LensTip Review: Sigma 70mm Art Macro

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
FYI:

https://www.lenstip.com/534.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_70_mm_f_2.8_DG_Macro_Image_resolution.html

- A

drjlo

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 27, 2012
That's some of the SLOWEST AF speed I've seen anywhere, even for a Macro lens :'(

https://youtu.be/c7ux5dj34t4

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
drjlo said:
That's some of the SLOWEST AF speed I've seen anywhere, even for a Macro lens :'(

https://youtu.be/c7ux5dj34t4
LensTip (see link above) has an AF section.

Without delimiter: 3 seconds to travel the entire focal range (that's horrifically slow... but for macro, do you care?)

With delimiter: 0.7-0.8s, still a 3-4x slower than a typical lens. So if you want to use this as a general purpose 70 f/2.8, [shrug] be patient I guess.

They don't post AF times for their 100L review, but I can say that delimited 100L use (as a short tele prime) is far, far quicker than 0.7-0.8s.

- A

Arty

EOS T7i
Jun 5, 2014
I hardly need another macro lens, but I just ordered this one. AF speed is fine with the limiter, and this is not really a bug lens. I would want a longer focal length for that.
Other than AF, the lens should be fine for flowers and other uses. My hope is that it is sharper than the Sigma 50F2.8 that I already own. While I like Canon color overal, the Sigma 50 macro lens is great for a trip to the gardens. I hope this one is even better.

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
From the review AF speed doesnt inspire confidence but for flowers and indoor(lightbox) photography who cares about AF speed.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Chaitanya said:
From the review AF speed doesnt inspire confidence but for flowers and indoor(lightbox) photography who cares about AF speed.
For macro work, it really doesn't matter. But a lot of folks like to use their longer macro lenses as a short tele prime for non-macro work, and slow AF would be a bit annoying for that.

- A

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
ahsanford said:
Chaitanya said:
For macro work, it really doesn't matter. But a lot of folks like to use their longer macro lenses as a short tele prime for non-macro work, and slow AF would be a bit annoying for that.

- A
For Non-Macro work(upto .2x mag ratio) the AF speed seems very good. It's just with Full range or below .5x mag ratio that AF seems slow and that's quite acceptable given the long range of focus mechanism.

Arty

EOS T7i
Jun 5, 2014
AF speed is fine for candid portraits. I used it extensively. It isn't as fast as a Canon 35F2IS, but it works. I have used slower macro lenses for this purpose.
The lens is very sharp and color is good. I am happy, so far, with my purchase. I haven't tried it out much at the gardens, but that will be next.

NancyP

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 17, 2013
Arty said "I hardly need another macro lens" - Hey, I resemble than comment! :) I don't "need" another lens now (though I am eyeing the TS-E 24 v.II .....)

Some people who prefer primes may also like the 70 mm focal length for general work.

Mar 31, 2014
Center of my universe
Here is a candid portrait. Yes, the AF is somewhat slow, but I find it more effective than my 100L (using AF) and also sharper.

I don't know the insect, but the wildflower is Bee Balm (Monarda didyma), so the insect is quite small - about 4mm. I have not AFMA'ed.

I'm keeping my copy.

Attachments

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
Sep 9, 2014
chrysoberyl said:
Here is a candid portrait. Yes, the AF is somewhat slow, but I find it more effective than my 100L (using AF) and also sharper.

I don't know the insect, but the wildflower is Bee Balm (Monarda didyma), so the insect is quite small - about 4mm. I have not AFMA'ed.

I'm keeping my copy.
That is a very nice image! Good colors, focus, isolation, etc. What was your f-stop, 2.8 or?

Arty

EOS T7i
Jun 5, 2014
NancyP said:
Arty said "I hardly need another macro lens" - Hey, I resemble than comment! :) I don't "need" another lens now (though I am eyeing the TS-E 24 v.II .....)

Some people who prefer primes may also like the 70 mm focal length for general work.
That is exactly why I got the lens. Sometimes a 100 mm lens is too long, even on full frame, and a 50 is too short. I think that 50 mm makes for a better general purpose focal length and is great for copy work, but 70 mm has advantages on full frame for some macro uses. The review on Lens Rentals has 70 on the short side, but there are advantages.