Lower end EOS R body to omit the touch bar

Oct 26, 2013
I really don't understand the move to release an entry level R camera now, where you can only buy high end lenses for it. If someone was interested in buying into the new system via an entry level camera, he probably would want to use entry level priced lenses to come with it. Since this is not in the portfolio of canon right now in the R line, this really doesn't make sense for me. Who might be the target audience for it? Who will buy an entry level camera with a 50 F1.2 or a 28-70 F2? Looking at the prices right now, 3600 Euros for a body, kit lens and adapter isn't cheap. On the same page, comparing the features of the EOS-R with other cameras in the mirrorless market and with DSLRs: What could entry mean in this case as this more or less entry already? Really puzzled about this.

Target audience:

People who already have EF lenses.
People who buy the R with the 24-105mm kit lens. That is why it is sold with a kit lens and not the 28-70mm or the 50mm.
People who will buy and then use the 28-70mm or the 50mm on the R, where they will perform quite well.

The R is not an entry level camera. Rebels are entry level cameras. Perhaps this is where your confusion comes from.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
who cares if it is deliberately or not?
others show that they can do what canon can not/will not.

If they are unable to add a function due to their technological limitations simply telling them to do it is meaningless. If they could do it but choose not to that is a valid criticism.
Either way, anyone who has these criticisms and continue to buy Canon are implicitly telling Canon that actually those functionalities are actually not very important after all and Canon are doing good things overall.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry Dik. I own nothing but Canon cameras, including the EOS R. No script. Just experience.
Wow, djickfartyone (seems we’re both prone to typos), I’m amazed you haven’t switched to a brand other than Canon, with all of that bad experience. By buying even their most recent model, you’re sending the message that they’re making desirable gear. Why are you doing that?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sorry Dik. I own nothing but Canon cameras, including the EOS R. No script. Just experience.

OK, sorry for my assumption. If you own nothing but Canon and have bought the R, then obviously I misinterpreted your comment. You seem very unhappy with Canon's R and love the specs of all the competitors. You must have misspoken and meant that you love the new control ring, the new fully articulating screen, the industry leading touch screen, the touch and drag AF, the sensor protection curtain and the other specs that Sony, Nikon and Fuji don't have. I guess, since you bought the R, you meant that Canon was leading the game! :););)

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I’m curious to see what Canon brings to the table with this entry level model.
One thing I would like to point out about all these comments is that:
Yes, Canon has seen its market share grow and is “leading”, but it’s thanks to:
1) people with a lot of EF lenses that don’t want to bother switching and are okay with some lower tier specs in some areas (DR, ISO, etc)
2) NEW USERS: not everyone buys Full Frame, actually I think it’s a very small part: everyone that wants to have a good camera for their vacations or simply wants to start photography will buy an APS-C DSLR most likely, because they don’t have the resources to buy FF and because anyone with NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE on Cameras will buy the so-called “Reflex” camera that he has been used to see for the last 20ish years, and Canon because they do great marketing and they’re also renown for some of their older cameras.
Hell, most beginners don’t even know that Sony makes cameras!!
So the argument of the Market Share should be ditched in my opinion

From a Canon shooter, hoping Canon can take the good things from the R while still closing the gap with the above mentioned areas to bring us a truly great product

Upvote 0
It is entry level for FF. If your definition if to 'entry level' to photography, then surely that accolade belongs with smartphones and compacts.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Aside from the fact that 'entry level' is pretty meaningless when it's the only camera in a line (and I can't think of an objective way of defining the term except 'cheapest in its class'), the fact they used what is on several measures their best existing FF sensor means there are corners that could have been cut. Perhaps the market wouldn't have borne a 6D2 sensor in the first Canon FF MILC but they could have done it (and still could).

Upvote 0
Nero, Since Canon is so dominant, it has no excuses....right. I own a 1DX2 that badly underperforms my comrades D5 in in critical areas for wildlife photography such as AF, ISO and dynamic range.

Although it's a bad idea to respond to trolling, I think it's worth having on record that the D5's DR is LESS GOOD than the 1Dx2 - DPR who are generally Nikon-positive made it clear when they tested the D5 that it sacrifices lower ISO DR for high ISO performance. Feel free to delude yourself, but please keep the outright lies to a minimum, thanks.

Direct quotation: "the D5 has poorer base ISO dynamic range than its current peers". Source: Dpreview D5 review

Upvote 0
Although it's a little off topic, almost the whole thread is... but to those saying 'how can they possibly make a lower-level model than the R?' - take a look at the low-end APS-C DSLRs. Canon are experts at paring models down to the bone at the lower end - recycling old sensor designs, keeping AF points to a minimum, using cheaper materials. They get a lot of flak for it, but it's clearly a business model that works for them. I'd expect the same here to some extent - although it's not been applied to FF before really, there's no reason it couldn't be.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
No point in discussing the camera if you're calling it a mirrorless 6D. You clearly haven't tried it or looked at the pictures and videos produced by it.
I actualy tried it ;-)
The pictures may be nice (as the 5d iv) which is nowhere near a Sony a7RIII sensor.
The video features is realy a joke, no discussion there ;-)
It does pretty much the same than the 6d II and is certainly no professional camera (the single SD slot alone is proof for this)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
You do understand that Canon is building a system that they hope will last for decades. And that virtually no one needs a camera immediately. So, professional photographers can certainly wait another 6 months to a year (or more) to see what the R lineup will look ultimately look like.
Why would people wait so long if there is a way more capable system waiting at sonys side?

And that the R can certainly be used professionally - as can any FF camera and many crop cameras as well.
Yep it can, but why would ANYONE work with a single card-slot camera in a professional environment? (beside studio work) There is NO reason at all to use the EOS R over the 5d IV for your professional work.

And that they have released 4 lenses so far - so saying that they have released the "pretty much best lenses of their entire lineup" is rather silly, in my opinion.
I mean compared to there entire EF lineup. The 28-70 f2 and the 50mm is pretty much the best that canon offers, isnt it?

And calling the "R" a "toy" and insinuating that those that will buy the R and even a lower end future R will be doing nothing more than posting them on instagram is totally insulting to both Canon and those photographers that are using the R to produce professional level photographs.
Who exactly is using the EOS R for professional work? Leave influencers who are paid for it aside. Why would anyone use it over a 5D IV?
It is absolutely not a profesisonal tool. And Canon itself is absoluetly not advertising it as such.

It will take years to build their R system. What exactly is your hurry?
Leave the 1DX II aside (Which I use daily, but got a lot of flaws), there is NO useable other 4k camera AT ALL under 10k at canon. There are incredible powerfull tools in this price area on the competitors. Why should I wait another year to get any useable tool from canon for 4k productions and photography?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Cameras that cost hundreds and even thousands are not toys. Besides, the photographer/glass makes the biggest difference. Sorry about your Instagram.
It is absoluetely not a professional tool. Why do people insist it is? Not even canon acts like it is.

You are right on the lenses. The lenses are capable of a way higher resolution. In my opinion the EOS R sensor just doenst match the lenses performance.

I am not on instagram, I loathe it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It is absoluetely not a professional tool. Why do people insist it is? Not even canon acts like it is.

You are right on the lenses. The lenses are capable of a way higher resolution. In my opinion the EOS R sensor just doenst match the lenses performance.

I am not on instagram, I loathe it.

Professionals are making money with it. It is a professional tool for some. Again, sorry about your Instagram.

The R sensor doesn't match the lens performance? Which ones have you tried?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yep it can, but why would ANYONE work with a single card-slot camera in a professional environment? (beside studio work) There is NO reason at all to use the EOS R over the 5d IV for your professional work.
I wonder how many pros actually write to both cards simultaneously, as a backup in case of card failure. I find it interesting that the default behavior of Canon’s dual slot cameras is to just record to one card. More importantly, with the exception of one camera (the 1D X), simultaneous recording to both cards means a performance hit in terms of buffer clearing, with performance being limited by the slower of the two card slots. Personally, I do record to both CF cards in my 1D X (not that I’ve ever had a card fail), but if my camera had CF/SD mix or a CFast/CF mix such that recording to both resulted in sub-maximal performance, I’d likely just record to the faster card.

I mean compared to there entire EF lineup. The 28-70 f2 and the 50mm is pretty much the best that canon offers, isnt it?
Best for what? For shooting birds, the 600mm f/4L IS III is ‘the best Canon offers’. For shooting architecture, I’d argue that the TS-E 24/3.5L II and TS-E 17/4L are ‘the best Canon offers’. The EF 24-70/2.8L II and the RF 28-70/2L deliver similar image quality, so which is ‘the best Canon offers’ will vary depending on whether one values an extra stop of light or a 14% wider focal length. The RF 50/1.2L is arguably the best 50mm lens that Canon offers...but it’s also the most expensive 50mm lens that Canon offers, by a $1000 margin, so does it being ‘the best’ really come as a surprise?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

No manufacturer has a sensor that matches the resolution of the lens, the lens is always designed to exceed the resolution of the sensor (not to mention easier) - to do otherwise would be dumb.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I actualy tried it ;-)
The pictures may be nice (as the 5d iv) which is nowhere near a Sony a7RIII sensor.

Why would people wait so long if there is a way more capable system waiting at sonys side?

Obviously you must be aware that the 5D IV sensor is very comparable to Sony's and - all things considered (color, ergonomics, touch screen functionality, accessories, service, etc.) - Canon's "System" is certainly (at least) equal to Sony's.

Seems like you are just another Sony lover. So why not get a Sony and hang out on their forums?

Upvote 0