Looking for upgrade recommendations from T6s

Talys said:
Isaacheus said:
Huh weird, I've found that slower moving objects seem to come up OK in my experience, so I wonder if it's more affected by certain shutter speeds? It's great for landscapes and timelapse, which is where most of my shooting is done. I guess the a9 is where they want you to be at for true silent shooting and action though

I have a sequence of 13 photos of a very large dog as it swims across a lake and then leaps into action. It was taken with an A7R3 using center + expanding and shot at 8fps in Hi mode. Shutter speed I think is 1/2500.

The photos while the dog is swimming towards me are relatively sharp, though not perfectly so. At 1500 - 2000 long edge resolutions, I think they're clear enough. However, as the dog moves into rapid action and splashes water around, the AF system gets confused, and sometimes focuses on the water droplets instead of the dog!

Now, I know that I could have selected one of the "lock on the subject" modes, but I hate doing this, because it basically screws me over with quickly taking a picture of something else interesting that pops up. Plus, being used to tracking subjects with center point AF, I'm quite comfortable with keeping camera pointed where the subject is.

Out of the 13 shots, 5 are pre-action and fine. Of the remaining 8, only 3 are sharp enough to share; the rest are either just out of focus, or, the camera is focusing on the water droplets in the air. Perhaps I'll post them up so that others can see.

Isaacheus said:
On the af point, I think part of the trouble is that it tries to focus with the lens stopped down, rather than opening the aperture up to get focus first, at least with one of the exposure simulations on: turning it off means that it will focus wide open and then stop down to the wanted aperture on shooting. Whether this is useful to you, or even the issue with focus and strobes, I'm not sure. All I can remember is that it's one of the settings I leave on, as I don't typically use strobes/flash.

I'm sure you mean Live View/Setting Effect On/Off. It does not seem to improve things, but frankly, the camera is unusable with Effect On (WYSIWYG) when you're using flash, because if you're correctly exposed to see stuff, the flash will just wash everythign out. If you have it configured for the flash, you won't see anything at all through the VF :D

Setting Effect to OFF, which make the VF always bright, does not appear to help.

Isaacheus said:
The weather sealing at the bottom seems to be the issue yeah; I'm normally on a tripod, so not such an issue there hopefully. Looking for a good cover (for both the sony and Canon) to minimise the risk overall. Can't really justify a 5dmk4 or 1dx2 just for the sake of a cover vs weather sealing

I've always wondered about the crevices on battery grips and sealing, interested to know if anyone has had any issues with Canon ones?

The crevices on the battery grips and base have no impact on a canon. I think they exist to help grip the tripod plate to the base.

TBH, the weather sealing isn't a huge deal for me, because I don't shoot very often when it's raining, certainly not more than if it's a little drizzle. But still, I'd much rather have a camera that's weather sealed than not. Sometimes a little water or moisture is just unavoidable.

By the way, here's one of the sharper images of the dog.
[/quote]

Nice shot of the dog.
Pity you've had a bit of trouble with the af though - I assume you've been using native glass if you're shooting at 8 fps too.

I haven't played around with the lock on af yet for the same reason you have.

And I think you're right about the view finder effect setting, I would have hoped that would help the situation but looks like it's an area where it could be improved.

Upvote 0
I always see people automatically go to the value scenario for some reason. I find that it distracts from the intent of the people who ask question about the gear. If someone wants to know if they would be happier with a different lens, most posters include the value aspect as the focus of their response. I think that the respondents should establish the ground rules for the implied intent of the OP before assuming that cost has to be a factor in this decision.

I bought a EF 100-400mm II because I wanted the best IQ I could get. I know that 400mm isn't offered in the EF-S line of lenses, but I was looking at images captured from this lens and knew I'd have to save for it because it is very expensive. I can't tell you how satisfied I am with the purchase, as I can see the reason this lens costs what it does. Every single time I review captures using this lens, there is a satisfaction that can't be bought. It's priceless. The same goes for the 70-200mm f/2.8 II.

I am a hobby photographer that wants the best quality IQ I can get, and the satisfaction of reviewing the captures that just stand out as stunning is a priceless feeling. The feeling I get when I load up my gear, knowing that these lenses are top of the line, and realizing that I didn't try to save a couple hundred bucks for a lesser IQ result, makes it worthwhile each time. I may have spent a crazy amount of money as opposed to being more value conscious purchaser, but I am smiling ear to ear every time I pull the card out for reviewing the captures of the day.

The other thing that occured to me when I decided to drop that kind of cabbage on a lens was the resale value. I figure that I can sell these high quality lenses for a lot more than the less expensive ones. That is a comforting feeling as well.

Upvote 0
Update for anyone who was interested - I ended up picking up a used 80D (came with a 10-18 STM too). It was too good a deal to pass up and I decided budget-wise I was going to be waiting a while to justify a FF body... especially when what I really want to spend that money on is lenses (100-400 II, I'm looking at you).

So far so good - DPAF truly is a whole different ball game from the live view experience on the T6s. Well worth the price of admission.

I'm still getting my settings all dialed in but glad I went ahead with the upgrade!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Duct_Taper said:
Update for anyone who was interested - I ended up picking up a used 80D (came with a 10-18 STM too). It was too good a deal to pass up and I decided budget-wise I was going to be waiting a while to justify a FF body... especially when what I really want to spend that money on is lenses (100-400 II, I'm looking at you).

So far so good - DPAF truly is a whole different ball game from the live view experience on the T6s. Well worth the price of admission.

I'm still getting my settings all dialed in but glad I went ahead with the upgrade!

Congratulations. I came very close to buying an 80D to upgrade from my T3i. Everything I read and my limited experience with an 80D suggested that it is a great camera. I finally decided to wait for the 6D2 instead, and don't regret that. I just got the 100-400 II. I have now disposed of my disposable income, but am very happy with that purchase, too. I've read in more than one place that it is likely the best zoom telephoto ever. I would not be surprised if that is true.

I have the 10-22mm for my Rebel. I was shooting interiors for some realtors at the time, and it did a fine job. The 10-18mm came out later, and I likely would have bought it instead had it been out when I needed it. It is smaller and reviews say it is as sharp. And I had 18-22mm covered by the kit lens.

I still don't have anything wider than 24mm for my 6D2, so if I had a sudden need for UWA, I'd get out the Rebel and the T3i. If I had a little notice and I were going to make a little money off the shoot, I'd buy the 16-35mm f/4 for the 6D2. That covers the same range as the 10-22 does for Rebels.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Congratulations on your purchase of a used 80D. I was going to recommend waiting for the 90D to come out. Now you have money to put towards buying a 100-400 ll. I have the version l which I love. It sees things that I can’t see. With 2 C modes on the mode dial of the 80d, you can set one for action to capture your son running around and for BIF. Mode 2 can be used for anything else you frequently shoot.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
Duct_Taper said:

Congratulations. I came very close to buying an 80D to upgrade from my T3i. Everything I read and my limited experience with an 80D suggested that it is a great camera. I finally decided to wait for the 6D2 instead, and don't regret that. I just got the 100-400 II. I have now disposed of my disposable income, but am very happy with that purchase, too. I've read in more than one place that it is likely the best zoom telephoto ever. I would not be surprised if that is true.

I have the 10-22mm for my Rebel. I was shooting interiors for some realtors at the time, and it did a fine job. The 10-18mm came out later, and I likely would have bought it instead had it been out when I needed it. It is smaller and reviews say it is as sharp. And I had 18-22mm covered by the kit lens.

I still don't have anything wider than 24mm for my 6D2, so if I had a sudden need for UWA, I'd get out the Rebel and the T3i. If I had a little notice and I were going to make a little money off the shoot, I'd buy the 16-35mm f/4 for the 6D2. That covers the same range as the 10-22 does for Rebels.

I have the 16-35mm f/4 lens for my 6D2 and it's an amazing combination. The lens is pin sharp center to the edges no matter what focal range you are at.
I also have the 80D with a 10-18mm lens and that is an awesome lens to and rather quite sharp with great IQ rendition and contrast.

I almost always have both these cameras with me in my every day carry bag (An awesome pair!) In the last few months I've mostly had the 70-300mm IS USM mark ii lens always on the 80D and the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 always on the 6D2. The 16-35mm is ALWAYS with me though to quickly snap on the 6D2 when needed, mostly for landscapes and home interior shots.

I thought when I bought the 6D2 last year that I would seldom use my 80D all that much any more, I was wrong! The 80D is just a darn good camera and I love the extra reach with my bigger lenses the 6D2 can't get.

Pairing these two cameras together has completely changed my photography game and increased the fun taking photos bigtime!!!! They both are excellent cameras and have great and amazing image quality regardless of all the negative trolling saying different.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Durf said:
I have the 16-35mm f/4 lens for my 6D2 and it's an amazing combination. The lens is pin sharp center to the edges no matter what focal range you are at.

I also have the 80D with a 10-18mm lens and that is an awesome lens to and rather quite sharp with great IQ rendition and contrast.

I agree! As wide angle combinations, these are both fantastic. The 80D with the 10-18 in most situations produces photos that are very nearly as good, especially in the realm of nice vacation vistas, and it's a much lighter/smaller combination to pack. And of course, the 10-18 is much cheaper.

The main things the 16-35 on the 6DII has going for it (for me) are the fixed aperture and weather sealing.

Durf said:
I thought when I bought the 6D2 last year that I would seldom use my 80D all that much any more, I was wrong! The 80D is just a darn good camera and I love the extra reach with my bigger lenses the 6D2 can't get.

Pairing these two cameras together has completely changed my photography game and increased the fun taking photos bigtime!!!! They both are excellent cameras and have great and amazing image quality regardless of all the negative trolling saying different.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I also have both a 6DII and 80D, and I use my 80D a lot, especially in my home studio. It is an amazing camera. Going between the two cameras is pretty seamless, except that the zoom and magnify function is ergonomically different between them.

One thing the 6DII is much better at is remote shooting, because it can pair with multiple laptops, whereas the 80D can only be paired with one at a time.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Durf said:

I agree! As wide angle combinations, these are both fantastic. The 80D with the 10-18 in most situations produces photos that are very nearly as good, especially in the realm of nice vacation vistas, and it's a much lighter/smaller combination to pack. And of course, the 10-18 is much cheaper.

The main things the 16-35 on the 6DII has going for it (for me) are the fixed aperture and weather sealing.

Durf said:

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I also have both a 6DII and 80D, and I use my 80D a lot, especially in my home studio. It is an amazing camera. Going between the two cameras is pretty seamless, except that the zoom and magnify function is ergonomically different between them.

One thing the 6DII is much better at is remote shooting, because it can pair with multiple laptops, whereas the 80D can only be paired with one at a time.

Yes, it took me a little while getting used to the magnify button being in a different spot on the 6D2! lol

Shooting constantly now for 8 months or so with both cameras I'd be lost if one of them broke.....I'd have to immediately replace it. (with the same camera and not a friggin Sony!) haha.

I honestly don't care how much better other cameras are, these two cameras are awesome and get the job done for me with outstanding results.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Durf said:
Talys said:
Durf said:

Durf said:

Yes, it took me a little while getting used to the magnify button being in a different spot on the 6D2! lol

Shooting constantly now for 8 months or so with both cameras I'd be lost if one of them broke.....I'd have to immediately replace it. (with the same camera and not a friggin Sony!) haha.

I honestly don't care how much better other cameras are, these two cameras are awesome and get the job done for me with outstanding results.

You have spoken great wisdom. The cameras that you mention (80D and 6D II) are awesome. You can't get much (if any) better than awesome, which means other cameras are not much better (or even ANY better). Only forum dwellers who love specs think otherwise. Whatever you do, don't let their ignorance influence you.

Upvote 0