LOVE the RF85

Seems like everyone on CR that has the RF85mm loves it!

How and when does this lens flare? Outdoors at night the ef 85/1.8 and 135/2 can get really - can’t remember the name for it- foggy-an overall drop in contrast. Anyone pushed it to its limits in this respect?

RF 85 is extremely better than EF in this case.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Seems like everyone on CR that has the RF85mm loves it!

How and when does this lens flare? Outdoors at night the ef 85/1.8 and 135/2 can get really - can’t remember the name for it- foggy-an overall drop in contrast. Anyone pushed it to its limits in this respect?
Here is a minimally processed image (bad one) of the RF 85mm f/1.2L shot straight into the sun @f/1.2 with the hood in place. I think the lens holds up very well. I have a hard time getting any flair and I have been shooting into the sun a lot lately. I always shoot with a hood. Detail is still incredible.

Attachments

• Flair example.jpg
    Flair example.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks for sharing.

Wonder how it compares with the EF 85 1.4 IS, which I love and is affixed to my 5DSR.
It doesn't have IS. I have never owned the EF 85 f/1.4L IS (so would never say anything about it), but wanted one real bad before switching to the R. The problem is you can't use an RF lens on an EF mount. So I would rent an R and RF lens before making any decision. Your lens, though would work fine on the R. Maybe rent an R and adapter and try that out?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a minimally processed image (bad one) of the RF 85mm f/1.2L shot straight into the sun @f/1.2 with the hood in place. I think the lens holds up very well. I have a hard time getting any flair and I have been shooting into the sun a lot lately. I always shoot with a hood. Detail is still incredible.
Yeah, handles the sun great- thanks for posting it!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing.

Wonder how it compares with the EF 85 1.4 IS, which I love and is affixed to my 5DSR.
I had the 85 L IS, and if I’m really honest; I didn’t like it. The AF was not as precise and fast as I would’ve liked and had expected. Way too much purple fringing and it wasn’t that sharp. What I did like was the 3D pop, build and IS. The AF was quite a bit better than the EF f1.2, but that’s not really saying a lot.

The RF is flawless and waaaay better and more enjoyable, can’t compare imo.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I had the 85 L IS, and if I’m really honest; I didn’t like it. The AF was not as precise and fast as I would’ve liked and had expected. Way too much purple fringing and it wasn’t that sharp. What I did like was the 3D pop, build and IS. The AF was quite a bit better than the EF f1.2, but that’s not really saying a lot.

The RF is flawless and waaaay better and more enjoyable, can’t compare imo.
Sort of on topic: I shot the same model at the same time as a photographer who used the 5D Mark III and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II (no slouch of a lens or camera). Her frustration was missing focus on the eye quite often, even though the shutter speed was very high and the single focus point was directly on the eye. That was my same former experience with the same setup. The R just nails focus nearly all the time. It really is unbelievable. Now, I have no idea of her AFMA experience, but the R doesn't need it. Focus hit rate has made the switch worth it for me. It'll only get better with the upcoming firmware update.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi CFB
Out of curiosity, how do you like the RF 85 compared with your old 135L? I realise they are different focal lengths but I know you were a big fan of the 135L (as am I), so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
I miss the 135mm, but I relish the idea of a possible RF version. Honestly, I am hoping for a short portrait zoom of RF70-135mm f/2L to match the 28-70. I could be very happy with that. It would not suprise me at all if that happened given that Canon has already relesed the traditional 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8's. Hoping for another lens that Canon would like to "show off" with. The bokeh is great on either lens.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

Yeah, it's just ok at 1.4 but at 2.0 and beyond it's quite good. At f4 it's bitingly sharp actually - especially on the 5DSR. Even better than the 100L Macro that I was using beforehand!

As for AF, yes I notice a little drift from time to time (mostly in low light) but it's par for the course with a camera like this I'm afraid...I get around it by taking at least 2 shots (preferably 3). I've had at least one come out each time, and all I need is one...Also AFMA adjustment - I needed to dial in -6 correction to get the most out of it when AF hits. Far more consistent than the 1.2 ever was, however.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, it's just ok at 1.4 but at 2.0 and beyond it's quite good. At f4 it's bitingly sharp actually - especially on the 5DSR. Even better than the 100L Macro that I was using beforehand!

As for AF, yes I notice a little drift from time to time (mostly in low light) but it's par for the course with a camera like this I'm afraid...I get around it by taking at least 2 shots (preferably 3). I've had at least one come out each time, and all I need is one...Also AFMA adjustment - I needed to dial in -6 correction to get the most out of it when AF hits. Far more consistent than the 1.2 ever was, however.
I found my 85 IS to be as poor with 1dx2 as with the R. Yes, much more consistent then the EF f1.2, but yeah. I use my lenses wide open, or rather buy them because, so if my f1.4 is epic at f4, it doesn’t really matter to me (y)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I found my 85 IS to be as poor with 1dx2 as with the R. Yes, much more consistent then the EF f1.2, but yeah. I use my lenses wide open, or rather buy them because, so if my f1.4 is epic at f4, it doesn’t really matter to me (y)

For me, my choice to stop down with that lens is more a DOF issue than a sharpness one. For a headshot, at 85mm I find I need f4 to get anything more than just an eye or two in good focus (with the 100L this was not an issue even at 2.8 ). For 3/4 body shots I like the balanced look that f2 provides. But, I’ll admit if the lens had better performance at 1.4 on the 5DSR I’d consider that for full-body shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0