Macro Lighting/Flash on Kickstarter? Opinions? Alternatives?

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all,

I found this interesting Kickstarter Campaign:

Adaptalux Flash Arms

It appears to be an addition to something they introduced a couple years or so ago o KS.

This latest is for a flexible flash attachment that is controlled with an IR module, that can be on camera or off camera and used best for macro photography.

They also have other constant light offerings with different colored LED lights, a red laser and what really caught my eye...UV lighting for macro.

Is anyone else familiar with this? If so, what are you opinions and do you have any other macro lighting you'd recommend?

This looks pretty handy and appears somewhat well made.....I'm looking to experiment with macro in the coming months, and looking into some of the specialized lighting needs for it.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

jprusa

EOS RP
Apr 29, 2013
Hi Cayenne
I am pleased with my lights and have used UV the most so far, although I think it would be easier to convert an off camera flash ton UV. You don't have to worry about bending arms and with a flash , although Adaptalux give you more flexibility with a variety of colored lights.

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
For the next spring my goal is to capture more Bee-In-Flight type of picture, especially of solitary bees emerging from their burrows. To get a fast cycle speed the flashes need to be close to the subject, so I was planning on getting a joby rig upgrade to mount 2 flashes off camera for regular pictures or 2 video lights for the RAW burst feature in my M6II.

This new Adaptalux system seems to have all that integrated, so it's very tempting to get that instead. But it'll have to wait till next spring, the M6II drained my toy budget for 2019 :)

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
For the next spring my goal is to capture more Bee-In-Flight type of picture, especially of solitary bees emerging from their burrows. To get a fast cycle speed the flashes need to be close to the subject, so I was planning on getting a joby rig upgrade to mount 2 flashes off camera for regular pictures or 2 video lights for the RAW burst feature in my M6II.

This new Adaptalux system seems to have all that integrated, so it's very tempting to get that instead. But it'll have to wait till next spring, the M6II drained my toy budget for 2019 :)
The Joby looks interesting.

I kinda like that the Adaptalux thing, will sit on your camera AND can be removed to set up on your 'set' too if need be...seems very flexible in that way.

I"ve ordered the one on KS with the 2x new flash attachments, the control module, the IR unit and the 2x LED arms...that should get me going awhile.

On the LED arms, I spoke with the company asking if it was only LEDs or if I could get the UV or other specialty arms, they said they'd work with me that it might be a little extra to upgrade the arms, but thought I'd get the UV ones to play with.....since they're kind of unusual in that regard.

C