Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think everyone needs to realize that Canon and Sony both make excellent equipment for photography. I have used Canon 1Dx Mk2 with their 400 mm f2.8 III lenses as well as Sony A9 II with a vertical grip along with their 400 mm f2.8 lens. Both take excellent pictures and for me both balance well in the hand. Without a vertical grip the Sony alpha cameras are uncomfortable for me to use, but adding the vertical grip solves that issue at least for me. Personally, I like the fact that the a9II with vertical grip weighs 1+ lb less than 1Dx Mk2. At least for me as I get older any loss of mass is appreciated.

If you've used the 1D X Mark II so much, why haven't you noticed it's the 1D X Mark II, not the 1Dx Mark II? Dx is a Nikon thing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Anyone want to speculate whether or not the new R bodies will use the BG-E22 grip, or a new grip model? I've gotten to the point of wanting a grip, but reluctant to order from the USA at $250 (order from USA because it's $600 in Canada), only to have it worth less than $100 when the R is replaced in the lineup later this year maybe.

If Canon follows form, it will be different. I've had good luck with quality third party grips like Vello via B&H. In fact, the most recent issue I've had with a grip was the Canon BG-E20 included as a promotional item with my 5D Mark IV.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Canon always (I believe) bring out a new grip for each body, it is a sure fire money maker for them so why would they change that?

In the 5/7 series they tend to do that. In the x0D and xx0D series they've tended to reuse the grip for a couple of models before moving on.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
these cameras have zero to do with the olympics. Canon will do an announcement in May for PhotoKina.

The main Olympic camera is already released and Canon will be pumping that camera a ton during the Olympics.

The main Olympic camera has been announced. It will be released in February 2020.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If Canon follows form, it will be different. I've had good luck with quality third party grips like Vello via B&H. In fact, the most recent issue I've had with a grip was the Canon BG-E20 included as a promotional item with my 5D Mark IV.
Does third party grip for the R exist? I haven’t found one.

Upvote 0
I'd like Ferrari to release a competitor to the Toyota Camry, too. Priced like the Camry with performance like the 488.

Just because I want that doesn't mean it's going to happen, though.

If you don't mind my asking, what gave you the impression I thought Canon's hypothetical video-oriented camera would be released at a budget price point? I would fully expect it to be priced between $3,499 and $3,999 if it had the specs I was hoping for.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If you don't mind my asking, what gave you the impression I thought Canon's hypothetical video-oriented camera would be released at a budget price point? I would fully expect it to be priced between $3,499 and $3,999 if it had the specs I was hoping for.

Because the Sony α7 S it's reportedly directly aimed at is a sub $2,000 model?

Upvote 0
Because the Sony α7 S it's reportedly directly aimed at is a sub $2,000 model?
Yes, the a7S II is presently on sale for $1,999 after over four years in the market. It launched at $2,999. The successive a7S III will likely launch at the same price or more - it now has to compete with the Panasonic S1H. Canon's variant will need to pack an equal amount of features to these two cameras if it's going to compete in the same market space. That won't come cheap.

Upvote 0