Lightroom Classic update: "Improved raw default settings"

Jul 28, 2015
I saw something “you can import with Adobe Color or Camera Settings”, does that mean that Lr finally reads the n camera profiles? I would absolutely love that...

I think LR already does....in a way. As I understand it, the current LR version cannot read the processing that the camera does in-camera, but it does read that fact that it was shot in 'landscape' mode and applies an Adobe interpretation of Canon's landscape mode. I suspect that has not changed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I think LR already does....in a way. As I understand it, the current LR version cannot read the processing that the camera does in-camera, but it does read that fact that it was shot in 'landscape' mode and applies an Adobe interpretation of Canon's landscape mode. I suspect that has not changed.
What I don’t get is that when the files are loaded, for a few seconds you can see the same processing in Lr as it is in camera. Like when you’ve shot BW you can actually see that BW version on import, but then it resets to default. I wish sometimes I could keep that initial rendering.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What I don’t get is that when the files are loaded, for a few seconds you can see the same processing in Lr as it is in camera. Like when you’ve shot BW you can actually see that BW version on import, but then it resets to default. I wish sometimes I could keep that initial rendering.
Each RAW file has a lower resolution JPEG embedded. That JPEG is created by the camera and is displayed as a place holder while LR does its initial processing of the RAW image. It can also be displayed as a thumbnail in some cases.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Each RAW file has a lower resolution JPEG embedded. That JPEG is created by the camera and is displayed as a place holder while LR does its initial processing of the RAW image. It can also be displayed as a thumbnail in some cases.
I never realised that - so this must be the jpeg image you can see on playback in the camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

That makes more sense.

I have found this page which seems to offer options on import and processing and offers good batch processing options - he thinks Adobe have done a good job on matching Canon colours

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I import with custom camera profiles 100% of the time, it takes seconds to make a profile with a color checker. I find the import options in Lightroom to be very broad and powerful.

To the extent that I will use a Colorchecker as a trial shot, when I get back to my computer I will import that one image and make a custom profile from it and apply whatever keywords and develop settings to all the images, custom WB off the Colorchecker etc etc and then go back and import all the images from that shoot and apply it all in one go.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
What you are seeing is the jpeg thumbnail embedded in the raw file. It is replaced by the processed raw file. The new version of lightroom should let you get a nearly identical image if you change the setting to use the same processing that the camera used. The older version required you to set the type of processing from many different options, you could change it to suit your taste. I typically use Neutral in my camera I may need to rethink that.

I also used different NR settings for different ISO's upon import. Now, that has gone away, but there is a work around to allow it.

Upvote 0