Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Lots to come

<span style="font-weight: normal;">2011 will be the year of the lens, Canon is set to do a big refresh of their lens lineup in 2011. Nikon has done it in 2010.</span></strong></p>
<p>The first lens I’m still told will be the 24-70 redo, and we already know about the 500 & 600.</p>
<p>The lenses being replaced will be popular flagship type lenses to improve resolution power. The next 1Ds and 5D will be big megapixel cameras (sorry, they’re not done with that yet).</p>
<p>Does that mean no EF-S lenses? The only one I could getting a refresh is the 60 macro. I’d like to see the 17-55 get a build quality upgrade (they break a lot as a rental item).</p>
<p>There was also <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100925_396112.html">this interview</a> that mentions a big commitment to the EF mount and new products.</p>
<p><strong>Canon’s Mirrorless Entry

<span style="font-weight: normal;">“It’s a 2012 product”</span></strong></p>
<p>That’s all I was told about that.</p>
<p><strong>The Photographic, Video & Digital Imaging Show

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I’ll be heading to Toronto/Mississauga next Friday to attend the <a href="http://www.henrys.ca/Show/Imaging-Show.html">Henry’s show</a>. There won’t be anything new there, but I can bother the Canon reps. I’m hoping more of the new lenses will be available to touch.</span></strong></p>
<p>Happy Thanksgiving Canada!</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Jul 21, 2010
I doubt that the 400mm f/5.6L qualifies as a 'flagship-type' lens - that would be the 400mm f/2.8L IS that is being updated right now. I'd love it if they updated the 400/5.6 with IS, but I'm not holding my breath. The current 400mm f/4 is the DO lens - Canon doesn't seem in a rush to do much more with DO lenses...

The 100-400mm seems like a 'maybe' to me.

The 35mm f/1.4L would probably count as a flagship lens (it's in the 'holy trinity' 35/85/135L), making it likely that the 135 f/2L will also see an update (IS anyone?).

The 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IS were updated recently, so the 24-70mm would complete the 'holy trinity' of f/2.8 zooms. Anyone think they'll start on the f/4 trinity (17-40/4, 24-105/4, 70-200/4 IS)??

Here's my guess on 'flagship lens' updates - we'll see a 24-120mm f/4L IS from Canon launched as a kit lens with the 5DIII early in 2011. After the hue and cry from all the folks wanting a 24-70mm f/2.8 IS, they'll eventually release that one along side a 1DsIV, but not until 2012.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's a bad translation! It could mean anything by the time Google twists it! Anyone speak Japanese?

On a serious note, it's high time that Canon started to address some of the weak spots in its lens line up. Canon seem to have been polarised into releasing only low-end consumer zooms and high end 'L' series lenses for the last couple of years. The EF 50mm f/1.4 needs an upgrade to improve it optically at wide apertures (cf. Nikkor AF-S 50mm) and fix the design flaw that is its delicate AF system; I think that the latter issue puts off many a potential buyer (myself included). Canon badly needs a normal prime for APS-C users that is competitive with the offerings from the other manufacturers. And yes, a new 100-400mm would be nice, as well as a replacement 24-70mm f/2.8 L for the professionals (they're now a generation behind Nikon and Sony). I don't know if they'll bother with an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 replacement; an EF-S 15-55mm f/2.8 with better build quality would be an obvious development, but the reality is that the price of such a lens would probably put off potential buyers. Only 7D owners would be prepared to pay >$1500 for this lens and a lot of those have designs on moving to full frame. The Nikkor equivalent has pro build quality because it was released before Nikon went to full frame.

Here's hoping for a better 2011, lens wise, than 2010 was.

Upvote 0
M

macfly

Well they better be good, I rented the Nikon D3s for a shoot (with Elton John) in a recording studio yesterday where I had to work with available light. I was able to put up a row of little Christams tree lights around the triple paned soundproof window to light him, and also use a couple of well placed instument stands with built in lamps, before he arrived. I used the Nikon at 10,000 ASA, and the quality of the images was just breath taking. The camera almost created light where the eye couldn't percive any allowing me to shoot at 200th at between f1.4 - f2 with their 85 f1.4. Also the focusing screen is way nicer than the EOS, it is completely clear and clean, and the spread of auto focus points is wider, and more useful.

Canon, get a move on, and put your cards on the table, the competition is pushing the boat way far beyond where you are at the moment. After being a Canon user since 1991 I am not ruling out a switch back to Nikon. I bulit my career on their F3P, and it still my favorite all time camera. I still have mine, with my favorite primes, but haven't used them in almost twenty years!

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
Why is this posted in the bodies forum? Meh...

Year of the lens... like 10+ new introductions? That would really be something. I want more than one EF-S per year. I don't think Canon is gonna hit even that much this year.

EF-S 30mm f/1.8 USM
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro
EF-S 15-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 50-150mm f/2.8 IS USM
etc...

If the EF-S zooms were weather sealed to match the 7D, that would be quite godly.

(Cross your fingers!)

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

neuroanatomist said:
I doubt that the 400mm f/5.6L qualifies as a 'flagship-type' lens - that would be the 400mm f/2.8L IS that is being updated right now.

Note the words used are "popular flagship lenses" - I'm uncertain whether the 400mm f/2.8L is one of Canon's popular lenses.

My thoughts on lenses which I think are natural candidates for replacement:

A. Long non-L primes: 85/1.8, 100/2, 135/2.8, and 200/2.8 II.

B. Special lenses: TS-E 45mm & 90mm, MP-E 65mm f/2.8.

C. Misc lenses: 100-400/4.5-5.6L, 28-135/3.5-5.6, 35/1.4L, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8L.

D. Wide non-L primes: 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 28/1.8, 35/2, 50/1.8 II, and 50/2.5

IMHO, Canon will not upgrade any of the lenses in group A, because they are sharp, and because any upgrade will make the upgrades compete with the similar L lenses. Between lack of popularity and lack of competition, I'll bet canon will not upgrade any of the lenses in group B.

My 2 cents is 3-4 out of the 5 lenses in group C will be upgraded, and a new ultra-wide lens will be announced to compete with the Nikkor 14-24 and Sigma 12-24. With the already announced 500mm & 600mm lenses, that makes 6 lenses.

This makes me wonder about 2012 - with group C practically emptied in 2011, and group B being small, would Canon start replacing the lenses in groups A & D in 2012 ?

Upvote 0
didn't we hear the same thing back in 2010?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/01/predictions-for-2010-part-2-lenses/

IIRC you said 10+ lenses or more for 2010.

I have predicted 11 new lenses. My brain tells me that’s probably 3 too many. The big white lenses and fisheye lenses won’t be massive volume sellers, so I can see those produced alongside the volume lenses.

So the bold prediction? This will be the year of the lenses!

I'm curious, what has changed?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
richy said:
A 100-400 , weather sealed with 3-4 stop IS thats sharp wide open please mr canon :) I'll take one immediately at full list price if they do.

Just after they've offered you a weather-sealed 70-300mm with 4-stop IS that is sharp wide open (based on MTF charts anyway)?

Well...hope is a good thing (and in this case, it's a hope I share!).

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

The current generation of IS seems to have 4 stops claimed performance, which has translated into better than three and a half everywhere I've seen reviews. Three stops is what the third party manufacturers are up to now.

Interesting post...Canon has sprung another rebate (printer + DSLR combo) but I'm wondering if I really shouldn't sit tight for now. At the least, new purchases would be with an eye towards an upgrade.

Upvote 0
It's been 4 years since I've used a lens longer than 85mm, so I couldn't care less about Big Whites.

The only zoom I use is the EF-S 10-22. Don't use any zoom on full frame.

Where are the Canon equivalents to the 10.5 DX and 35 1.8 DX? The Nikon FX 24 1.4 , 35 1.4, 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are really excellent, Canon has some catching-up to do. Canon has never had anything like the 105 2.0DC and 135 2.0 DC lenses, why not?

i won't be selling my Canon stuff, but everything new will be Nikon. Nikon seems to be listening to me, and Canon isn't, simple as that.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Nothing has been taken care of as far as I am concerned. Until the 24-70 is in my hands it doesn't exist for me.

A 35L 1.4 IS upgrade would be superb. I'd like to see the holy trinity upgrades with IS and improved performance. although the 135 holds the least appeal for me, maybe upgraded to f 1.4 and given the super tele treatment?

35L is a great lens and I like using it, but it leaves something to be desired until stopped down to 2.8 or narrower. IS would help hugely at f/2.8-f/4 handheld in dark conditions.

85L 1.4 IS. This is a dream lens for me. I don't need 1.2 if it is slow to focus and doesn't deliver very good wide open performance. I've played around with the 85 1.2L II and while I see the appeal and think it should remain in the lens lineup, I think I would be better served by a faster, sharper, IS enabled 1.4 version.

135 1.4L IS. Sure, what the hell. Let's imagine it's a big honking white lens a la 200 f2L IS. But it's shorter at 135 and faster at 1.4.

Canon doesn't like to flat out replace lenses if they can help it. By adding IS and or reducing the widest aperture setting Canon can diversify its lens lineup without sacrificing the existing models.

Forget 10 (2 are super teles anyway), if I could pick 5 in 2011 here is my dream list in order of lust:

24-70 2.8L IS
12-24 2.8L
35 1.4L IS
85 1.4L IS
24-120 4L IS

MackieMoore said:
I don't know if any of these are realistic but
35mm f2.0 needs an update... (with USM or less noisy motor)
Also 35mm f1.4L with IS will be awesome.

And also it's good to know that
24-70mm f2.8L IS is coming ;D

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Feel your frustration. 2010 was supposed to be the year of lenses. It started great with the 70-200 2.8 IS II, but from there is got weird. I want a tele but I'm not buying one anytime soon at those prices. The 70-300 seems really redundant and looks heavy, fat, is too short at 300mm (70-400mm would have been a more noble pursuit Canon) and it has a variable aperture, blah. The zoom fisheye? For circular shots I guess--fringe.

But where are the mainstream lenses, L or otherwise?

c.d.embrey said:
It's been 4 years since I've used a lens longer than 85mm, so I couldn't care less about Big Whites.

The only zoom I use is the EF-S 10-22. Don't use any zoom on full frame.

Where are the Canon equivalents to the 10.5 DX and 35 1.8 DX? The Nikon FX 24 1.4 , 35 1.4, 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are really excellent, Canon has some catching-up to do. Canon has never had anything like the 105 2.0DC and 135 2.0 DC lenses, why not?

i won't be selling my Canon stuff, but everything new will be Nikon. Nikon seems to be listening to me, and Canon isn't, simple as that.

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
The Nikon FX 24 1.4 , 35 1.4, 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are really excellent, Canon has some catching-up to do. Canon has never had anything like the 105 2.0DC and 135 2.0 DC lenses, why not?

I agree that many Canon primes are in dire need for update and that Nikon seem to have more attractive versions, though I would have thought the EF 24/1.4L II to be a good match to the Nikon FX 24/1.4. I'm not too familiar with the Nikon lineup, but in what way are the Canon EF 100/2.0 USM and EF 135/2.0L USM nothing like the Nikon 105/2.0 DC and 135/2.0 DC lenses? Do the Nikons have significantly better IQ? Or do they have some other desirable property (IS? Low weight? Certainly not price?)?

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

I don't know what's going on, but surprisingly The Digital Picture has the TS-E 24mm just trouncing the EF 24mm f/1.4. At all shown apertures. Even wide open, at f/3.5, the TS-E is showing about as much - if not more - detail than the EF does at f/8. CA is better wide open on the TS-E than it is in any of the EF images. Looking at the reflection of the window - well, not only do you perhaps see a hint of there being a screen door in the TS-E shots, but in all the TS-E shots you can clearly see the moulding on the windows has a gentle inward curve, whereas in most of the EF 24mm shots it looks flat as a plank; the details are completely blotted out.

I've personally had great experiences with my 50mm, in most situations (especially around f/8 on sunny days of course) but some recent researches has led me to be skeptical of faster lenses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.