Lens that had potential problems - is it worth a purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

21tones

I'm considering buying an EF-S 18-200 zoom from a used equipment dealer. Somewhere on the web ( I can't remember) I found that that lens had been identified as having a potential fault, in that screws came loose internally jamming the zoom mechanism. This was on lenses with serial numbers between 45oxxx and 63xxx. The serial number of this lens is in that range. The dealer does give a 6 month warranty and says the lens has been checked prior to sale. I think I would rather buy from a dealer than on e-bay. I don't know the likelihood of this fault occurring, or whether it has done previously and been fixed.
What do you think - is it worth a gamble or not?

Jul 21, 2010
21tones said:
Somewhere on the web ( I can't remember) I found that that lens had been identified as having a potential fault, in that screws came loose internally jamming the zoom mechanism. This was on lenses with serial numbers between 45oxxx and 63xxx. The serial number of this lens is in that range.

Canon issued a Service Advisory about that. In those cases, the defective product is serviced by Canon regardless of warranty status. However, I'm not sure what the policy would be for a lens bought used - you might want to call Canon (1-800-OK-CANON) and ask them...

Upvote 0
K

katwil

I have one of these, and was unaware of the potential issue until I read this post. I just checked my lens and found that it falls in the range you’ve listed. Although the EF-S 18-200 is out of my rotation now, I must have taken a couple thousand shots with it before I moved into the FF and L world. I’ve had no issues with the lens at all. While the EF-S 18-200 has its faults, versatility is not one of them.

Upvote 0
K

katwil

21tones said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm in the UK so I'll contact Canon here about it.
Katwil - given your experience it might be alright? As you say, versatility as a walk-about lens is why I am interested in this one.
Yes, definitely. The 18-200 gives you a lot of range, and is very good for travel situations. I’ll post a couple examples separately below.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.