Making of a Leica M9-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
hpmuc said:
Nah, sorry. That doesn't impress me. I expected the making of the Leica, not some exterior leather work. I would take an M9-P even it was wrapped in newspaper because it is a great camera but certainly not because of the bag it is in.
The type of people that drop $25K or 50K on one want a status symbol, and that bag is part of it.
I sold my Hasselblad last year on ebay, and the original leather Hasselblad case went for as much as the camera body.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
hpmuc said:
Nah, sorry. That doesn't impress me. I expected the making of the Leica, not some exterior leather work. I would take an M9-P even it was wrapped in newspaper because it is a great camera but certainly not because of the bag it is in.
The type of people that drop $25K or 50K on one want a status symbol, and that bag is part of it.
I sold my Hasselblad last year on ebay, and the original leather Hasselblad case went for as much as the camera body.

I'm not an aesthete, apart from having the view that form should follow function. From a purist technical point of view, the Hermes bag adds little value, and most probably LowePro would be able to provide something more functional. I have to admit, I see this as purely cashing in on the luxury goods market, in the same way that Mont Blanc has, rather than in providing a technically superior product which meets a specific functional requirement.

(Not that there is anything ethically wrong with tapping into the luxury goods/services market ... isn't that what many portrait photographers do?)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
gmrza said:
I'm not an aesthete, apart from having the view that form should follow function. From a purist technical point of view, the Hermes bag adds little value, and most probably LowePro would be able to provide something more functional. I have to admit, I see this as purely cashing in on the luxury goods market, in the same way that Mont Blanc has, rather than in providing a technically superior product which meets a specific functional requirement.

(Not that there is anything ethically wrong with tapping into the luxury goods/services market ... isn't that what many portrait photographers do?)

Being a technical person, I don't purchase gear just for the big name or for status, but for function and value or suitability for the job, but some see it as a ultimate status symbol to show off that they can afford one, I guess.

Upvote 0
yes,, i see there are details,, craftmanship... etc.... TO ME: (I take it like a piece of $H~t).. a mass manufactured camera that reliable, excel in IQ and functionality is all it matter. However this leica probably isnt aimed to use to take photos, but have it in museum cases.
anyway, Bottom line is: i would rather have 5d3 (1dx is 2x value of that m9p to me)..

Upvote 0

dryanparker

Art photographer based in Miami.
Oct 9, 2011
Coconut Grove, FL
www.dryanparker.com
RLPhoto said:
25,000$ - 1 Leica M9-P hermes edition

or

4x Canon 1Dx's 8)

Let's not miss the point here.

Those who are interested in this amazing camera can pretty well afford it. That includes 4x 1D-X and every lens Canon makes...in addition to the Leica. It's not about functionality, IQ or ISO performance.

This is about appreciating the craftsmanship of something extraordinary and having the means to enjoy it. A classic Ferrari, a Patek Philippe timepiece, a Leica limited release. It's not about the cost; it's about living life in a fulfilling way...whatever that means to you.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dryanparker said:
RLPhoto said:
25,000$ - 1 Leica M9-P hermes edition

or

4x Canon 1Dx's 8)

Let's not miss the point here.

Those who are interested in this amazing camera can pretty well afford it. That includes 4x 1D-X and every lens Canon makes...in addition to the Leica. It's not about functionality, IQ or ISO performance.

This is about appreciating the craftsmanship of something extraordinary and having the means to enjoy it. A classic Ferrari, a Patek Philippe timepiece, a Leica limited release. It's not about the cost; it's about living life in a fulfilling way...whatever that means to you.

I suppose, Might as well throw in the 10,000$ 50mm 0.95 as well. :eek:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.