Lexar Announces New Professional CFexpress USB 3.1 Reader

Mar 25, 2011
I stopped giving Lightroom the task to transfer the files many years ago. This speeded up the workflow significantly.
It is absolutely no deal to drag and drop all your files from the card into a folder named with the date of the shooting by using MAC Finder/ Windows Explorer which gives you max transfer rates.
This done, you just import the files into Lightroom without data transfer.
-> More speed, no failures/ crashes since a decade, even with 20,000+ files within one import.
The sum of the two processes is about the same. I know my PC is running too slow and needs to have the OS renstalled. Its not only Lightroom, but all of my programs that are getting slower. I started the process with a new PC and a faster NvMe based SSD but its so onerous that I stopped working on it 3 months back. Now, I have months worth of updates to do just to get back to where I was. I do have Lightroom on it and it is plenty fast, but its a separate catalog.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I stopped giving Lightroom the task to transfer the files many years ago. This speeded up the workflow significantly.
It is absolutely no deal to drag and drop all your files from the card into a folder named with the date of the shooting by using MAC Finder/ Windows Explorer which gives you max transfer rates.
This done, you just import the files into Lightroom without data transfer.
-> More speed, no failures/ crashes since a decade, even with 20,000+ files within one import.

I use On1 RAW now as my LR replacement, but I did this with LR too.

I use a card reader and I use the application to bring the files over.....while I'm doing this I also use it to rename the files and add some tags to the images too, etc, and these renamed files are going to both my work external drive and my NAS backup drive.....so that when it is done, my files are all named properly (human understandable), and at least basically tagged and when done I'm ready for the most part to start editing.

I do like having human meaningful names, for later in life when this app may be gone or something happens and I can more readily search and look for them outside of the app.

But hey, different workflows for different folks, eh?

With me, I'm rarely in such a hurry that brining my files in can't be done in this manner and I can be doing other things while they images are being processed and unloaded.

I haven't used LR since version 5....so, I don't know if the newer versions are any faster, but I do thing at this point, that the On1 Import runs a bit faster, even on the folders I have it catalog....

My $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
It's possible that some pre-order offers for the R5 will come with a CFExpress card and reader similar to what was offered when the 1Dx MarkIII was introduced.
I saw that and the bundles still exist but it is for a 512GB card only (in Australia at least). For me, it will be 128GB or 256GB but I am hoping to use 128GB if the file size (CRAW) will give me 1500-2000 shots. It would save me a few hundred dollars for both CFe and SD cards if 128GB is okay. Using USB C wired connection will save more by not needing a card reader... and wifi if I am desparate. In an emergency on an overseas trip (a long time in the future!), I think that finding CFe card readers will be tricky but a USB C cable should hopefully be easier if needed.

Upvote 0
I was without a CFexpress card reader for about 2m with the 1DXIII and basic camera WiFi was a pain to transfer. A card reader is much better. Thankfully I got a USB-C to normal USB wire with it (not with the Sandisk by default). I also bought a Delkin reader (as I was giving up on canon sending the Sandisk). It came with two cables. I’ve nothing currently with thundebolt but I’m sure my next laptop will (I hate cables, I have so many types !!!!). Both readers run quite hot - the Delkin is metallic. The cards are metallic. Not sure it’s good for them to be so warm. It’s all certainly and added cost you have to remember. Ideally you need new expensive memory cards, readers and a thunderbolt laptop/pc to get the best out of the 5R.
The Delkin cards seem to be cheaper than Sony/Sandisk. Are you using Delkin cards? It would be interesting to understand the experience of different cards used by 1DXiii users

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The Delkin cards seem to be cheaper than Sony/Sandisk. Are you using Delkin cards? It would be interesting to understand the experience of different cards used by 1DXiii users
No , I’m using Sandisk cards. At least with those the camera runs very smoothly. There is no such thing as buffering in my usage so far. I’d assume the Delkin cards would be fine too.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I saw that and the bundles still exist but it is for a 512GB card only (in Australia at least). For me, it will be 128GB or 256GB but I am hoping to use 128GB if the file size (CRAW) will give me 1500-2000 shots. It would save me a few hundred dollars for both CFe and SD cards if 128GB is okay. Using USB C wired connection will save more by not needing a card reader... and wifi if I am desparate. In an emergency on an overseas trip (a long time in the future!), I think that finding CFe card readers will be tricky but a USB C cable should hopefully be easier if needed.

Just curious....why would you not shoot full RAW to have the full sensor data to work with on your images in post?

Upvote 0
Just curious....why would you not shoot full RAW to have the full sensor data to work with on your images in post?
That's a good question. $ vs image quality is the option here. I would shoot full raw normally for landscape etc. CRAW seems to use the full sensor/resolution but is still a lossy compression algorithm. That said, the reviews showed minimum difference in shadow recovery for 2-3 stop under exposure and was a bit hard to differentiate the noise as good or bad. One example showed some magenta noise but probably still manageable.
The option is similar to jpeg vs HEIF where HEIF has better bit depth but lossy compression for much smaller files. I just wish the format was acceptable for many more apps.
I would only consider CRAW for situations where it would be a big shooting event (>1500 shots) and no option to download to PC during it. These events are non-professional and not weddings needing THE shot. Given the fps, there could be a lot more shots taken anyway. Last option would be to use the card slots in sequential mode rather than RAID 1.

Upvote 0