Lightroom 7 rumor

It looks like Lightroom 7 is only a couple of weeks away now.

https://photorumors.com/2017/10/05/final-build-of-the-new-adobe-lightroom-released-for-testing/

Adobe-Lightroom-7.jpg

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
TomDibble said:
It’s extortion. Give us money or you can’t access your IP.
and
TomDibble said:
So, yeah, other companies may well switch to subscription model to have a constant stream of revenue coming in rather than post-release mass influxes which need to carry the company through the next big development cycle. That said, it is not at all a given that they will do so (up-front-purchase software thrived for a really long time before subscription models started being bandied about), and it is certainly not a given that the model chosen by any one company will be as user-hostile as Adobe's "stop paying and everything stops working" extortion model.

Sit down and relax.

https://media.giphy.com/media/umBCKOohjIpNe/giphy.gif

What happens to my photographs after my membership ends? With Lightroom 5.5, at the end of a membership, the desktop application will continue to launch and provide access to the photographs managed within Lightroom as well as the Slideshow, Web, Book or Print creations that we know many photographers painstakingly create. The Develop and Map modules have been disabled in order to signal the end of the membership and the need to renew in order to receive Adobe’s continuous innovation in those areas. Access to Lightroom mobile workflows will also cease to function. We hope this meets the expectations of our customers and we look forward to an ongoing dialog.
Source

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
cayenne said:
Yeah, to each his own.

The web enabled stuff, isn't something I'd use. When I sit down to edit photos or video for serious work, I'm in front of a real, full blown computer as my workstation. Now...I do "play" a little on my iPad pro, with Affinity Photo and now I'm dabbling with Procreate, but those are usually just something for me to play with and keep from being bored while on a flight or at a restaurant waiting on friends, etc.

When I was speaking to the lack of innovation and new improvements on CC for PS or LR...I was talking about the main apps themselves that you'd run on a real computer....such as engine speed improvements, possibly cleaning up the interface a little...get rid of some redundancy...new tools....meaningful improvements to existing tools, etc.

That being said...I'm starting to be of the thought that a tool like PS....likely is close to EOL as a development platform...and is something that is doing into maintenance mode. I mean, what more really can anyone think of having it to do? I'm wondering if there are really any breakthrough improvements to be made as far as innovation with Photoshop?

If that is the case....and maybe Adobe knows this....they HAD to put it in rental mode, as that if no new real compelling reasons to buy PS/LR itself (not the small adjunct mobile add ons)...there would really be no compelling reason for people to keep upgrading the perpetual license....

Smart move for them, but maybe not so much for the customer.

But your mileage may vary. And everyone has their own workflow that works best for them, and I'm sure the mobile stuff proves convenient and invaluable to some workflows, yours for example.

So, what do I know? I'm just publishing my ponderings while on work breaks.

But that's how I see it.
:)

C

I wasn't talking about "web based stuff". I was talking about tools that make my workflow faster and easier. I can go away for a weekend or a week, or three, shoot RAW to my hearts content, load it all onto the iPad and then cull, keyword, rate etc etc on the plane or in the hotel all before I even get back to a 'main editing workstation'. This can save hours or even days of work, and I can do quality edits and send them out whilst still away if I want or need to.

LR Mobile is not a 'web based plaything' it is a practical tool for many working photographers.

That is a meaningful and useful new feature. As I said I understand not every user will get the same use out of any new feature, but to say there aren't any is plain wrong.

As to your point about new features in the main apps, there have been plenty, though again if you don't use them or don't know they are there they have little value. Things like reference mode in the develop module is a huge time saver for shoots with varying light sources where you want consistency, I can't imagine processing a wedding without the feature now. If, however, you process one independent image at a time then the feature has zero value.

Like all features in anything, they have different values to different users. I am happy with the additions to the apps and the development Adobe put into the CC photographers package, like DR in cameras I look forwards to more, but am happy with what I have and marvel at where we have come from.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
privatebydesign said:
I wasn't talking about "web based stuff". I was talking about tools that make my workflow faster and easier. I can go away for a weekend or a week, or three, shoot RAW to my hearts content, load it all onto the iPad ...

in theory yes. In practice no. Not enough memory. And difficult to get [a large number of] RAW images from camera onto iDevice.

Personally I don't and will never touch a RAW file on a mobile device like phone or tablet. Even most notebook do not have screens that would allow for anything I'd call "quality edits".

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
privatebydesign said:
I wasn't talking about "web based stuff". I was talking about tools that make my workflow faster and easier. I can go away for a weekend or a week, or three, shoot RAW to my hearts content, load it all onto the iPad ...

in theory yes. In practice no. Not enough memory. And difficult to get [a large number of] RAW images from camera onto iDevice.

Personally I don't and will never touch a RAW file on a mobile device like phone or tablet. Even most notebook do not have screens that would allow for anything I'd call "quality edits".

Well I actually use it in practice, but what do I know?

And again, I am not talking 'quality edits', I am talking about the time consuming culling, rating, keywording etc that can take days after a decent trip, along with relatively simple edits to output as online jpegs.

As for screen quality, we get up our own butts about that a bit, if I am going to output electronically then the iPad screen I am using to cull is probably as good a screen as anybody who will be viewing them will have. Sure I can piss about on a 100% Adobe RGB 10 bit behemoth for print, and I will, but I don't need that for a lot of the time consuming work I do on my images and anybody that believes they need that for online output really doesn't have a clue about color management.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
privatebydesign said:
And again, I am not talking 'quality edits', I am talking about the time consuming culling, rating, keywording etc that can take days after a decent trip, along with relatively simple edits to output as online jpegs.

sorry private, but it appears you got a bit confused about what you wrote 2 posts earlier ...

privatebydesign said:
I wasn't talking about "web based stuff". I was talking about tools that make my workflow faster and easier. I can go away for a weekend or a week, or three, shoot RAW to my hearts content, load it all onto the iPad and then cull, keyword, rate etc etc on the plane or in the hotel all before I even get back to a 'main editing workstation'. This can save hours or even days of work, and I can do quality edits and send them out whilst still away if I want or need to.

While agreeing to some extent with you statement re. screen quality. Initial sorting and culling and keywording may be feasible. I find it easier to rate/delete directly in camera, since a transfer of many RAW images from camera to an iPad is not something I'd like to do on the road. As far as "edits" go, well I cannot see doing anything approaching "quality edits" on an iPhone or even an iPad.

And when a notebook is along, one can run the regular full version of Lightroom. No need for all that "mobile version / Adobe cloud stuff". It is "unnecessary/not useful" for many (most ?) LR users. 8)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
privatebydesign said:

sorry private, but it appears you got a bit confused about what you wrote 2 posts earlier ...

privatebydesign said:

While agreeing to some extent with you statement re. screen quality. Initial sorting and culling and keywording may be feasible. I find it easier to rate/delete directly in camera, since a transfer of many RAW images from camera to an iPad is not something I'd like to do on the road. As far as "edits" go, well I cannot see doing anything approaching "quality edits" on an iPhone or even an iPad.

And when a notebook is along, one can run the regular full version of Lightroom. No need for all that "mobile version / Adobe cloud stuff". It is "unnecessary/not useful" for many (most ?) LR users. 8)

No I'm not confused. I can do quality edits I am more than happy with on an iPad, but I come from a slide background and my travel images rarely need more than a levels and slight crop. But many of you get up your own butts about your edits so I can understand not wanting to do what is needed to your images on an iPad. My point was editing is a small percentage of my time in LR and Adobe, contrary to the point that had been made, do add functionality and improvements, not everybody finds each feature useful to them, but the fact there are features added on a fairly regular basis disproves the initial point they didn't and I was illustrating that they didn't.

So in brief
Forum: Adobe don't add any new features.
Me: Yes they do how about LR Mobile and reference mode in the Develop module?
Forum: I don't find that useful, so they don't add new features.
Me: That's not my point, my point is even if you don't like the new feature (which I do) then your point of them not adding new features is wrong.
Forum: But I can't do quality edits on that screen.
Me: What? That's not the point, the feature has been added.
Forum: You are contradicting yourself.
Me: Adobe added features, you said they didn't. You are factually incorrect.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ryananthony said:
AvTvM said:
private: i come from kodachrome 64 positives myself and cannot see anything even remotely close to "quality edits" on an iDecice/mobile Lightroom Adobe whatever ap. screen too small and not good enough. full stop.

Here you go again, if it doesn't fit your needs it must not fit anyones.

Exactly.

And as I have already said, even if you don't value the editing capabilities the culling, keyboarding and rating is a massive timesaver for many with a mobile workflow.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
no it is not (just) me. It is me and many others. Of course your personal mileage may vary.

@private: not sure, what camera/s you are using. I know that transferring many [hundreds] RAW images even from a rather low res camera like my EOS 5D III onto an iPad takes hours, not minutes. No matter whether
A. via cable with Canon-stupid USB 2.0 interface on 5D 3 or
B. shooting onto SD card [which is a huge compromise on 5D 3] via SD-reader adaptor thingie.
iDevice needs to be hooked up to electricity otherwise battery will run out before data transfer is completed.

And only after that transfer the reviewing, rating, culling and "quality edits" can start.

So again, I see the entire "mobile Lightroom stuff" as more or less useless in practice - especially when working with RAW images. Not even to think about working with 40-50MP raw images.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
no it is not (just) me. It is me and many others. Of course your personal mileage may vary.

@private: not sure, what camera/s you are using. I know that transferring many [hundreds] RAW images even from a rather low res camera like my EOS 5D III onto an iPad takes hours, not minutes. No matter whether
B. shooting onto SD card [which is a huge compromise on 5D 3] via SD-reader adaptor thingie.
iDevice needs to be hooked up to electricity otherwise battery will run out before data transfer is completed.

And only after that transfer the reviewing, rating, culling and "quality edits" can start.

So again, I see the entire "mobile Lightroom stuff" as more or less useless in practice - especially when working with RAW images. Not even to think about working with 40-50MP raw images.

As always you see problems not solutions.

I shoot 1DX MkII's so USB 3, I use the Apple Lightening to USB 3 Camera Connector, still not fast but connect the two, go have dinner or something to eat and the transfer is done.

But as I keep saying the attractiveness of a particular feature is irrelevant, not every feature will work for every user, that is the nature of mature software with a wide user base (just look at any new feature added to a camera!), but to say Adobe don't keep adding features is factually incorrect.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:

As always you see problems not solutions.

I shoot 1DX MkII's so USB 3, I use the Apple Lightening to USB 3 Camera Connector, still not fast but connect the two, go have dinner or something to eat and the transfer is done.

But as I keep saying the attractiveness of a particular feature is irrelevant, not every feature will work for every user, that is the nature of mature software with a wide user base (just look at any new feature added to a camera!), but to say Adobe don't keep adding features is factually incorrect.

true. And I know, Adobe will not make their software exactly to my needs. However, many other features and packing *all* photo-relevant functionality into only 1 piece of software instead of multiple products with different user interfaces and different areas of overlap [LR, PS, Bridge, ACR, PS Elements, ..] would be much more useful to me (and many other users) than mobile/cloud whatever stuff. Or Adobe could have solved the massive performance problems that affect many (most?) LR users instead of developing the mobile app stuff which is only useful to a minority of users. A case of wrong priorities ...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sure, I'd love LR to accept all the file types Bridge does as I output to print for pdf's often and LR can't then see the finished work. Everyone will always have personal priorities. I wish LR sharpening was a 1/10 as good as PS sharpening, but it isn't, etc etc.

My entire point was Adobe do keep developing the software and adding features, nothing more. People that say they don't, even if they are features they won't use/don't want, are factually incorrect.

When did they add the reference mode in the Develop Module? The brush to the gradient tool? The expanded Lens Corrections panel with auto upright and level correction? The Dehaze slider?

The improvements are real and constant. Is there stuff to still gripe about? Sure! But saying they don't do anything is just stupid.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Sure, I'd love LR to accept all the file types Bridge does as I output to print for pdf's often and LR can't then see the finished work. Everyone will always have personal priorities. I wish LR sharpening was a 1/10 as good as PS sharpening, but it isn't, etc etc.

My entire point was Adobe do keep developing the software and adding features, nothing more. People that say they don't, even if they are features they won't use/don't want, are factually incorrect.

When did they add the reference mode in the Develop Module? The brush to the gradient tool? The expanded Lens Corrections panel with auto upright and level correction? The Dehaze slider?

The improvements are real and constant. Is there stuff to still gripe about? Sure! But saying they don't do anything is just stupid.

Adobe deem 15 Lightroom CC 2015 features introduced since the 5th of October 2015 worth a mention on the new features page of their website, 12 of those are for mobile/Apple devises. For those not interested in Lightroom's mobile features it's been slim pickings for the last couple of years.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html

I'm hoping for improvements to Lightroom's sharpening features as well, along with noise reduction enhancements. I've also heard from Capture One Pro users, that LR's highlight detail recovery is lagging well behind their RAW processor of choice, a new processing version could be the answer here.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
bitm2007 said:
Are you referring to Adobe Project Nimbus ? That sounds interesting, a fully-featured RAW image editor with the full capabilities of Lightroom, where processing takes place in the cloud with each user getting 1TB of picture space.

If you're complaining LR is too slow, what you don't really need is to add network latency to every change you make. Even an high speed connection doesn't ensure you get low latency for a given server. That depends on many other factors, beyond the link speed between you and your ISP.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
bitm2007 said:
Are you referring to Adobe Project Nimbus ? That sounds interesting, a fully-featured RAW image editor with the full capabilities of Lightroom, where processing takes place in the cloud with each user getting 1TB of picture space.

If you're complaining LR is too slow, what you don't really need is to add network latency to every change you make. Even an high speed connection doesn't ensure you get low latency for a given server. That depends on many other factors, beyond the link speed between you and your ISP.

No, I'm one of the lucky one's who never had an issue with LR's speed (despite only having an i5 PC and a i3 laptop).

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
AvTvM said:

I cull jpg previews on 10'' tablet instead on 3'' DSLR screen. I mainly look for composition, crop and focus. Everything else can be finally achieved with RAWs on my workstation LR unless it's personal private work.

Upvote 0