Lensrentals.com does a teardown of the new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM, compares it to version II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Lensrentals.com has completed a teardown of the brand new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III and compares it to the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. They discovered that there really isn’t any difference between the two in how they’re built.
From Lensrentals.com
Well, as Canon stated, there is no difference between the Mk II and Mk III versions. If you think there’s an optical or performance difference, please contact me about some Tennessee Beach-front property I have for sale. If you’re in the market for one of these in the near future, I’d snap up a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II at discount price if you can find it.
If you really like the new color do what we do for touchup paint: take the tripod ring...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
OK - I feel like a noob. I've owned the MkII for years. Just learned in the comments how to LOCK the IS. Had no idea! I guess that's what I get for only skimming the manual online shortly after purchase. LOL

In addition, this may explain why the one and only time my MkII dropped about 2ft on to a dirt road (in a soft case) that I thought I had broken it. But once I bumped it a few times, it was fixed. I suspected it was the IS mechanism that got stuck due to the shock. I guess I was right. And very lucky! Now I guess I'll start locking that lens!

Upvote 0
This is sad. Why to even bother with Mk. III release?

I wonder, companies like Sigma and Tamron can take their single optical formula and launch it with different mount for 3-4 manufacturers. Could Canon just delay this wonderful release and instead of Mk. III announce it as 70-200 with RF mount by keeping the same optical formula?

Upvote 0