Macro Tilt-Shift on the Way? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that one of the upcoming tilt-shift lenses will actually be a macro lens. We’ve been told in the past that Canon would add a new type of macro to the lineup and this is the first we’ve heard of it being a tilt-shift.</p>
<p>We do expect L replacements to the TS-E 45 and TS-E 90 to come eventually, as people have been asking since the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 were announced years ago.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that one of the upcoming tilt-shift lenses will actually be a macro lens. We’ve been told in the past that Canon would add a new type of macro to the lineup and this is the first we’ve heard of it being a tilt-shift.</p>
<p>We do expect L replacements to the TS-E 45 and TS-E 90 to come eventually, as people have been asking since the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 were announced years ago.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

It better have two card slots.

Upvote 0
The Flasher said:
Canon Rumors said:
<p>More to come…</p>

It better have two card slots.

LoL

That's what we need! SD slots in the lens! Brilliant! With the longer lenses we could have banks of card slots.

Future generations will scoff at us poor photographers who only carried 2 cards. In the year 2100 all pros will have camera systems with 10 cards... just in case 9 of them fail.... .... ;D

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
I enjoy macro but I have no experience with tilt/shift. How will tilt/shift improve macro shots?

Simply put a tilt-shift lens by tilting can alter the plane of focus. This can help with the extreme shallow DoF of many macro shots.

If you want to impress people you can casually drop the phrase Scheimpflug principle, which if you look that up explains how tilting a lens can change the plane of focus.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
chrysoberyl said:
I enjoy macro but I have no experience with tilt/shift. How will tilt/shift improve macro shots?
The tilt part will allow you to change the plane of focus from parallel to the sensor to other angles. This is of advantage if you are photographing a relatively flat object from off-angle, this can help you get more of the object in focus.

Shift is mainly for changing perspective, much like cropping in to the side of a wide angle shot. At longer focal lengths such as 90mm the effect is less pronounced than with a lens such as the 17 TS-E

Upvote 0
rs said:
chrysoberyl said:
The tilt part will allow you to change the plane of focus from parallel to the sensor to other angles. This is of advantage if you are photographing a relatively flat object from off-angle, this can help you get more of the object in focus.

Shift is mainly for changing perspective, much like cropping in to the side of a wide angle shot. At longer focal lengths such as 90mm the effect is less pronounced than with a lens such as the 17 TS-E
rs said:
chrysoberyl said:

Thank you, now I am convinced. I photo wildflowers and sometimes it is hard to get the DOF I want.

Upvote 0
Some time ago, you folks at canonrumors posted a patent for a 135 tilt-shift macro, so perhaps that is what this will be.

As one expert user noted, the deep box that the sensor resides limits the amount of tilt shift available without clipping the edges of the frame, apparently especially in close up mode.

I'd be thrilled if they could pull this off!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AcutancePhotography said:
If you want to impress people you can casually drop the phrase Scheimpflug principle, which if you look that up explains how tilting a lens can change the plane of focus.

If you go beyond just dropping the phrase, you find that more tilt is generally required with closer subjects and that more tilt is generally required with longer focal lengths. That has some obvious implications for using tilt with a macro telephoto lens. Somehow I doubt Canon will solve this with a view camera back, which may be the only way to achieve the required degree of tilt.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AcutancePhotography said:

If you go beyond just dropping the phrase, you find that more tilt is generally required with closer subjects and that more tilt is generally required with longer focal lengths. That has some obvious implications for using tilt with a macro telephoto lens. Somehow I doubt Canon will solve this with a view camera back, which may be the only way to achieve the required degree of tilt.

That's a good point. The formulas only can go so far. :)

Upvote 0