M50 compared to 80D

I currently have an 80D and a 6D M2. I am considering selling the 80D and replacing it with an M50 and interested in pros/cons of this swap. The ergonomics are different, but that's the point, swapping ergonomics for weight savings. They share the same/very similar (?) sensor. Are there any differences in IQ, AF, etc.

Most likely would purchase 15-45 lens, m55-200 lens and adapter. Primary uses are landscape/cityscape, family events, children's sports.

Thanks

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
From what I've heard, I'd skip the 15-45mm kit lens. If you are near a camera store, check out a RP. its very small, will use your lenses and the FF image will have much less noise.

I would not want to get into having two sets of lenses just to have a small body.
The 15-45mm is actually a good little lens. It got bad press for having a plastic mount. Mine is just as sharp as my 11-22 and 18-55 where they overlap, and opticallimits is not at odds with this. The digital pictures copy is softer, but all of these lenses have copy variation. The 15-45 is a newer generation lens that has more functionality than the 18-55.

Upvote 0
From what I've heard, I'd skip the 15-45mm kit lens. If you are near a camera store, check out a RP. its very small, will use your lenses and the FF image will have much less noise.

I would not want to get into having two sets of lenses just to have a small body.

Thanks. I'll take a 2nd look at the RP. Right now the RP with adapter is about $250 more than the M50 with adapter, 15-45 and 55-200 lens. Close enough in pricing. Haven't been able to physically hold an RP but will take a closer look at the weight and size savings.

Upvote 0

Adrianf

Now an R5 owner and fan
Jul 7, 2015
I have an M50 with the kit lens. It's not bad and very lightweight. I also have the efs 55-250 which I use with the ef adapter. It makes a superb combo, and weighs bugger all. I'm staying away from the efm lenses. They don't look good to me. There's also the speed booster which turns my 50 F1.8 into a 35mm F1.2 equivalent, which is interesting!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have an M50 with the kit lens. It's not bad and very lightweight. I also have the efs 55-250 which I use with the ef adapter. It makes a superb combo, and weighs bugger all. I'm staying away from the efm lenses. They don't look good to me. There's also the speed booster which turns my 50 F1.8 into a 35mm F1.2 equivalent, which is interesting!
The 55-250mm STM is a much better lens than the efm 55-200mm and works superbly on the M5 as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestions. I decided to go with the M50 and EFM15-45. I took a long look at the RP, it's benefits are compelling. But, since this is a 2nd camera decided to prioritize on weight. The RP + adapter + most used lens(EF24-70 F/4L IS is only 4.5 oz. lighter than the 80D with same lens. (42.5 vs 47 oz) The M50 + EFM15-45 is only 18.5oz.

I'm an enthusiast (and retired) so some of the finer points that pros appreciate aren't as important to me. I have a trip planned in early May (during new moon) to Big Bend National Park. Will focus and landscape and Milky Way photos. The 6D M2 will be used with the EF 24-70 F4L IS and the Rokinon 14 2.4, mostly on a tripod. the M50 will be used for more casual and opportunistic photos.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Thanks for your suggestions. I decided to go with the M50 and EFM15-45. I took a long look at the RP, it's benefits are compelling. But, since this is a 2nd camera decided to prioritize on weight. The RP + adapter + most used lens(EF24-70 F/4L IS is only 4.5 oz. lighter than the 80D with same lens. (42.5 vs 47 oz) The M50 + EFM15-45 is only 18.5oz.

I'm an enthusiast (and retired) so some of the finer points that pros appreciate aren't as important to me. I have a trip planned in early May (during new moon) to Big Bend National Park. Will focus and landscape and Milky Way photos. The 6D M2 will be used with the EF 24-70 F4L IS and the Rokinon 14 2.4, mostly on a tripod. the M50 will be used for more casual and opportunistic photos.
Since you are going out after Milky Way pictures, take a peek at this.

It allows you to track the night skies, and this lets you take long exposures without having the points turn into lines.

I think your choice of an M50 is great for casual photos. You can tuck it into a coat pocket and always have it around. Plus, if you are doing time exposures on the 6D2, you can shoot with the M50 while you are waiting.....

Upvote 0
Since you are going out after Milky Way pictures, take a peek at this.

It allows you to track the night skies, and this lets you take long exposures without having the points turn into lines.
Interesting product, will add to my wish list. Reading this forum is a quick way to spend money:)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

You might want to consider the EF-M 18-150mm, it's a very nice lens with a good range in a small package.

Upvote 0