Lightroom 4.2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suburbia

RichM said:
Zlatko said:
rmt3rd said:
Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded. The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.
You don't have to do this. It sounds like you have LR set to build "minimal" previews on import. Then it has to work hard to load them later. Instead, set LR to build "1:1" or "standard" previews on import. This way the import process takes longer, but the previews are all built when it's done. This setting (called "Render Previews") is in the top right of the Import screen.

Also, I've heard it's good to give LR a big cache for Camera Raw Settings. This is done in LR Preferences, under File Handling.

+1

Thanks, increasing the cache provided a big boost in performance when "developing". This might allow me to make it through a few more months with my 4 year old laptop.

yes the default cache limit seems strangely small for medium to heavy work, I increased the cache size, located on a separate disk to the photo file disk, but I'm limited somewhat by capacity limits on my SSD so I will be looking to increase in future for more performance gains.

I also have put my lightroom catalogue onto my SSD (however because the catalogue needs to be in same folder as the huge preview file folders (surely an oversight) I have had to create a virtual link from my SSD to the physical location of the preview files on my dedicated photo HDD to save space on my SSD. Also must make backup of catalogue regularly as SSD is not backed up.

http://morethanwords.be/blog/en/getting-the-most-out-of-your-solid-state-drive-in-lightroom/

Upvote 0
Zlatko said:
rmt3rd said:
Once I import photos from my harddrive into LR, before I go into the Develop module, I wait for all the photos to "load", by waiting for the 3 tiny dots to disappear from each photo, indicating the photo is loaded. The problem is, only the photos that are displayed on the screen actually "load", so I then have to scroll down to have the next line(s) of photos to show on the screen before they actually load.
You don't have to do this. It sounds like you have LR set to build "minimal" previews on import. Then it has to work hard to load them later. Instead, set LR to build "1:1" or "standard" previews on import. This way the import process takes longer, but the previews are all built when it's done. This setting (called "Render Previews") is in the top right of the Import screen.

Also, I've heard it's good to give LR a big cache for Camera Raw Settings. This is done in LR Preferences, under File Handling.

A couple of things could also help in addition to Zlatko's tips:

1) Increasing RAM to 12-16GB (I have 24Gb but I never see it go beyond 12 GB usage)
2) Get a Samsung 830 series SSD. This really helps. 830 series is 6 Gbps

but the most effective tip I have seen work that helps with no spend, is for CPU's with Hyperthreading (all i-7's I think) , open the task manager, right click on the LR process and choose affinity. Unlick affinity to all odd number cpus (these are hyperthreaded) and leave 0,2,4,6 clicked on. This should help some. Non-hyperthreaded CPU's don't suffer that bad from performance that much for this reason.

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
tombu said:
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
tombu said:
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

On paper DNG is supposed to be as good as RAW, but does it have "all" the information that a RAW has? Has anyone done tests on this?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Jamesy said:
tombu said:

And when you do your DNG conversion, go to Preferences and check "Embed Fast Load Data".

-PW

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
K-amps said:
Jamesy said:
tombu said:

On paper DNG is supposed to be as good as RAW, but does it have "all" the information that a RAW has? Has anyone done tests on this?
Yes and No. It depends on which of the three versions of DNG you select. If you pick the one with the RAW files embeded, everything is there. Otherwise, some of the Canon unique tags may not be there. Lightroom doesn't use these anyway, so it makes no difference.
You can also open DPP and batch save the files to photoshop or wherever you want them. They will be converted to tiff files,which are more universally used than DNG. You will still lose the Canon specific tags.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Tons of very accomplished photographers are onboard with DNG. Scott Kelby, Chris Orwig and Jared Platt come to mind. You can embed post processing information into a DNG after the fact - in LR just do a CTRL-S and what ever edits you have done get burned into the DNG.

Embedding CR2's inside the DNG is a waste of space - the files will be huge. Some people would say that you may lose the Canon special sauce but at the same time they rely on Lightroom or Bridge to render their CR2 RAW files which is the same potion that Adobe uses to convert to DNG.

I have yet to see a difference between DNG and CR2 but YMMV.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
Tons of very accomplished photographers are onboard with DNG. Scott Kelby, Chris Orwig and Jared Platt come to mind. You can embed post processing information into a DNG after the fact - in LR just do a CTRL-S and what ever edits you have done get burned into the DNG.

Embedding CR2's inside the DNG is a waste of space - the files will be huge. Some people would say that you may lose the Canon special sauce but at the same time they rely on Lightroom or Bridge to render their CR2 RAW files which is the same potion that Adobe uses to convert to DNG.

I have yet to see a difference between DNG and CR2 but YMMV.

Tks Jamesy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.