Looking for a macro ring light for 100mm L

I agree that there are better light alternatives than a ring flash. But when I´m out in the fields/woods/mountains I find the Canon MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash to be the practical alternative, due to size. the light is a bit flat, but still acceptable. The MR-24 is better, but bigger and $300 more. Next in line would be a RRS rig with multiple speedlites. But since you´re asking for an inexpensive alternative, none of these are probably not what you´re after.

I have seen adds for really cheap third party ring flashes, but I have never used one. In general I am a bit skeptical to these cheap alternatives, but it might be that some of them work.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Eldar said:
I agree that there are better light alternatives than a ring flash. But when I´m out in the fields/woods/mountains I find the Canon MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash to be the practical alternative, due to size. the light is a bit flat, but still acceptable.

I agree, Eldar, and would add that the Canon ring flash does allow one to change the output of its two half-ring lamps to a ratio of 8:1 (or 1:8, depending on which way you want the light). This gives some control of light for tiny subjects that are close to the maximum 1:1 magnification your lens can achieve. 8:1 is not as dramatic a ratio as it sounds, and has worked quite well in images of mine (just make sure the higher amount is on the face side of any critters).

For magnifications higher than 2:1, such as with a 65mm 1x-5x lens, the subject can be too close for the Canon ring flash to properly illuminate it since the inner edges aren't canted in. That may be a consideration if you are thinking of adding higher magnifications down the road or mating your 100mm lens to teleconverters and extenders.

Working tanks in aquariums, I prefer to put a standard flash onto a flash bracket since greater illumination is needed--I tend to position it close to and parallel with the lens much of the time, though this too leads to somewhat flat illumination (hard to avoid when dealing with a large glass panel between you and the subject and pressing the lens in to eliminate reflections). I generally prefer the 100mm length for aquarium shooting.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not confident you'll find better alternatives to the MR-14EX and MR-24EX. With the latter, you may also want to add in the cost of dual flash brackets as most folks seem to prefer that to the ring holder it comes with.

'Macro gear' and 'inexpensive' don't seem to go together terribly well much of the time. But at least there aren't any mortgage lenses in macro. Yet. :)

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
I don´t know the actual cost (you would have to ask him), but Surapon in this forum has made a DIY solution, that might work for you. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19127.0;topicseen

In addition to being probably cheaper, I would with my limited knowledge say that you better can control or avoid the family of angles (thus avoiding or getting the direct reflections you want).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scottburgess said:
Working tanks in aquariums, I prefer to put a standard flash onto a flash bracket since greater illumination is needed

If you have a Speedlite already, this can be a relatively inexpensive solution. Lots of flexibility with the Manfrotto 233B, mini ballhead, and 3rd party OC-E3, for under $100.

Attachments

• 233B side.jpg
    233B side.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 984
  • 233B front.jpg
    233B front.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 819
Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
neuroanatomist said:
scottburgess said:
Working tanks in aquariums, I prefer to put a standard flash onto a flash bracket since greater illumination is needed

If you have a Speedlite already, this can be a relatively inexpensive solution. Lots of flexibility with the Manfrotto 233B, mini ballhead, and 3rd party OC-E3, for under $100.

Do you know if there are any options where there are two arms? A buying version of the DIY of Surapon. I was thinking today after posting here, that it would be great if one existed with a type of arm like the gorillapod; that are flexible in all directions, but still stiff enough to not move when taking a picture. Straight arms would be a good second.

BTW. What is your opinion on the family of angles point I made? I would assume that the options from Canon runs the risk of creating strong direct reflections?

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
Do you know if there are any options where there are two arms? A buying version of the DIY of Surapon. I was thinking today after posting here, that it would be great if one existed with a type of arm like the gorillapod; that are flexible in all directions, but still stiff enough to not move when taking a picture. Straight arms would be a good second.

Wimberley F2 (you need to purchase two- sold singly).

You also need a cold shoe.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Quasimodo said:

BTW. What is your opinion on the family of angles point I made? I would assume that the options from Canon runs the risk of creating strong direct reflections?

There are a few options like that which turned up by searching 'macro flash bracket' on Amazon. But...brands like CowboyStudio and DSLRKit don't inspire confidence, and the reviews are consistent with that. There's the Novoflex UNIMARM that I'm sure would work well, but it's not cheap.

You're right about the 'family of angles' issue. Plus, the reflections from a ring light are quite characteristic and can be distracting if not removed in post. Also, when considering reflection angles you have to account for convex shapes. With water drops, insect eyes, etc., you're almost certain to get reflections in the shot no matter how you position the flash(es).

Personally, I have a pair of Wimberley F-2 macro brackets (in addition to the RRS B91-QR, and the Manfrotto 233B which I don't use much and should probably sell). They are very flexible (not quite a gooseneck arm, but close). I usually use them with the MT24-EX twin heads for more positioning flexibility than the Canon ring that attaches to the end of the lens. However, they are strong enough to support a 600EX-RT.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
neuroanatomist said:
Quasimodo said:

There are a few options like that which turned up by searching 'macro flash bracket' on Amazon. But...brands like CowboyStudio and DSLRKit don't inspire confidence, and the reviews are consistent with that. There's the Novoflex UNIMARM that I'm sure would work well, but it's not cheap.

You're right about the 'family of angles' issue. Plus, the reflections from a ring light are quite characteristic and can be distracting if not removed in post. Also, when considering reflection angles you have to account for convex shapes. With water drops, insect eyes, etc., you're almost certain to get reflections in the shot no matter how you position the flash(es).

Personally, I have a pair of Wimberley F-2 macro brackets (in addition to the RRS B91-QR, and the Manfrotto 233B which I don't use much and should probably sell). They are very flexible (not quite a gooseneck arm, but close). I usually use them with the MT24-EX twin heads for more positioning flexibility than the Canon ring that attaches to the end of the lens. However, they are strong enough to support a 600EX-RT.

Thank you Danski, and Neuro. The F2 looks quite promising, and I like the fact that you can use it with the 600.

I did not think about the convex shapes, so it would be hard no matter what, but at least you can get more pleasing results.

Again, thank you for your answers :)

Gerhard.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Quasimodo said:
neuroanatomist said:
Quasimodo said:

Thank you Danski, and Neuro. The F2 looks quite promising, and I like the fact that you can use it with the 600.

I did not think about the convex shapes, so it would be hard no matter what, but at least you can get more pleasing results.

Again, thank you for your answers :)

Gerhard.

Dear Quasimodo
I use 2 of this Flex. Dual Arm Bracket Holder Pass 5 years, and Great Work for Double Flashes for Macro Photos---YES, Only 30 US Dollars.---BIG BUT----Be careful about the Heavy weight of the Flash and the receiever weight.
Enjoy
Surapon

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Dual-arm-Dual-shoe-Bracket-Holder/dp/B00EZI3WUS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390075028&sr=8-4&keywords=dual+flash+bracket

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
alexturton said:
if you have a flashgun already the rayflash is a good ring flash for around £150. Wonderful ring flash for macro, portraits, anything!

You can cheaper versions on amazon for around £40 but I can't comment on the cheap knockoffs quality

I know the ray´s. But would you not have troubles with the famiy of angles?

Upvote 0