Let’s talk about those Canon EOS RS/R5 specifications

Aug 9, 2016
I suspect a modern 45 MP sensor with DPAF and possibly IBIS based multisampling will compare very favorably with the 5DSR. Then, after Canon sells a bunch of those, they can bring out the enhanced high MP version. Canon knows how to sell cameras.

Edit. Before Digic X it didn’t seem like the processing was there for a high speed camera hence the acceptance of the slow FR high MP rumor. Canon might have been doing their homework.

the 5Div is still a fantastic camera, I have owned all the 5Dline cameras to date, for me the only problem I have is the miss rate of using a 35ii 1.4 and 85L1.4 on it as it uses PDAF, I find the new way of autofocusing on the mirrorless to be quite and advantage and thats what drives me to get one, I'm just wiating as the current R is not much of an upgrade. But we know things are happening soon with new releases so its a bit frustrating but good times ahead I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I expect Canon wants to have that camera and a set of trinity lenses available for a sidearm for every 1DX iii they loan out at the Olympics
I seriously doubt this, based on this look at what Canon had available at the 2018 winter Olympics. I see nothing but 1DXs in these photos. Seems to me that when it comes to something as action-heavy as the Olympics, it's a 1D level camera or nothing as far as Canon is concerned. If anyone will have a "sidearm" at the Olympics for their 1DX MkIII, it will be another 1DX MkIII.

And the IDX MkII was many years old already back in 2018, and it still completely dominated what Canon had on hand at the Olympics. You really think they will release a brand-spanking new IDX just ahead of these Olympics and have anything but that camera there? No way, it will be IDX MkIII as far as the eye can see. They did not put all that effort into the new IDX just to have it share the stage with some other camera at the biggest sporting event of the year.

The RF lenses and the R cameras are something Canon recognizes they need to do for the sake of their business in the future, so they're doing that. But when push comes to shove at a professional sports level, those lenses and cameras are still completely irrelevant, at least for now. That's why we just got a new IDX. Now, five years from now maybe things will be different.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Now this is a camera to be excited about and what Canon should have had a couple years ago. I will certainly be in the preorder line for such a camera.

75MP is just too much for most people. 40MP is reasonable, but if we're talking 8K (even timelapse), then shouldn't the sensor be 8192 x 5460 = ~45MP or something close to that?
For 8k 17:9, 45 MP. For 8k TV (16:9), 40 MP. Hence the uncertainty regarding the resolution. The source probably doesn't know whether the camera does Cine aspect ratio or 16:9, but just knows that it does "8k" and no crop.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I seriously doubt this, based on this look at what Canon had available at the 2018 winter Olympics. I see nothing but 1DXs in these photos. Seems to me that when it comes to something as action-heavy as the Olympics, it's a 1D level camera or nothing as far as Canon is concerned. If anyone will have a "sidearm" at the Olympics for their 1DX MkIII, it will be another 1DX MkIII.

And the IDX MkII was many years old already back in 2018, and it still completely dominated what Canon had on hand at the Olympics. You really think they will release a brand-spanking new IDX just ahead of these Olympics and have anything but that camera there? No way, it will be IDX MkIII as far as the eye can see. They did not put all that effort into the new IDX just to have it share the stage with some other camera at the biggest sporting event of the year.

The RF lenses and the R cameras are something Canon recognizes they need to do for the sake of their business in the future, so they're doing that. But when push comes to shove at a professional sports level, those lenses and cameras are still completely irrelevant, at least for now. That's why we just got a new IDX. Now, five years from now maybe things will be different.

exactly!

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I suspect a modern 45 MP sensor with DPAF and possibly IBIS based multisampling will compare very favorably with the 5DSR. Then, after Canon sells a bunch of those, they can bring out the enhanced high MP version. Canon knows how to sell cameras.

Edit. Before Digic X it didn’t seem like the processing was there for a high speed camera hence the acceptance of the slow FR high MP rumor. Canon might have been doing their homework.

Edit 2. It’s also possible that canon looked at the ultra high MP sensor and decided it wasn’t achieving any significant additional benefit. Sony and Panasonic/Tower Jazz both settled on the mid forties for their high Rez offerings. Maybe that is the sweet spot. I have no reason to believe they couldn’t have gone higher if they wanted to.
Sony went to 61 MP 6 months ago. Canon will have a camera to top that. I think the 40 MP and 75/80 MP bodies will be announced simultaneously or very nearly.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I agree this seems odd. The only way I could see that this would be a possibility is maybe doing all of the advanced things they are doing with the 1DX3's separate autofocus sensor is somehow more taxing on the processor than just having all of the image capturing and autofocusing happening right on the sensor as a mirrorless camera does? But then this doesn't really make sense, as I thought it's generally accepted that having that constant feed from the sensor to the EVF is generally more taxing on the processor than having an OVF. Maybe this new camera just uses a completely new/more advanced architecture that makes more efficient use of the processor's power compared to the 1DX which perhaps they kept using a somewhat older architecture just for the sake of reliability?

Not saying any of this is actually the case, and not saying I actually believe that the new mirrorless will arrive with specs that essentially trounce the IDX, but if it did, this is my wild, baseless speculation as to why.
It could be that the 1DX3 has some limit on FPS other than throughput, and so 20 FPS is max, regardless of resolution. CF Express / PCIe 3.0 certainly could handle it. I would hope that any other output (EVF, AF, Etc...) was parallel on inline use of the same sensor read.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon isn’t locked into their current product segmentation. It’s always a shifting target.

Sure, but their ability to shift things is somewhat limited. Major shifts in value/features bring some risk as well as opportunity. For instance, they have a ton of existing product inventory they'd rather not set on fire with a highly disruptive value proposition.

I'm not saying Canon can't give more per dollar, but if they give too much more per dollar it will hurt them in other ways.

Do I want them to make this camera? Hell yes.

Do I think they will make this camera? Hell no.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I seriously doubt Canon won't make available and have hundreds of them ready for loan if the new mirrorless comes in at 10+ FPS and 36+ MP and dual-pixel AF even better than what we now have with the R and the M6 ii. Past usage does not mean much right now. Times they are a changing far too fast.

A considerable majority of the photographers credentialed for the Olympics are going to be people at the very top in talent and skill, and not stupid. A lot of them are going to be a little gray about the edges. Sure that 1DXiii is going to be bolted to the 200-400s, 400/2.8s and 600/4s but they are likely to be covering 2-3 maybe 4 events in a day, working 16 hour days. A camera little heavier than an R, hardly any larger and able to bolt to that RF 70-200/2.8 is going to look very attractive for the second body. Perhaps not to all, but to many.

Most of these people are going to be able to figure out very quickly how to maximize the features and advantages of a top-flight mirrorless. Like I said earlier, these are not stupid people and they will choose the best tool for the job. Likely that will be the 1DX iii for the most intense part of competitions but for human interest, scene setting, injury drama a lighter, more compact, higher pixel count camera could well be the best tool, especially with those super fine RF lenses.

A key tell whether this is an aim for Canon is whether the 5D v type mirrorless can take the external wifi unit for the 1DXiii.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I seriously doubt Canon won't make available and have hundreds of them ready for loan if the new mirrorless comes in at 10+ FPS and 36+ MP and dual-pixel AF even better than what we now have with the R and the M6 ii. Past usage does not mean much right now. Times they are a changing far too fast.

A considerable majority of the photographers credentialed for the Olympics are going to be people at the very top in talent and skill, and not stupid. A lot of them are going to be a little gray about the edges. Sure that 1DXiii is going to be bolted to the 200-400s, 400/2.8s and 600/4s but they are likely to be covering 2-3 maybe 4 events in a day, working 16 hour days. A camera little heavier than an R, hardly any larger and able to bolt to that RF 70-200/2.8 is going to look very attractive for the second body. Perhaps not to all, but to many.

Most of these people are going to be able to figure out very quickly how to maximize the features and advantages of a top-flight mirrorless. Like I said earlier, these are not stupid people and they will choose the best tool for the job. Likely that will be the 1DX iii for the most intense part of competitions but for human interest, scene setting, injury drama a lighter, more compact, higher pixel count camera could well be the best tool, especially with those super fine RF lenses.

A key tell whether this is an aim for Canon is whether the 5D v type mirrorless can take the external wifi unit for the 1DXiii.
Possibly, but there's also a lot to be said for not having to fool around trying to adapt back and forth between two completely different cameras. The whole experience of using a DSLR and a mirrorless couldn't be more different, and that's before you even get into the differences in the controls and handling between the two of them. I think in such a fast paced environment when there's no time to think, most photographers would just grab one and stick with it, most likely the 1DX.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
What kinda unicorn bu.... Well, some of this is possible but I just don’t expect this out of Canon. The 1DX 3 doesn’t even do 4K 120 so why put that in this? Who’s been asking for 4K 120?

I don't know but I've been asking for 1080p240 (or 480 would be ok too).

4k120 would be ok compromise

Don't think I trust this rumor though.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Sure, but their ability to shift things is somewhat limited. Major shifts in value/features bring some risk as well as opportunity. For instance, they have a ton of existing product inventory they'd rather not set on fire with a highly disruptive value proposition.

I'm not saying Canon can't give more per dollar, but if they give too much more per dollar it will hurt them in other ways.

- A
What you describe is business as usual. But Canon could become the disruptor. It’s very possible their DSLR inventories have been dwindling as they've shift resources and production capacity to mirrorless. We mortals don’t know. And the company could be willing to leave money on the table now as the price to achieve a longer term strategy. That's not the usual Canon way, for sure. But it’s not an unprecedented in business. just one example: In the early 1980s when stodgy IBM suddenly took on upstart Apple in the early PC days, Fortune magazine headlined a story, “The Elephant Learns to Dance.” Maybe Canon's ready dance. Hope so.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
How do you know what the DIGIC X processor is capable of?

These two products would be for two completely different customers.
Not to mention this could be something added to the 1DX via firmware update. It would make sense and it would also make sense that it's not being announced since the 1DX MIII isn't out yet, and the "R5" isn't even announced at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014

- A
That's a bad argument, really. People, especially beginners and those on a budget, will lap up cheap DSLRs. If Canon were sitting on a ton of unsold inventory and wanted them gone, they'd just do a firesale/ clearance sale. Slash the price on all of the bottom tier cameras and accompanying lenses. The way the market works, you'll get a few thousand people buying them for their closet so they can tell everybody about their nice "high end camera" they have, but never use. And then you'll have another few thousand sold to student news papers and whatnot at various schools and colleges. And then toss in all of the rest of the spectrum of people who will either get one for Christmas or give one for christmas/ birthdays. That'd be a big portion of inventory gone.

You'd think it'd interfere with the mirrorless camera sales, but it won't. The higher price of the system would put it above those people's range anyway. I do not assume Canon has millions or even tens of thousands of each camera in inventory. They've been on the same pattern for decades. I'm positive, at this point, they know exactly how many of their cameras are going to sell and only produce a little more a head of time. So massive pools of leftover inventory likely doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
CR guy, I think what paints everyone's expectations is that any new FF camera -- if real -- is going to fall into a 1-series / 5-series / 6-series sort of slot in the lineup, with its relative prestige and asking price, etc. And the spec list we've seen (regardless of who it is aimed at in the market) is comically above/beyond what Canon's brand-spanking-new 1DX3* can do.

That -- above all else -- doesn't compute for many of us, myself included.
  • Tell us it's 45 x 10 and it's the next 5D5, it would be plausible.
  • Tell us it's a gripped 1-series mirrorless with IBIS and 24 x 20, it would entirely be plausible.
  • Tell us it's as-the-rumor-specs-it and it will be a new series even more pricey/prestigious than the 1-series (a 0-series?!) and it becomes I guess vaguely more plausible. (Seems like a $10k body to me, though.)
But as spec'd. No. Still not buying this rumor.

- A

*I recognize a 1-series is much more than pure horsepower specs, and we've seen 5-series outdo 1-series on the odd spec or new feature in the past ...but this rumored list is simply ridiculous.
If Canon wants to out do Sony they have to come out with something spectacular which will be in the price range of Sony. Canon has developed a family of lenses RF which are the best in the market although pricey. I have only purchased one RF lens and use the adapter for my EF lenses which appear to work better than on my 5D Mark IV.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
if they bring back the rear thumb wheel, seen on 5D/7d/1d, the EOS R and RP will have a status of rebel-equivalent

The R and RP have the second wheel, it's just up at the top of the camera back and horizontal instead of vertical (Nikon D7xx0 style). The Rebels don't have a second wheel anywhere.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

The 1D X Mark II first shipped in April 2016 a few months before the 2016 Summer Olympiad. It was less than two years old in early 2018 during the 2018 Winter Games. That's not exactly "many years old."

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Let's just say after being spoiled with the current R's autofocus, I won't be going back to a DSLR.

Considering the fact that the OVF AF sensor in the 1D X Mark III is essentially another CMOS sensor (a first for Canon, or anyone else for that matter), rather than a line sensor as all OVF based PDAF sensors in the past, you might be surprised by its performance.

Upvote 0