Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Nobody is gonna be walking all around Tokyo with a 1DXIII. Ya gotta be kidding me if you believe that.
First of all, you don't have to spam post. You can edit your posts if you want to append something after you made it. And you can quote multiple posts by simply clicking reply in each of them.

And then, what even is your point? That people who go to Tokyo will need a second camera if they want to explore the location? Sure enough you won't do much with just a 1D X series and a super Tele.

But the first new RF camera is likely to be the high resolution one (between 70 and 90 MP) and apparently we're getting a second one in May which originally was rumored to be the replacement for the R but now seems to be some specialized model, focused maybe on pure shooting speed and video thanks to a lower res sensor. Those use cases still don't sound like they are that relevant to the Olympics Specifically.

Upvote 0
"Another source has said it won’t be the EOS R Mark II in the first half, but a lower megapixel body to “rival the A7 S line”."

If this is true, I'll have to drain a bit my bank account. I'd LOVE to have a low MP low light beast from Canon. They should also make the high MP fans happy, of course, but hello, Canon, there are also people like me waiting for a new low-light wonder from your brand!

Depends upon what "low" means in Canon's book. I would find 12 mpx a bit too much limited. What about 18-20? But that would be mostly in the 1DX III ballpark, so most probably not a high ISO "beast" ...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Perhaps in a few years the Sony and Nikon might have 100 mp and 35fps while canon “only” has 80mp and 25fps! ...
Looks like you entered photography after 2010. In the decade before, Canon was leading the pixel race, and the 5D II was the first FF camera with HD video, which was a game changer in video business. Nikon particularly was in trouble. Canon advanced CMOS sensor tech when all other manufacturers preferred CCD, because CMOS was said to be too noisy - but in the end it opened up leading video capabilities for Canon back then. Unfortunately, after 2010, Canon really slowed down sitting on their laurels and let Sony pull ahead. Btw this typical for electronics industry, Sony had the better CMOS technology because they invested later in their production lines. I just mention this because such an oscillation between being very innovative and very conservative in the camera sector is quite typical for Canon's history. So let's see what future will bring.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Depends upon what "low" means in Canon's book. I would find 12 mpx a bit too much limited. What about 18-20? But that would be mostly in the 1DX III ballpark, so most probably not a high ISO "beast" ...
Higher resolutions don't correspond to significant impacts on low light performance though.

A lower resolution sensor will most likely allow very quick read out, meaning very little rolling shutter and maybe even suitable performance for electronic shutter to be used for stills of moving subjects. If the latter is the case, we could see FPS around 30 (The M6 II does 18 MP 12 Bit 30 FPS with e-Shutter). But that sounds like a sports oriented model... Weird rumors.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Well, 12 MP can deliver stunningly detailed results even with A3 prints. I know that because my wife still uses 12 MP Nikons (D300S and D700), and you could easily sell her prints to anybody as the result of a 40 MP camera. But 12 MP might be hard to sell today, that's why Sony never came out with an updated "S" until now. High MP count is totally overrated for 35mm format cameras, but people want it. And then they feed mostly Instagram and produce a lot of CO2 and heat, because the processors of their computers have to process and convert those monster pixel images into smaller sizes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
But, having an R and 5DIV as a backup will not work as a backup situation, at least not with the RF lens. What do you do, when your R breaks for some reason? You can't use your new RF lens on your 5DIV. I know that such situation is theoretical, but that's what 2 card slots and/or backup cameras are for anyway (meaning we did not face any failuers in that regards yet).
I am not a pro so no worries. Also, I was not talking about backup but more about best camera for the case. When visiting abroad museums I have to carry a small bag to be allowed in so I carry one camera anyway. The only difference is the use of one slot which will be new to me after a long time. But I carry a portable card copier with me. It doesn't solve a card failure issue but frequent backups somehow make up for a part of it. But the key word is not a pro. When I go for birding and have a car so a lot of space I get 2 DSLRs with me.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
A7III = 24 megapixels = less for less money. There are always trade offs. I happily take the slower frame rate, better skin tones, and more megapixels over what Sony offers for the price difference... not to mention menus, ergonomics, and glass.

You sure do mention Sony an awful lot in your posts. Hmmmm...
I own an A7III. Not a fanboy as I have no brand loyalty. Mainly bought one because of the excellent Voigtlander lenses. I am really hoping Canon do bring out some quality cameras this year as competition is good for us end users. I don’t use Canon FF mirrorless because it’s still relatively new and doesn’t offer anything for my needs yet, especially native lens choices. If people prefer the R over A7III then there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just people’s personal choice. I do read this site from time to time as I’m interested what camera tech Canon may be bringing out. FYI, Sony get mentioned an awful lot on these forums, often very negatively. I just happened to respond to a few recently. I usually don’t do much posting here but the talk has been about new Canon cameras which is exciting.

Upvote 0
Sure they do. Its marketing. The Summer Olympics is THE marketing showcase for cameras. Always has been. Much respect for Photokina but its not even in the league as the Summer Olympics

The Olympics has always been a high end showcase of Canon / Nikon technology and corresponding NPS and CPS programs.

That's what every press release, every during the event articles from Canon / Nikon have been about. It hasn't been about the 5D line or the 6D line - it's the top flagships.

It's maybe not what people carry around - but it's the showcase.

Canon has 3 major events this year - it's a once in a 4 year marketing year for Canon - so while they are going to go all in for the Olympics for the 1 series, as they have with the 1DX Mark III, you can bet that they will fill CP+, PhotoKina and Canon Expo with the best they can.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Crop sensor = 22.30mm X 14.90mm = 332mm ²
FF sensor = 35.8mm x 23.9mm = 856 mm²

856/332 = 2.58

32 X 2.58 = 82.56

A FF sensor with the same pixel size/density as a 32mp crop sensor would be 82.56mp.

Thank you.
Then make a FF camera with a 82 mp sensor for scenery and then a crop mode at 32 mp at 12 fps for birders. :) :) :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Every day is today.
CanonRumors guy knows how to fuel our interest.
The only reliable rumors are the ones a week before the announcements.

Everything else is click bait (more or less). But, there are many members who contribute really useful technical information/expertise and/or pictures and this is the reason I like this forum.

Upvote 0
Crop sensor = 22.30mm X 14.90mm = 332mm ²
FF sensor = 35.8mm x 23.9mm = 856 mm²

856/332 = 2.58

32 X 2.58 = 82.56

A FF sensor with the same pixel size/density as a 32mp crop sensor would be 82.56mp.

while in essence that's correct. it's a little hard to scale in actuality. As far as we know anyways, Canon's APS-C sensors are done on a 4 metal (copper being the forth) 180nm process. while the full frame sensors are done on 300nm. Yes, Canon has had copper in their APS-C sensors for almost as long as Sony has. One of the reasons, Canon has essentially caught up to Sony in terms of DR,etc.

So simply scaling is a little more problematic unless canon is now using 180nm process and line for full frame sensors, with they haven't in the past. There may be issues with producing larger sensors on that line. That line was originally geared to powershot small sensors - so who knows what limitations it has.

Upvote 0