and possibly reflectors as well are needed to provide even light.

I took this recently at a high school play using a single on-camera flash with diffuser. I did not have my setup along with the light stands, reflectors, etc. I printed this on a 16 inch wide roll of paper, about 30 some inches long. The kids all signed it and gave it to the drama teacher.
1168687481_X4wHC-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
One consideration is the trend to very large prints for weddings. At least the last several I have been to in the last few months. A 5D II will have the advantage there. I would rent a 5DII and do most of the shooting of the Bride, Bride/Groom with that - those are the shots that tend to get turned into very large prints. The 5DII combined with a 50mm 1.4 gives you a nice lens for candid shots indoors at the reception in available light.

Upvote 0
M

micromirror

EYEONE said:
Ok, so everyone has said to get a second body. I'll either rent a 5D mark II or another 7D. I'm tempted to get another 7D because I could design my kit around a focal length multiplier. Or would the extra low light performance be more useful

Rent:
7D (or 5D Mark II)
EF 24mm L

Buy:
EF-S 10-22mm
EF 85mm 1.8
EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS (Mark I if I can find it, I can't afford the Mark II)

Sell:
EF-S 18-135mm
Tamron 60mm f2.0 (maybe)

Having at least one FF camera is useful because then your options really open up at the wide angle end to include lots of lovely primes from Zeis, etc.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
Three very good L zoom lens that i have used for weddings, my 24-70L 2.8 is a hammer that hits the nail on the head all day and night. Its versatile and the color and contrast are wonderful. APS-C cameras are not good at low or available light, no matter what the manufacture lets you dial the ISO up too!!. I would say spend some of your money and a transmitter/receiver kit like one from quantum and a reliable but inexpensive room light like the alien bees 400. Its light reliable and inexpensive. The transmitters will allow you to turn the room light on or off with a flip of a switch. This gives you creative versatility and the ability to get nice lower ISO high quality shots that are absolutely expected. Grandma and everyone else with a crappy point and shoot with have tons of grainy available light shots.
btw I have seen people talk about soft copies of lenses but don't forget that the camera bodies are not always perfectly calibrated either. Your 7d has a micro adjust feature that can be used to fine tune all of your lenses. That or send the body and lens together to canon to be calibrated together.

Upvote 0
C

Caring

micromirror said:
Having at least one FF camera is useful because then your options really open up at the wide angle end to include lots of lovely primes from Zeis, etc.

Except that you will never use a Zeiss lens for a wedding (as Canon mount ones are manual focus except for the antique Carl Zeiss Jenner lenses!).

I would highly recommend the Canon 17-55mm EFS f/2.8 IS USM lens for weddings on the 7D. There is no other lens with the fast speed and the IS to match.

It is usually compared with the 24-70mm (I have both), but for a 1.6x crop camera the L glass is a bit tight, and it is not as versatile in low light without the IS. Many people say that IS is a gimmick as you can workaround with bracing and other stability techniques. But when the bride and groom hug or kiss and you have a split second to take the photo, there is no time for that. Fast aperture with IS is da bomb in weddings.

Thanks,

Caring

Upvote 0
I guess your lens choice depends greatly on the type of weddings that you will be photographing and the aproach that you are taking. I'm a UK wedding photographer and I shoot with available light (no flashes). I tend to use zooms in the summer, but fast primes in the winter where it's generally a lot darker. On a sunny day, I'll choose a 24-70/2.8 L on one 5DII and a 135L on my other 5DII. In winter or during a ceremony with less light, I'll choose a 35 f1.4 L and an 85mm f1.2 IIL combo or a 24 f1.4 II L and a 50 f1.2 L combo, depending on the size of the venue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.