LR: unique arw's seen as duplicate during import

Something strange is happening here: I shot multiple focus stacks in arw format with a sony a6300 (on silent shot mode) . I shot tethered so files end up directly on my harddisk.

When I try to import them (by clicking import and selecting the correct folder), a small number of files (< 1%) is seen by lightroom as duplicate, but all files are unique. When I then right-click on the imported folder in Lightroom, choose "Synchronise Folder", uncheck the "do not import duplicate files" checkbox, those couple of remaining files are perfectly imported.

I'm confused :-X What's happening here?

May 11, 2017
niels123 said:
Something strange is happening here: I shot multiple focus stacks in arw format with a sony a6300 (on silent shot mode) . I shot tethered so files end up directly on my harddisk.

When I try to import them (by clicking import and selecting the correct folder), a small number of files (< 1%) is seen by lightroom as duplicate, but all files are unique. When I then right-click on the imported folder in Lightroom, choose "Synchronise Folder", uncheck the "do not import duplicate files" checkbox, those couple of remaining files are perfectly imported.

I'm confused :-X What's happening here?

Can you tell whether any files are being overwritten when the supposedly duplicate files are imported?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You possibly already have files with the same number imported into lightroom. Do a search for one of the files that shows as duplicated. It does not matter where a file resides, hard drive, memory stick, external drive, whatever, Lightroom only allows for one instance of a file number. You could also try renaming the files and see if they import.

I always rename files as they import to Lightroom, or the duplicate number feature eventually catches up with me.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I suspect the above comments are correct. When I started in digital, and using LR for cataloging I found that after 10,000 shots with the same camera, the camera numbered from '0001' again and marked as duplicates those whose number matched a photo (ones I had deleted did not show up as duplicates of course.

This is why I set my import rules as [date]-number so the combination of data and camera-applied number was always unique.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
I suspect the above comments are correct. When I started in digital, and using LR for cataloging I found that after 10,000 shots with the same camera, the camera numbered from '0001' again and marked as duplicates those whose number matched a photo (ones I had deleted did not show up as duplicates of course.

This is why I set my import rules as [date]-number so the combination of data and camera-applied number was always unique.

It's even worse when you're using multiple cameras with the same type of naming systems....I must always rename upon import. It's become second nature now to do so.

What works best for me is a import preset [date]-[text]-[sequence#], all I do is just type in a name the text area and LR or On1 does the rest; I've never had a duplicate file issue using this method.

Upvote 0