Looking or an Fullframe SLR - Your Experience needed

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
daniela said:
Just one question: Which flash? I own the 550EX. The shop assistens told me to buy an 430 or 580. Are they so much better?

No. As far as exposure control is concerned it's up with the latest ones. It also does optical trigger master/slave etc.

No way would I change a 550EX for a 430EX, and I have both.

Upvote 0
daniela said:
Are the new generation of flashes much better? What I would be interested, is the wireless function to get the flash off the camera.
I own an cable for that, but this does not work sufficient. (Or: The more true answer ist, that I am not trained enough to use it correctly)

What I will look for in some time, is an ring-flash with a lot of heads, like nikon has.

G
Daniela

I own a set of Canon 600RTs with the transmitter. Prior to this, I owned a set of Canon 580 EX IIs and a 430 EX II.

If you're looking to do more off camera flash then the 600RTs with the transmitter are an expensive, but reliable option for mobile, light weight, on-location flash photography. If you're looking to do more studio work then a nice pair of monolights would be better as they'd offer more power for around the same price as a pair of 600RTs.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Your tripod is more than adequate for now, even with some fairly long lenses, which of course is not usual for landscapes.

sek

daniela said:
Drizzt321 said:
What unfocused said.

Plus, while I have a gripped 5d3 and love the grip, why are you needing a grip? Or is it because you want the dual batteries so you don't have to change in the middle of a field somewhere?

As for the 6D, it's a great camera from everything I've heard. The center AF point is very good, although the rest are meh.

As for memory card, from what I recall, 6D supports up to UHS-1. So pick a card that has UHS-1 support, and then pick you're preferred brand & speed.

Last bit, landscapes. You can do them without a tripod, depending on your style, but if you are going to end up being rather serious about them you should definitely consider a good quality tripod, which will run you $500-600 and up. But, if you just sorta have an interest, leave that for another time. Also get a cable release and learn about mirror lockup.

Thanks... wil buy an UHS-I.
I own an Manfrotto 055XProb with an good 3 way head and an Sirui N-2204 carbon tripod. My 7D with my 100-400 oder 70-200 2.8 are very stable on thess tripods. I own an wireless shutter release too

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
For the price bring a couple of batteries. I also use SanDisk cards as a personal preferance.

daniela said:
Drizzt321 said:
What unfocused said.

Plus, while I have a gripped 5d3 and love the grip, why are you needing a grip? Or is it because you want the dual batteries so you don't have to change in the middle of a field somewhere?

As for the 6D, it's a great camera from everything I've heard. The center AF point is very good, although the rest are meh.

As for memory card, from what I recall, 6D supports up to UHS-1. So pick a card that has UHS-1 support, and then pick you're preferred brand & speed.

Last bit, landscapes. You can do them without a tripod, depending on your style, but if you are going to end up being rather serious about them you should definitely consider a good quality tripod, which will run you $500-600 and up. But, if you just sorta have an interest, leave that for another time. Also get a cable release and learn about mirror lockup.

I was told to buy an grip, because the 6D´s GPS drains the batteries quite much. Better take an exchance battery in my backpack without an grip?

Upvote 0
daniela said:
......What I will look for in some time, is an ring-flash with a lot of heads, like nikon has......
Ring lighting once sounded very attractive to me too. I saw a few examples of LED ring lights, have built two of my own so far, used them for very boring technical photos.

What you get with ring lighting is no shadows, photos with a fairly flat appearance. Of course there are shadows, the camera can't see them though, it's like the lens is looking through the middle of a flashlight beam.
Shadows are what give photos depth, drama and texture. Shadows are good. Except when they mask areas of interest of course.
Ring lighting for portraits also creates tell tale circular catch lighting in the subject's eyes.

What I get with ring lighting are flat and boring but informative photos that really only have interest to those within a very narrow area of a specialization.
I never shot anything with ring lighting that I would consider artistic or creative at all. nothing that might grab any random stranger's attention and admiration.

All that said, there are photographers that have settled on ring lighting for at least part of their personal style.

Upvote 0
if you want a ringflash and dont want a dedicated expensive elinchrom option or profoto but something light and flexable
forget all other modifiers and just get a powerfull speedlight and a roundflash
http://roundflash.com/
I've actually got a godox wistro 360 now and it works with this and provides tons of light is super portable too

Upvote 0
daniela said:
I am happy with my 6D!

And that's all that really matters. 8)

the only negative thing is that the battery is quite old (2010) and runs out of energy after 100 shots. and the Canon support says: impossible. no older battery then 2013... but mie is 2010.... :-(

How do you know the battery is 2010? I never checked mine nor do I know how to.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
daniela said:
I am happy with my 6D!

And that's all that really matters. 8)

the only negative thing is that the battery is quite old (2010) and runs out of energy after 100 shots. and the Canon support says: impossible. no older battery then 2013... but mie is 2010.... :-(

There is an blue field on the bottom. There is printed 2010 and the month (Canon support told me)

How do you know the battery is 2010? I never checked mine nor do I know how to.

Upvote 0