MacBook Pro : Best RAW Processing Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I operate the OSX System, have used Lightroom since it first started, currently use Lightroom 4, waiting for LR5 (Beta now out)

Lightroom: for filing all my Photos, basic changes such as White Balance Adjustment (I shoot RAW), any cropping needed. Only drawback no Layers.
Photoshop CS6: After LR4 adjustments, I move to CS6 for any thing I plan to do that requires Layers adjustments.
On One: Now do about 70% with this software that I once used Photoshop for, more intuitive & much easier to use than Photoshop, very good "Brush" technology, but doesn't do everything Photoshop does.
NIK Viveza 2: Use this for very localised adjustments, but less so now with the advent of On One.
NIK's Silver Effex pro 2: Best B&W software available.

Upvote 0
I use DPP for my RAW conversions. Yes, its user interface feels clunky and cumbersome but the possibilities to correct aberrations (lens specific profiles), sharpen and optimize your files before producing a TIFF or JPEG (or whatever format you prefer) are rather good. For my eye, DPP delivers the best output files. As you can't apply corrections like noise reduction only to specific parts of the picture, you might want to a) be careful with the NR and sharpening sliders and b) use some other app for the finer touches – I use PS6 with NIK software mainly for NR and sharpening the final output files.
For all of this you could use LR or Aperture or DXO or Capture One which all do a good job – in the end it comes down to user preference. One important thing DPP is lacking is the possibility to add keywords/tags and manage the files. LR, Aperture and all the other apps do this.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I use DPP and PS CS 5.1. I have to upgrade to 10.8 from 10.7. When I've done that I will upgrade to PS CS 6. Every new
version of ACR that comes out has better raw processing. I've been using the Detail Tab to eliminate noise in my Pics.
You might want to check out Elements 11. For around $100.00 it comes with the latest version of ACR. Adobe will let you do an upsell to the full version of Photoshop. It is not cheap. It is up to you as to what version you want. Elements or the full version of Photoshop. Some Photographers use Lightroom and then finish up in Photoshop for the final image.
You could do a search: Photoshop Elements vs Photoshop CS. Or vs Lightroom to see what others think is best. DPP has
some good points to it and Canon is making it better over time. I use it to process raw pics so I can convert them to Tiff
and jpeg. I then send the jpegs by email to friends. Macs email will let to choose how large you want the attachment to be. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
DanThePhotoMan said:
I have both LR4 and PS6, and I enjoy using ACR7 for PS much more. I know people who feel much differently, but I believe it gives better control over an image. Granted, that's probably because I have barely used LR at all, but ACR7 has never done me wrong and produced some fantastic results.

+1 here on a PC but when I switch to Mac later this year, I'll stick with LR and PS.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.