LensRentals teardown of the 70-200 f/2.8L IS III

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A few interesting bits:
  • Holy hell. Uncle Rog has hundreds of copies of 70-200 2.8 lenses. Had no idea their inventory was that big.

• "But let me be clear, Canon made no claims that the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS III is anything more than some fresh paint, a few new labels, and some heavily marketed coatings that are what they’ve changed all their lenses to anyway. (As an aside, we despise the new fluorine front and rear coatings and consider them a significant step backward in durability; but that’s just our opinion.)"

• "Looking [at the IS module in the Mk II] from underneath, though, you can see the plastic posts that we sometimes mention. These occasionally break, possibly from shock during shipping. If the IS is not turned off, the lens group is free to bounce in all directions with only the posts to stop the motion."

• "Well, as Canon stated, there is no difference between the Mk II and Mk III versions. If you think there’s an optical or performance difference, please contact me about some Tennessee Beach-front property I have for sale. If you’re in the market for one of these in the near future, I’d snap up a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II at discount price if you can find it."
- A

Upvote 0