Lensbaby announces the Velvet 28 lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Portland, OR — Lensbaby – makers of award-winning DSLR & mirrorless lenses, optics and accessories announces today the availability of its newest lens, the Velvet 28, a 28mm, f/2.5 all-metal, hand-crafted art lens that, at its brightest apertures, captures tack-sharp detail beneath a layer of radiant glow. Velvet 28 also features exceptional 1:2 macro capabilities. Built with landscape, adventure, travel, street photographers & videographers in mind, the Velvet 28 offers Lensbaby’s popular variable glow effect at a wide 28mm focal length, with a design that makes flat light interesting and harsh light more pleasing. “With this solid, beautifully crafted lens, every hour is magic hour. There’s no need to take the day off from shooting between dawn and dusk,” says Craig Strong, Lensbaby Chief Creative Officer and Co-Founder. “The amount of effect in your image is up to you. Add as much or as little variable glow as you like by changing your aperture. The Velvet 28 offers more...

Continue reading...

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Good lens if you need to create double-vision-induced nausea in your audience.
I couldn't watch the promo video to the end.

Alternatively you could smear lipstick on cellophane over your existing lenses.
I'm with you, the lens looks well built and I love manual lenses for video; my voigtlander M43rd lenses are some of my favorites when paired with the GH5, but this video was very hard to watch. I had to look away a few times to make sure it was was not my eyesight. The effect is way too over the top and if I wanted something like that I'd rather do it in post where I can adjust the effect as desired vs burning it into the source footage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm with you, the lens looks well built and I love manual lenses for video; my voigtlander M43rd lenses are some of my favorites when paired with the GH5, but this video was very hard to watch. I had to look away a few times to make sure it was was not my eyesight. The effect is way too over the top and if I wanted something like that I'd rather do it in post where I can adjust the effect as desired vs burning it into the source footage.

It reminds me of the time, while I was losing the hearing in one ear, that I was at work and suddenly the monitor in front of me went blurry.

For a split second I thought "Not my eyes too!!!!"

Yeah I don't see the point to a lens that won't quite focus. I can manage that effect all on my own.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It reminds me of the time, while I was losing the hearing in one ear, that I was at work and suddenly the monitor in front of me went blurry.

For a split second I thought "Not my eyes too!!!!"

Yeah I don't see the point to a lens that won't quite focus. I can manage that effect all on my own.
I've had a few episodes like that.

I kept trying to figure out if it was out of focus by design or if that was supposed to be the effect. I'd much rather shoot tack sharp and throw a guassen blur over the top later than to present this footage to my client and have them say...can you fix the blurry parts.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've had a few episodes like that.

I kept trying to figure out if it was out of focus by design or if that was supposed to be the effect. I'd much rather shoot tack sharp and throw a guassen blur over the top later than to present this footage to my client and have them say...can you fix the blurry parts.

Some manufacturer was bragging about how their product would let you fix the focus after the picture was taken. Panasonic/Lummox?

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
I never did understand lensbaby lineup for the price they are. I get how having a gimmicky cheap lens and all those other plastic element wacky effect lenses are may be attractive to some and have a place, if you like overdone IG filters and want to get that kind of thing in-camera for instance. Same kind of market as those cheap lens mods for putting over mobile phone camera for throwaway snaps for FB and IG but at massive markup.

I don't mean that snarky as for some that may be enjoyable passtime and who am I to judge, if they enjoy that kind of thing I'm cool with it even if isn't my bag. What I don't get is given the price range they are a bit much for what is basically a toy so imagine they would be out of budget for those people, I know several friends who like that kind of thing but they'd consider anything touching triple figures way too much. For serious photo amateur and creative industry people who would consider the price very low and well within range at kit lens kinda price they are just a low quality gimmick so not sure who these are aimed at? Perhaps there is some other niche I'm missing (likely).

Upvote 0