Lost half of my Canon DSLR

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this.. :'( :'(
I registered all my serial numbers on lenstag... I suggest that everyone go do that as well as insuring your gear. I still have yet to do the later myself. There are stories of stolen gear being recovered through lenstag... but then I don't know how many aren't recovered. Best to you Dylan!

Upvote 0
23566645-inside-view-of-dslr-camera-split-in-half.jpg

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your equipment. I remember on lensrentals and elsewhere there is information on how to track down your gear using stolencamerafinder.com and, cameratrace, but it would also seem that would require a thief to post images online. Also, if you've saved copyright info to the camera that might aid in proving ownership should the equipment be located- as well as having registered your equipment with Canon and other manufacturers where possible. This is my worst nightmare. I bought most of my equipment while working a good-paying job that allowed me all sort of leeway financially AND, more importantly, with the wife. I can't imagine how I'd restore the same capability if something like this were to happen to me.
One last thing: I was burglarized back in the eighties and lost some 1500 lp records, and a couple of firearms among other things. At the time the police said most of the time things like that are perpetrated by someone we know as they had some idea what they would find, and where to find it, before the break-in. They added that it could be someone who'd been in my home accompanying someone else that I was familiar with, or even simply observed me for a long time after discovering my goods by some accident.
Anyway.
I hope things get better...

Upvote 0
So sorry to hear! :'(

A couple months ago before Christmas, I lost a new 5D3 in the box to a guy I was selling to on Craigslist when he literally ran off down the street with it without paying.

Well, I took possession of it yesterday from the court. Turns out, another guy pawned it 45 minutes after he stole it. They contacted me because I had provided the serial number in the police report. Unfortunately all the box contents were missing including the eyepiece but at least I got the camera itself back in pristine condition.

I hope you possibly have the serial numbers so that recovery might have a better chance. So sorry! I definitely can relate. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
RustyTheGeek said:
So sorry to hear! :'(

A couple months ago before Christmas, I lost a new 5D3 in the box to a guy I was selling to on Craigslist when he literally ran off down the street with it without paying.

Well, I took possession of it yesterday from the court. Turns out, another guy pawned it 45 minutes after he stole it. They contacted me because I had provided the serial number in the police report. Unfortunately all the box contents were missing including the eyepiece but at least I got the camera itself back in pristine condition.

I hope you possibly have the serial numbers so that recovery might have a better chance. So sorry! I definitely can relate. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Hey Rusty, I actually remember reading your sad craigslist experience over the holidays while visiting my inlaws. In fact, it got me thinking how I should be a bit more careful. I have done very little on craigslist, but have been very nonchalant in my experiences, having strangers show up at my house (granted we're talking giant TV or floor speakers) hoping to meet at bars so I can kill two birds with one stone (sell equipment and grab a quick beer). Your story and others from that thread was enough to count me blessings so far and maybe open my eyes a bit more going forward.

Anyhoo, I'm quite happy to hear you got your camera back as your original story really did bug me, make me a little mad even.

Upvote 0
So sorry to hear the sad news, Dylan. I hope the insurance comes through for you. It sucks how we often don't know all the limits of our insurance coverage until we need to make a claim.

A few years ago while living in a condo, I had two cars, three car stereos, a tank of gas and a tool chest of plumbing tools (right from my utility room) all stolen within about an 11-month span. That feeling of walking out to my parking space to go to work and finding it empty was bad enough once, but twice -- it sucks...bad. The next day someone siphoned both gas tanks from the truck I was borrowing until I could get another car. Talk about feeling picked-on! I don't miss that condo...

When the first car was "recovered" a week later, it was unrecognizable and had been totally gutted. Somehow, they were too dumb to figure out how to get my snowboard out of the trunk, even though they ripped the deck lid off (all they had to do was bend the snowboard a little, and it would have been out). Glad I had comprehensive coverage for that one, and thankfully, the insurance came through with a generous offer, considering it had >200K miles on it.

The second car, I thought, "No problem...I'll just get the claim started," only to find that some validation flaw on the insurance company's web form had unchecked the comprehensive coverage when I added that car to my policy. Thankfully, the cops found that car with only damage to the ignition and steering column. Got very lucky there...

Anyway, it sucks that there are people out there who think they can just take what someone has worked very hard for. I just feel sad for them, though...some day it will catch up to them.

Good luck with insurance, security, finances and most importantly peace of mind.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Got broke-in last week, while our family was on mini vacation. Looks like they went through my office 1st, where all my camera gear been stored. Bodies and lenses were stored in Lowpro 200 roller - that was an easy for them.

Oh no, my condolences, that's really bad and things being taken from your home feels much more invasive than being nicked at some airport. While it may seem like blablabla while you're so frustrated, I have to mention you (and your friends, family) weren't hurt like in a robbery.

I can only hope that you have enough financial backing so you can replace the stuff and get over it as quickly as possible, writing it off and trying to forget about it. Of course the frustrating part that you already had top-notch gear and probably want the same things again :-\

Let's hope all people buying stolen goods get hit by lightning from the sky, because with serial numbers on everything that's the only way these items can be sold and why they're stolen in the first place.

RustyTheGeek said:

Unbelievable. Which doesn't mean I don't believe it, but it's just that you don't expect those things to happen in our day and age in a big western country.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Dylan777 said:
Thanks guy.

Got broke-in last week, while our family was on mini vacation. Looks like they went through my office 1st, where all my camera gear been stored. Bodies and lenses were stored in Lowpro 200 roller - that was an easy for them.

Gear I lost:
5d iii
16-35 f4 IS
24-70 f2.8 II
70-200 f2.8 IS II
85L II
600EX flashes QTY: 3
The only insured item through house insurance was 70-200.

Working with the home insurance agent right now. Will see...

Sounds like they were in-out within 5mins, the cops were there within 10mins. I been live here for last 10yrs, nothing happens until now.
Very sorry to hear this Dylan. Hope that cops can capture these culprits that broke into your house and recover your gear.

Upvote 0
Most applicable comments have been made already - good luck to your recovery efforts (both financially and mentally).
We had an "almost break-in" a couple of yeras ago in broad daylight in a 15 party 5 storey building in the midle of a large German city and not in a badly reputed neigbourhood.
"They" were distrubed by someone coming home "out of pattern" at 10:30 am - otherwise the house is empty during day time as everyone is out working. Most likely traveling pro-gangs from Eastern Europe. Police says, if they can not make a safe entry and exit within 3-5 Minutes they try elsewhere.
I have rented out my groundfloor falt to an elderly couple with a dog - that should help for people visibly living there "around the clock". I hope for the best.

Upvote 0