Live file backup through WiFi

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
There are many Canon cameras with only one card slot, but also have WiFi. My question is: can you back up your images to a phone or tablet at the same time as you are shooting? Yes, you can stop shooting and connect to the camera through the Canon Connect AP, select pictures manually, and transfer them over..... but is it possible to set things up so that when you take a picture it is automatically sent to your device? If you can, what camera and software do you use?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Jan 29, 2011
With the 1DX MkII you can FTP the files by Ethernet cable or the WFT to anything that can be programmed to receive files via FTP. One way is to use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless, it has FTP functionality.

In theory you could have the SSD, which is internally battery powered, active and connected wirelessly to the camera with a waiting FTP folder and the camera set to send all. That would give you a virtually unlimited secondary file.

Indeed any FTP enabled server can be used, in theory if there is an internet connection to attach to you can connect to a server the other side of the world and send files there that can be viewed and edited by others in real time. But you don’t need the internet as the HDD I mentioned and the WFT can both be used and set up in Adhoc scenarios.

Upvote 0
The "Canon Connect App" has "Auto Transfer" option that is off by default. You can push the slider and turn it on and transfer files as you shoot.
Also you have the option of deselecting the "Reduce image size" (on by default) to get the full size jpegs. It is a bit slow, though. My setting is Canon Connect App, EOS-R camera and an old Samsung Android tablet with 64G micro SD card for backup/review. Have not tested on DSLRs, yet.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
With the 1DX MkII you can FTP the files by Ethernet cable or the WFT to anything that can be programmed to receive files via FTP. One way is to use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless, it has FTP functionality.

In theory you could have the SSD, which is internally battery powered, active and connected wirelessly to the camera with a waiting FTP folder and the camera set to send all. That would give you a virtually unlimited secondary file.

Indeed any FTP enabled server can be used, in theory if there is an internet connection to attach to you can connect to a server the other side of the world and send files there that can be viewed and edited by others in real time. But you don’t need the internet as the HDD I mentioned and the WFT can both be used and set up in Adhoc scenarios.
Unfortunately (for me) I knew about this with the 1DX2, but I was hoping that there was some way to do it with the lesser cameras

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The M50, RP and R support auto transfer for jpegs. Jared explains how to set it up in this Fro Knows Photo clip.
Interesting and clever, but as Jared says, it's no substitute for a second card slot. Would be better if you could directly upload photos to a cloud storage system, but I don't think you can do that.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Interesting and clever, but as Jared says, it's no substitute for a second card slot. Would be better if you could directly upload photos to a cloud storage system, but I don't think you can do that.
You can upload to the cloud, Canon has cloud storage called Canon iMage Gateway.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
Unfortunately (for me) I knew about this with the 1DX2, but I was hoping that there was some way to do it with the lesser cameras

The 5d4 can do ftp from the onboard wifi as well. Not just jpg, raw too, you choose. One of my criteria for buying the 5d4 was whether or not the wifi was as $h!te as the lesser cameras. Thankfully it's not. Then again it also has two card slots as well :)

Wifi on my 760D might as well not be there, when you connect to the canon camera connect app all of the controls on the camera get disabled, you have to do everything via the app. However not all settings are available, so for some stuff you have to disconnect, change the setting, reconnect. Even a snail has time to disappear while you're doing all of that :(

Upvote 0