LensCoat and Canon 400mm f5.6

Dec 23, 2015
Hi.
I'm thinking of getting one of these for this lens to protect against bumps. Opinions of anyone who has experience with this combo will be appreciated. One question: Does it allow the hood to be retracted?
Jay in Toronto

DJL329

EOS Rebel SL2
Aug 26, 2010
I have a LensCoat on my EF 300mm f/4L IS, which also has the retractable lens hood. The LensCoat extends past the end of the hood, but the hood still retracts without an issue.

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
Hi Jay.
I can't comment on the other brand in UK, but it looks promising.
I use lensCoat on all of my lenses. I have a number of longish, and long lenses, and love them with the following caveat. My smaller L lenses (ex. 24-70 2.8 II L, etc.) with smaller lens hoods, do not keep the coat on the hood well. I contacted the company and they told me to put two sided tape on the hood to help, but that doesn't work at all, and in that regard, I have never been happy.

I have a 300 mm 2.8 II L IS and it has a LensCoat. The LensCoat performs very well and the coat stays well on the hood. I cut a small cutout in the area of the tightening screw that secures the hood to the lens- for convenience and to seat the Coat better.

I think you will be satisfied with LensCoat if you choose it.

Scott

Dec 23, 2015
I use these for my 100-400 II, as well. They do ship globally (to Taiwan in my case).
I'd consider the covers from Outdoor Photography -- but after three days they haven't replied to my email questions (are the Canon 400mm f5.6 covers reversable, do they allow access to the focus switches).
Jay