LIGHTNING PHOTOS

Just had an image accepted by the BBC, mine's the one from whiteparish (6th still)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33395943

and now I've had a little longer to play with it and crop in which I think makes an improvement:

lightning_crop.JPG

Attachments

• lightning_crop.JPG
    lightning_crop.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Lovely shots you have all taken, it is unfortunate that such beauty can be so destructive and / or deadly. I love to watch lightning when it is about but would not wish to be on the receiving end.

niteclicks said:
A couple of my favorites
Were you in a car when you took the second shot?

Vossie said:
An oldie taken back in 2007 in the Serengeti. EOS 30D with EF-S 10-22 @10mm, ISO 200, 12 s, f/5.6, tripod
Really like your wide angle shot, was the tree the target or was the lightning further away, looks like a direct hit.

rfdesigner said:
Just had an image accepted by the BBC, mine's the one from whiteparish (6th still)

Congratulations on getting your shot on the BBC News site.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
We had a pretty good storm roll though this weekend while I was at the cabin so I decided to try out Magic Lantern's exposure trigger. This was my 1st attempt at lightning photography I was happy enough with the result. Not as spectacular as some of the shots here, I will have to work on getting a better location. My 1st thought was to use manual mode and control the exposure of the scene myself but I quickly realized that was misguided as I was triggering the shutter when the exposure changed with the lightning strike. Switching to Av left me feeling like what kind of exposure I got in the scene was somewhat out of my control. Do most just deal with this in post or is there a trick I am missing.

Attachments

• IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_7665.jpg
    IMG_7665.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
CapturingLight said:
We had a pretty good storm roll though this weekend while I was at the cabin so I decided to try out Magic Lantern's exposure trigger. This was my 1st attempt at lightning photography I was happy enough with the result. Not as spectacular as some of the shots here, I will have to work on getting a better location. My 1st thought was to use manual mode and control the exposure of the scene myself but I quickly realized that was misguided as I was triggering the shutter when the exposure changed with the lightning strike. Switching to Av left me feeling like what kind of exposure I got in the scene was somewhat out of my control. Do most just deal with this in post or is there a trick I am missing.

I used manual mode: f/16 ISO 800 and 5 seconds expsures, taken in "High speed shutter" mode, then kept firing. >50% of shots caught some kind of flash, mostly sheet lightning and those with more than one just overexposed, it was quite a storm.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd go for f8 ISO 200 to minimise noise, at least at f/16 I didn't have to worry about focussing. Of course foreground also makes a difference, I don't have streetlights to contend with.

Note I used a monopod as I realised the lighting wouldn't blur due to camera shake, however if you've got a foreground or something terrestial lit you'd need a tripod.

Upvote 0
Not sure how I can post up my shots here, but here's a link to a bunch of my NYC lightning strikes, most are hitting the WTC Tower.
If anyone can do a quick "Tutorial" on how to post my individual shots ( ie. HTML, iFrame or BBCode )
and show me the difference, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks everyone!!!
Sam

www.flickr.com/photos/strykapose/sets/72157631121859606

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CapturingLight.
Very nice shots, I'm guessing that ML worked well for you. On the second shot you have a line of light from top middle going to the fir tree, is this a lightning bolt, or the edge of the cloud illuminated by the spoked strike?
I really like the second shot either way.

Cheers, Graham.

CapturingLight said:

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sam.
Some excellent shots that you linked to.
If you want to post from Flickr you use the curved arrow on the right below the image, select BBCode, set the size, (I think the forum limit is 800 wide) select all and copy the line of text, paste to page on forum.
This is the method I use, I have no idea about the other methods. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Graham.

strykapose said:
Not sure how I can post up my shots here, but here's a link to a bunch of my NYC lightning strikes, most are hitting the WTC Tower.
If anyone can do a quick "Tutorial" on how to post my individual shots ( ie. HTML, iFrame or BBCode )
Thanks everyone!!!
Sam

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
CapturingLight said:

I used manual mode: f/16 ISO 800 and 5 seconds expsures, taken in "High speed shutter" mode, then kept firing. >50% of shots caught some kind of flash, mostly sheet lightning and those with more than one just overexposed, it was quite a storm.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd go for f8 ISO 200 to minimise noise, at least at f/16 I didn't have to worry about focussing. Of course foreground also makes a difference, I don't have streetlights to contend with.

Note I used a monopod as I realised the lighting wouldn't blur due to camera shake, however if you've got a foreground or something terrestial lit you'd need a tripod.
That is a great bolt that you managed to capture the picture has nice colour to it as well. The long exposure is interesting thought. I don't know if a 5 second exposure is needed when using the ML or other trigger but I am wondering if something on the order of 1-2 seconds would capture more branches of the bolt than I got. Both my photos above ended up at ISO 800 f5.0 1/125 s crop sensor. As you mention I am not quite sure how to deal with a more lighted scene such as a streetlamp and balance the lightning with the foreground exposure. I think one of the earlier posts may have been a HDR shot which is one solution I suppose, but my experience with that is very limited.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sam.
If you want to post from Flickr you use the curved arrow on the right below the image, select BBCode, set the size, (I think the forum limit is 800 wide) select all and copy the line of text, paste to page on forum.
This is the method I use, I have no idea about the other methods. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Graham.

Here is a form discussion I found very helpful
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18464.msg344634#msg344634

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi CapturingLight.
Very nice shots, I'm guessing that ML worked well for you. On the second shot you have a line of light from top middle going to the fir tree, is this a lightning bolt, or the edge of the cloud illuminated by the spoked strike?
I really like the second shot either way.

Cheers, Graham.

Graham,
I am glad you enjoyed the shots, the ones you linked to are spectacular. It makes me want to find an opportunity to take some city scape rain shots I would have to find a way to keep my camera dry though. Apart from my 100L macro my body and lens collection are not at all weather proof. The shots I took were thought a freshly cleaned patio door.

I am fairly certain the horizontal line is another lightning strike I can assure you it did not hit the tree but something in the distance.

Correction I just realized I mixed up the posts, the credit for the city scapes must go to strykapose, My aplogies.

Upvote 0
Thank You Graham,
Im going to try one out now.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Sam.

Cheers, Graham.

strykapose said:
Thanks everyone!!!
Sam

Upvote 0