macOS Catalina breaks some Adobe (older) applications

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the warning. Several apps have been flashing that they won't work with the next Mac OS so I'll stick with Mojave for the time being.

Reactions: Jethro

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
There has been a pattern for like 40 years of updated Mac OS breaking older software. I think it involves their approach to adding new features. I understand breaking software that makes use of undocumented features in software, that used to be common with Windows. It actually amazes me as to how much of my old software still works with Windows 10, even though Adobe doesn't. Lots of my old 1980's DOS software doesn't work any longer, there has been too many hardware changes. I keep a old pc that runs DOS for cases where I actually need to run some old stuff.

Antono Refa

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 26, 2014
I have Paint Shop Pro 5 beta released in '98. Installs and runs on MS Windows 10 with no problems. Just a matter of MS understanding how important backward compatibility is to users better than Apple.

[Yes, I know this is an extreme example. Windows doesn't support such old versions of Office, Nero, etc.]

Jethro

EOS R
Jul 14, 2018
I only did an Adobe CC update a couple of weeks ago - obviously they weren't taking into account the Catalina beta??