Lenstip review of Canon 85mm 1.4 L

hne said:
Viggo said:
I must clearify, mine doesn’t hunt, there’s no way of telling when shooting that it suddenly misses. I focuses quick and locks, I take the shot and it’s way off.

Mine doesn't hunt either, unless trying to focus on a small patch of texture-less something barely blocking the sun. Though sometimes, my camera tries to acquire focus on something totally different when subject tracking fails. It usually succeeds, generally on something in the far background.

There are some cases where I believe my spot AF single point slides off the target and the lens has to do a large shuffling of glass causing the next image in a burst to be out of focus, but that is rare and generally doesn't happen in subject tracking mode. Also mostly seems to happen in burst mode.

Viggo said:
Another point is that I, personally, only use Ai Servo

I don’t expect it being a faulty lens or camera, I just expected better, it being a new L and so on. Still my most used lens.

I also only use Ai Servo. Previously I always had either One-Shot or Ai Focus, but between the extreme shallow DOF and the absurdly slow shutter speeds possible with 85/1.4L IS I couldn't get more enough shots in focus even holding my breath.

It's my second most used lens, after the 35/1.4L. It is my 6th L lens. I expected worse.

I will not be able to test mine until the weekend, but what I plan to do is this:
Arrange for my subject to run towards the camera and shoot using my 5D mark 4's max burst rate of 7fps and AI servo, firstly at the maximum aperture of F1.4 and then at F5.6 as this is an aperture that I would often use for sports. I am expecting a higher keeper rate at F5.6 than at F1.4 but let's see what happens. The camera does predict the focus point for moving subjects to some extent, but whether it is good enough to focus correctly within the very narrow depth of field available at F1.4 remains to be seen.
Like you I often find that the camera often locks onto something with good contrast in the background, but that is always due to my inability to keep up with a moving subject. I have found that the best remedy is to use zone AF as focus will lock onto the nearest item with acceptable contrast that it can find within the focus zone, so I don't need to be quite so precise about where I place the focus point. It is like using automatic selection AF but using only the part of the scene that I am interested in.
When I am photographing a subject where there is no contrast I use AF point expansion - so it will look for good contrast with the neighbouring AF points if it is unable to achieve focus at the first attempt.

Last night I tested the lens for the first time using a subject that was sitting watching the telly and one shot AF. It focussed correctly every time and I obtained very sharp images using an aperture of F1.4. One thing that really impressed me was the image stabilisation and I was able to obtain sharp images with no camera shake at shutter speeds as low as 1/20 - not quite the full 4 stops that Canon claim but more than good enough for anything I am ever likely to do.
Originally I was going to compare the 85mm F1.4 against the F1.2 and my trusty 135mm F2, but as so many people have reported AF problems with this lens I will do the focussing tests first.

Upvote 0
First I got a Sigma 85/1,4 for testing.
IF it focused correctly, it was fine.
The issue with this lens: sometimes the Autofocus would not start. I had to give the focusring a Little Twist, then it started focusing, and was spot on.
But sometimes it started itself- like it should.
So to wait- does it or not was very annoying and is only acceptable in steady situations. If you want to make a snapshot- good luck. Chances are good you miss the shot.

The Canon 85/1,4 IS: fast, correct, if wide open it could miss the few Millimeters that makes it very sharp, but most of the time Focus is superb.
Bokeh is also very fine and enjoyable. A fantastic lens.

Both lenses used on the 1DX MkII and 5DMkIV

Upvote 0
alexanderferdinand said:
First I got a Sigma 85/1,4 for testing.
IF it focused correctly, it was fine.
The issue with this lens: sometimes the Autofocus would not start. I had to give the focusring a Little Twist, then it started focusing, and was spot on.
But sometimes it started itself- like it should.
So to wait- does it or not was very annoying and is only acceptable in steady situations. If you want to make a snapshot- good luck. Chances are good you miss the shot.

The Canon 85/1,4 IS: fast, correct, if wide open it could miss the few Millimeters that makes it very sharp, but most of the time Focus is superb.
Bokeh is also very fine and enjoyable. A fantastic lens.

Both lenses used on the 1DX MkII and 5DMkIV
Sounds like you might have a fault with your copy. Is it still under warranty and if so have you taken it back to the shop and explained the problem to them?
Do you see the autofocus problem with both One Shot and AI Servo?
So far I have only taken about 20 shots with mine and each time I used One Shot autofocus. It focussed accurately and instantly every time and the only shot that is not sharp is the one where I used a shutter speed of 1/13 - but what I am seeing is clearly camera shake not missed focus.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Will be interesting to see more people’s experience for sure!

I must clearify, mine doesn’t hunt, there’s no way of telling when shooting that it suddenly misses. I focuses quick and locks, I take the shot and it’s way off.

But, keep in mind, this isn’t like the Sigmas I used to own, and that most of you have read about, lol. I would say it works quite well, but I’m not used to having shots missed completely, the good thing is that in a burst where it misses the very next shot is sharp. Expect some weird misses and less great hitrate, but it’s better than the 1.8 and the 50 L.

Another point is that I, personally, only use Ai Servo

I don’t expect it being a faulty lens or camera, I just expected better, it being a new L and so on. Still my most used lens.
Today I tested the new Canon 85mm F1.4 on my Canon 5D mark 4 using AI servo and the high speed continuous drive mode, which allows me to shoot at up to 7 frames per second.
The primary reason for the test was to check the autofocus accuracy using AI servo to see if the lens missed focus at all and it involved photographing my daughter running towards the camera. I used Case 2 and focus priority for the first and subsequent shots and I ran the test twice - the first time using an aperture of F1.4 and the second time using an aperture of F5.6.
The focussing was just about perfect every time, and there is only one shot in the entire sequence that is slightly soft. In this picture the string from her hood flew up in front of her face and it looks like the camera focussed on that instead of her eyes.
Focussing was quick and accurate and although I did not time it precisely I was able to capture 26 frames in about 4 seconds, which is very close to the maximum of 7 frames per second.
I have also taken many pictures of stationary subjects with this lens using One Shot AF and every one is sharp.
So, I am unable to explain why you have been experiencing so many focussing problems. The only thing I can think of is that the lens might be faulty or possibly the lens is not making a good electrical connection with the camera. Have you tried cleaning the electrical connections at the bottom of the lens to see if that helps?

Upvote 0
shanayabindra said:
Awesome one. I will definitely buy one. Can anyone please tell me best website to buy this camera.
If there is a camera shop near where you live then I would always recommend trying a lens out before buying it. I bought mine from London Camera Exchange.
When I am unable to go to the shop in person for some reason, or for items such as filters, batteries and memory cards I have always found Wex Photographic to be very good.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ian_of_glos said:
shanayabindra said:
Awesome one. I will definitely buy one. Can anyone please tell me best website to buy this camera.
If there is a camera shop near where you live then I would always recommend trying a lens out before buying it. I bought mine from London Camera Exchange.
When I am unable to go to the shop in person for some reason, or for items such as filters, batteries and memory cards I have always found Wex Photographic to be very good.

What is a "camera shop"?

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Ian_of_glos said:
shanayabindra said:

What is a "camera shop"?
It is a shop where you buy cameras. There are a few left if you look hard enough.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ian_of_glos said:
YuengLinger said:
Ian_of_glos said:
shanayabindra said:

What is a "camera shop"?
It is a shop where you buy cameras. There are a few left if you look hard enough.

In our case, if we fly far enough. :-\

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Ian_of_glos said:
YuengLinger said:
Ian_of_glos said:
shanayabindra said:

What is a "camera shop"?

In our case, if we fly far enough. :-\
Ah that is unfortunate.
Maybe the place where you live is beautiful enough to make up for the lack of camera shops.

Upvote 0
To add my experiences to those of others, I've had 85 f/1.4L IS for about 4 months now, and taken around 1,000 frames with it.

I'm loving it, and have not experienced the odd out of focus shot within a stream. Having said that, I'm mostly using it on one shot, and AI Focus , and not often using a burst of more than 3/4 shots at a time (and mostly less).

For me, it is basically nailing focus (on 5DmkIII) nearly all of the time, and when it doesn't, it is down to the focus point having not been quite where I thought I'd put it (bearing in mind it has a thin doF at 1.4-2.0)

Just wondering if some of the burst issues others are seeing might be down to IS operation on a big aperture lens not being able to keep up with AF at circa 7 fps?

Upvote 0
StoicalEtcher said:
To add my experiences to those of others, I've had 85 f/1.4L IS for about 4 months now, and taken around 1,000 frames with it.

I'm loving it, and have not experienced the odd out of focus shot within a stream. Having said that, I'm mostly using it on one shot, and AI Focus , and not often using a burst of more than 3/4 shots at a time (and mostly less).

For me, it is basically nailing focus (on 5DmkIII) nearly all of the time, and when it doesn't, it is down to the focus point having not been quite where I thought I'd put it (bearing in mind it has a thin doF at 1.4-2.0)

Just wondering if some of the burst issues others are seeing might be down to IS operation on a big aperture lens not being able to keep up with AF at circa 7 fps?
My experience is similar to yours and I only have a very few shots where the lens did not focus accurately. I shot bursts of 25-30 frames using AI Servo and it focussed quickly and accurately almost every time. In my test the subject was running towards the camera, and the only shots that are out of focus are right at the start of the sequence when my subject is furthest away. I just watched Dustin's video and his experience is the same - there are a few out of focus shots when the runner is far away but as the runner approaches the camera every shot is focussed correctly.
Incidentally a lens with a wide maximum aperture (such as the 85mm F1.4L) will be able to focus more easily and more accurately than a lens with a small maximum aperture. In fact some of my focus points are not available at all if my lens has a small maximum aperture or they change from being cross type to only being sensitive to horizontal lines.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Ian_of_glos said:
Incidentally a lens with a wide maximum aperture (such as the 85mm F1.4L) will be able to focus more easily and more accurately than a lens with a small maximum aperture. In fact some of my focus points are not available at all if my lens has a small maximum aperture or they change from being cross type to only being sensitive to horizontal lines.

Actually I don't think you are correct here; certainly my experience is that really fast lenses aren't the best for accurate focusing, especially when tracking. I have found that the best ones are high quality ( i.e. L) lenses with an aperture of f/2.8, and I believe the reason is twofold. Firstly as you say, lenses of f/2.8 and faster activate and utilise the more precise AF sensors, but secondly those high quality f/2.8 lenses are considerably sharper with less spherical aberrations wide open than say an f/1.4 lens at 1.4, so the phase detect AF has more defined contrast and definition to work with. For instance using Lenstip results the Canon 85/1.4 has an MTF50 of around 33 at f/1.4, the 70-200/2.8 IS II is in the 44 region, and of course we are all using open aperture focusing nowadays. There's also the issue of spherical aberration causing focus shift though it seems the 85/1.4 doesn't really suffer from this in practice.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Actually I don't think you are correct here; certainly my experience is that really fast lenses aren't the best for accurate focusing, especially when tracking. I have found that the best ones are high quality ( i.e. L) lenses with an aperture of f/2.8, and I believe the reason is twofold. Firstly as you say, lenses of f/2.8 and faster activate and utilise the more precise AF sensors, but secondly those high quality f/2.8 lenses are considerably sharper with less spherical aberrations wide open than say an f/1.4 lens at 1.4, so the phase detect AF has more defined contrast and definition to work with. For instance using Lenstip results the Canon 85/1.4 has an MTF50 of around 33 at f/1.4, the 70-200/2.8 IS II is in the 44 region, and of course we are all using open aperture focusing nowadays. There's also the issue of spherical aberration causing focus shift though it seems the 85/1.4 doesn't really suffer from this in practice.
Thank you - I did not know that and I have always assumed that lenses with a max aperture of F2.8 or wider would be the best at focussing because they can make use of all the focus points, especially the cross type and dual cross type points. Certainly those lenses with relatively small maximum apertures like F5.6 tend to be the ones that hunt and struggle to find focus. However it is interesting to learn that there are some other factors that come into play.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ian_of_glos said:
My experience is similar to yours and I only have a very few shots where the lens did not focus accurately. I shot bursts of 25-30 frames using AI Servo and it focussed quickly and accurately almost every time. In my test the subject was running towards the camera, and the only shots that are out of focus are right at the start of the sequence when my subject is furthest away. I just watched Dustin's video and his experience is the same - there are a few out of focus shots when the runner is far away but as the runner approaches the camera every shot is focussed correctly.

My copy is also superb in consistency and accuracy, although i don't use it for action at all.

I think the autofocus is very fast, certainly snappy enough to keep me happy, though not among the fastest of Canon lenses.

Upvote 0