Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

It would fit with Canon’s recent history and is sensible in terms of manufacturing costs. As you said the 5DS was essentially in a 5D3 body (with I believe beefed up mirror damping and tripod plate and a few improved materials like the mode dial).

However that was the third generation of 5D that had been constantly refined.

The R isn’t quite like that being 1st gen. I bought it, it’s actually very nice, the ergonomics are much better than they look. It’s much nicer to handle than any of the Sony’s for example. But certain things like the af-on button position slightly too far to the side and lack of joystick and the mode dial’s situation aren’t ideal. The controversial touch pad is something I’ve come to like - I think in time such ultra customisable buttons will become quite common, allowing clicks and swipes and perhaps other gestures so I hope canon keeps going with it. You can see similar tech in the af-on button of the 1dxiii.

Of course canon could improve those things and keep the base the same shape so the grips could be swapped.

It’s exiting to think what is coming really. Given the amazing lenses we have so far in RF mount it’s a fair bet we will get some great cameras.
I agree Canon cameras will get better. But remember Canon has always been known for its glass. How long has the EF lenses been around now? IMHO Canon's glass has always outperformed their bodies. I won't be surprised if Canon is always going to be in third place in sensor performance next to Sony and Nikon, (Sony's older brother.Lol) But my question is dose it even matter once you factor in Canon's optics, ease-of-use and overall system. We've gotten to a point where specs are just numbers on a piece of paper. In real world applications does it really matter?

Upvote 0
There was a migration from Canon to Sony for those who thought Sony was the best. While their sensors are excellent, I never liked the feel of their camera bodies I am a stayer as far as Canon goes for many reasons and probably why many pros stay with them.

Now, in 2020, many of the Sony people will likely move back to Canon with these true high end pro R mirrorless bodies with likely IBIS and new sensors on top of their already stellar and growing RF lenses.

That said though, even the best camera and sensor will only go so far in getting that great shot. That still lies in the mind and capabilities of the photographer.
I'd love to switch back to Canon from Sony but Canon has yet to offer a body that I would be interested in performance wise. We'll see what the proposed new R releases turn out to be but so fare it appears, (going on the current rumors) that the high megapixel model would be overkill and slow fps wise, (coming from a Sony a7rIII) and the R mark II to low in resolution. I'm sure I could live with a 32 megapixel camera but it's hard to get excited about especially considering the price Canon will be asking

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I agree Canon cameras will get better. But remember Canon has always been known for its glass. How long has the EF lenses been around now? IMHO Canon's glass has always outperformed their bodies. I won't be surprised if Canon is always going to be in third place in sensor performance next to Sony and Nikon, (Sony's older brother.Lol) But my question is dose it even matter once you factor in Canon's optics, ease-of-use and overall system. We've gotten to a point where specs are just numbers on a piece of paper. In real world applications does it really matter?

Indeed - and has always been like that. The first EF 300 2.8L they brought out in the 80s blew away the Nikons of the time - but it came out before Canon had a pro EF camera.

Long term canon is right to concentrate on glass. And as the tech matures I think camera spec differences will mean less and less. Perhaps in a few years the Sony and Nikon might have 100 mp and 35fps while canon “only” has 80mp and 25fps! But canon will have exquisitely engineered L lenses, made in Japan, repairable, reliable and with the best optics. For me that’s a much better place to spend money.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It was released. It's called the 1DX mk iii. A workhorse so durable that I don't think Sony has anything comparable to. Although, even the pro grade construction of the 1DX mk ii we much better too for actual total build. The 1DX mk iii has reams of features I'd never need, but it's understandable why so many photographers stick with the 1DX line. The weight is reasonable too. I've heard some make rediculous comments like "arms falling off" at the end of the day, but I use a chainsaw often, and the 1DX bodies are "light as a feather" by comparison.

This woman seems to have no problem using a 1DX mk iii in the field.

Ok take this with a grain of salt, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I didn't play the video but from the thumbnail is she shooting from the ground because of the weight of the camera or is bc the 1DXIII doesn't have an articulating screen? Lol

Upvote 0
Indeed - and has always been like that. The first EF 300 2.8L they brought out in the 80s blew away the Nikons of the time - but it came out before Canon had a pro EF camera.

Long term canon is right to concentrate on glass. And as the tech matures I think camera spec differences will mean less and less. Perhaps in a few years the Sony and Nikon might have 100 mp and 35fps while canon “only” has 80mp and 25fps! But canon will have exquisitely engineered L lenses, made in Japan, repairable, reliable and with the best optics. For me that’s a much better place to spend money.
I wholeheartedly agree

Upvote 0
What a silly fanboy comment. Canon certainly need to bring out a decent camera to match the high quality, expensive lenses they have. One thing is for sure, Canon need to get their pricing right. The EOS R is currently (here in the UK) £395 more expensive than the A7III, which has had a price drop (and there’s a cashback offer until the end of this month) and offers less for your money (also including lens choices). The A7RIV competitor needs to be better than it in terms of specs plus should be around the same price. If they release another camera that offers less for more money, Canon will surely lose out on vital sales. As it is, the current lens lineup, limited to expensive L lenses will put plenty off for now. Let’s hope they deliver a decent camera, at least. We can all speculate but only time will tell though.
You know Canon will always ask for top dollar especially when a new camera is released. Here in the States the a7rIV is listed at $3498.00 (USD). I easily see Canon listing their high megapixel R model for at least $300.00 (USD) over the a7rIV. That's just the Canon way.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten so excited by a CR2 before.
A lower MP sensor that would be video focused like a whole lot of folks have been hoping for would be outstanding. Give us full frame without binning and crazy stupid ISO performance like an A7S and people will chuck those Sony things out like dirty diapers. Give us the video function of a 1DX3 in a video centric RF body, please. Would be awesome. And with a lower MP sensor (assuming 12 like the A7s) the Digic X could be quite potent in video mode.

Upvote 0
I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten so excited by a CR2 before.
A lower MP sensor that would be video focused like a whole lot of folks have been hoping for would be outstanding. Give us full frame without binning and crazy stupid ISO performance like an A7S and people will chuck those Sony things out like dirty diapers. Give us the video function of a 1DX3 in a video centric RF body, please. Would be awesome. And with a lower MP sensor (assuming 12 like the A7s) the Digic X could be quite potent in video mode.

I thought about this .. is it really going to be that much better than oversampling from 20MP or 24MP?

versus taking a low MP sensor?

I would assume you would want to oversample - since that, with clever algorithms can reduce noise even further.

I could see it when you couldn't oversample because of feasbility - sure low MP is fine, but since Canon has already shown they can, why would you want this?

versus something like the 20MP 1DX sensor that can output nearly 6K RAW for you to post process down to 4K to your hearts content?

Upvote 0
Seriously?
I've not seen anything from Canon to suggest anything other than they want people to buy RF lenses and if not, then an adapter per EF lens owned ;-)

They may not say it, but I'd be very surprised if anything new is coming in EF mount other than a few last-gasp updates for a few DSLR lines.

Sure, you -could- make an EF mount mirrorless, but why? It's a tad like me wanting a full frame digital version of my OM4 to go with my old Zuiko lenses... ;-)
That depends on your needs. I'm using an old Canon EF 24-70 USM mark I lens on a Sony a7rIII and as fare as I'm concerned it's not replaceable. I use to own the mark II version of this same lens, (which I purchased new) and sold it for a used mark I. It's a sharp lens, but more importantly for me is the 8-blade aperture design which gives nice clean 8-point light stars for night cityscape photography. The EF mark II or the RF of this lens thou technically sharper are both a 9-blade design which produces 18-point light stars which can get a little busy for my taste. So new or old doesn't deem the quality of a lens your specific purpose does.

Upvote 0
i disagree
I get the sense canon just didn’t have the technology to release the new cameras before now
They were behind on camera tech but as always, ahead and ready with lenses

this wasn’t strategy per se
They just went with what they had ready

Upvote 0
Sony are just not professional cameras, they cause too many problems and are too fussy in use and handling, the sensors are great and can produce great pictures it just does not flow, they rely on the hype of influencers who look at pixels so they are popular
I agee. It has amused me how you tubber reviewers always seem to give Sony a pass on their build quality. Like the Alpha Series of cameras was Sony's first attempt at bringing a camera to market. Sony has been manufacturing cameras sense the late 80's! I figure it's 1 of 2 things. First Sony's manufacturing was usually geared towards a non-pro consumers market. I've never herd of a 'Pro' CD or DVD player user or a 'Pro' flat screen tv watcher. Second, Sony was fully aware that their designs were not up to par but just sat back bc every electronic geek who most don't even use a camera professionally where ranting and raving over just the tech aspect alone. Sales took off so why bother. Sony knows tech will always get better but are also fully aware that you can cross a point where it's not as relevant anymore. So they use these 'build' improvements with each new release as an upgrade, (a7rIII perfect example). Upgrades that Canon and Nikon have had for years if not decades. Sony is no stranger to the marketing dance and in my opinion they are playing the people like a fiddle.

Upvote 0
I worked for Canon recently. Always think in terms of what will serve the largest market. Personally I think one of these 2 will serve as a 5D Mk IV replacement and signal the commitment towards mirrorless to match the EF lense announcement. Personally (and as a 5D4 owner) is be happy with the same 30MP I already have with improved performance. I’d want the EOS R body with the new selector from the 1DX3 replacing that Touch Bar, full frame 4K and 10fps and I’d be thrilled.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I thought about this .. is it really going to be that much better than oversampling from 20MP or 24MP?
versus taking a low MP sensor?

Faster readout and less data to process with a lower MP sensor.
I'm not a videoexpert, but among advantages I believe it means better control of horizontal lines when panning (I forgot the term used for those non-horizontal lines?). And easier/possible to make fullframe 60Hz (or higher) 4K.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love my 5D4 but I also got an R system mainly due to 15-35 2.8L IS and 24-70 2.8L IS. Now I am torn between. I guess for excursions (with no car) with one medium bag the solution is to put an R with 24-105 in addition to a medium white tele zoom (100-400 or 400 DOII) with 5DsR. The 2 camera/2 lenses combinations fit in a reasonable portable bag. Now if traveling with car I can put 2 bags so no problem...

For travelling abroad it is EOS R with RF15-35 and RF24-70 (I like museum and church interiors)

By the way I found 2 Canon DSLRs with the same Battery pack: 5DMkIII and 5DsR. So I got a cheap MEIKE battery pack (which I haven't used yet) for my 5DsR. In general I am not very fond of battery packs due to the size. Also I put (Arca Swiss compatible) camera plates on my cameras which is no go for battery packs.

But, having an R and 5DIV as a backup will not work as a backup situation, at least not with the RF lens. What do you do, when your R breaks for some reason? You can't use your new RF lens on your 5DIV. I know that such situation is theoretical, but that's what 2 card slots and/or backup cameras are for anyway (meaning we did not face any failuers in that regards yet).

Upvote 0
Hmm, there is a new Twitter post stating, that IBIS is not going to be available on all 2020 R camera bodies. That would be weird. IBIS + new AF-ON button should become a common standard from now on. They are going to be smashed badly for that, as even Canon users are expecting IBIS nowadays.

Upvote 0