Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Recently we’ve <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-canon-camera-bodies-appear-for-certification/">become aware of 6 different unreleased Canon ILC camera bodies</a> that have come up for various types of certification. The only camera out of the lot that we’re pretty sure is coming this year, is an EOS M5 Mark II ahead of Photokina in September. Beyond that, everything is currently a guess.</p>
<p>There are <a href="https://www.*********.com/first-specification-suggestions-for-upcoming-canon-cameras-eos-7d-mark-ii-eos-80d-mark-ii-eos-m5-mark-ii/">reports that two of the DSLRs mentioned will be the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II</a> successors, both of which are very popular models in the lineup. Unfortunately, we have been unable to confirm that this is the case. Good sources have said repeatedly to me that there would not be a major DSLR release in 2018 and that 2019 is still an unknown.</p>
<p>Now, these certifications can happen many months in advance of an actual announcement, so it’s possible we’re looking a Q1 2019 camera bodies. Which, if true, there’s no chance of having any real specifications to report beyond guesses and logical next steps in the EOS xxD and EOS 7D line. If either of them is coming in 2018, Canon is doing a stellar job of keeping the lid on things.</p>
<p>We’ll obviously provide an update on these camera models as soon as we’re able to.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

transpo1 said:
Good news for Canon lovers that there are some potentially unpredictable releases out there, especially with regard to MILC cameras.

Canon is now actually starting to disrupt their own product line and shake things up a bit, as recent executives have discussed.

Canon hasn't started to disrupt anything yet, it's just rumors. I'll believe it when I see an actual product with an actual review.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Etienne said:
transpo1 said:
Good news for Canon lovers that there are some potentially unpredictable releases out there, especially with regard to MILC cameras.

Canon is now actually starting to disrupt their own product line and shake things up a bit, as recent executives have discussed.

Canon hasn't started to disrupt anything yet, it's just rumors. I'll believe it when I see an actual product with an actual review.

I completely agree with you but I'm trying to be positive here that they've seen the light- pun intended ;)

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure with a decade of disappointments in the DSLR industry, they've forgotten how to disrupt.

October 2005 the Canon 5D Mark I came out.
September 2008 the Canon 5D Mark II Came out with a larger screen and video shooting capability that shot 30fps, not 24p (23.997 fps) and not 30p (29.997fps).

I would be really surprised if Canon came out with something amazing. I still use Canon but I also own Sony.

Canons are great for using on weddings that make good money and I can get Canon to turn a repair around in under a week. Their service is hands down second to none.

Sony is better as far as flexibility in creative options imo.

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
Etienne said:
transpo1 said:

I completely agree with you but I'm trying to be positive here that they've seen the light- pun intended ;)

Don't fret, it's definitely OK to be punny on hump day! ;D

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
transpo1 said:

So a company no longer produces new products, they 'disrupt' their own product lines? It seems that being 'disruptive' has become a mark of success....

People may point to Canon and draw analogies with Kodak and Nokia (who actually remained very successful, just not in their original high profile products) but in business, the disruptor is often the first one to go out of business when they realise they cannot maintain their advantage, become ossified in being disruptive for the sake of it and don't know how to develop what they have got.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:

no they haven't.

even if they add more mirrorless that's not going to disrupt anything.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Mikehit said:
transpo1 said:

So a company no longer produces new products, they 'disrupt' their own product lines? It seems that being 'disruptive' has become a mark of success....

People may point to Canon and draw analogies with Kodak and Nokia (who actually remained very successful, just not in their original high profile products) but in business, the disruptor is often the first one to go out of business when they realise they cannot maintain their advantage, become ossified in being disruptive for the sake of it and don't know how to develop what they have got.

A company produces new products that disrupt their own product lines before competitors do. This has been talked about in tech / business circles for years. An old school example is that Apple’s iPod mini was selling well under Steve Jobs. But that didn’t stop them with coming out with a new product, the iPod Nano, which was a much smaller version with newer tech. It killed iPod mini sales eventually but became a much more successful product in the long run. Apple came out with a smaller, more advanced version of the iPod before someone else did, hence disrupting themselves.

Upvote 0
If a new 7D has higher DR, 4k and excellent auto focus in video mode, I'll probably be buying. Just talked with a friend of mine who runs a video studio that employs about 12 full time staff. They used to do all their videoing with Canon, but he told me they've completely abandoned Canon and are now full into Sony. He used the world "dinosaur" to describe Canon's recent track record. I'm still hanging in there (although I do use Sony for videoing) at least until year-end, to see what Canon comes up with. I've got a lot invested in Canon glass and am really dragging my feet in going over to Sony, hoping Canon takes "future proofing" seriously.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:

no they haven't.

No, they haven’t yet. But you are otherwise incorrect- an MILC with advanced features will disrupt their DSLR product line.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:

no they haven't.

No, they haven’t yet. But you are otherwise incorrect- an MILC with advanced features will disrupt their DSLR product line.

not really, it will be sold side by side and simply co exist with their other product lines.

Canon has shown a remarkable ability to add product lines without disrupting other lines. People tend to overthink both the importance of video and the importance of mirrorless.

The reason mirrorless is improving isn't because of mirrorless is because they are mature camera companies now (Fuji, Sony,etc) with mature product lines.

And if anything they have been disrupting Nikon, not Canon.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
KirkD said:
If a new 7D has higher DR, 4k and excellent auto focus in video mode, I'll probably be buying.

For DR, I'd keep your feet on the ground. You'll probably see a bump like this:

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%207D%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%2080D

That is to say, a nice bump in low ISO but not a game changing explosion of latitude. This is what we've seen with the various models that got the on-chip ADC setup.

But you never know. The 7D line tends to prioritize higher ISO performance than, say, some enthusiast landscaping rig.

4K of some sort + DPAF for that price point seems a bit of a gimme by the time we see it (late 2019 by projections). Whether the 4K itself is good enough for you will depend on the fine print.

- A

Upvote 0