Manfrotto tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Manfrotto tripod - model 785b - a seemingly attractive light duty version with an interesting
pistol grip ball head. Within weeks one of the cheap plastic leg logs was broken. While it's still useable - albeit missing one of the segments, I am disappointed by the lousy quality of what I had previously considered a
reliable brand. Even worse than the product quality is the customer service of Manfrotto. There is no repair service, no replacement service and you get basically a "should have bought a heavier duty model so live with it"
answer. Anyone else have trouble with this company? Any recommendations on a better light duty tripod?
Thanks
Dick

C

cezargalang

What did you expect when you bought a plastic-ish tripod? It's only made for lightweight gear. So tell us, what were you using on it? i have a 055xprob and the quality is excellent. A friend of mine has a really old manfrotto, and it still works perfectly.

If you want a good tripod, it comes with a price. What did you expect out of a plastic-ish tripod?

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

cezargalang said:
What did you expect when you bought a plastic-ish tripod? It's only made for lightweight gear. So tell us, what were you using on it? i have a 055xprob and the quality is excellent. A friend of mine has a really old manfrotto, and it still works perfectly.

If you want a good tripod, it comes with a price. What did you expect out of a plastic-ish tripod?

Are you saying you wouldn't expect a lower-line tripod from a major brand to last more than a couple of weeks? I think he had a right to expect any tripod, let alone a Manfrotto, to last more than a couple of weeks. And the lever locks on most tripods are made of plastic, anyway. If I were him, I'd kick up a big stink until I got a refund or replacement.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

Albi86 said:
AdamJ said:
Are you saying you wouldn't expect a lower-line tripod from a major brand to last more than a couple of weeks?

Yes, if the major brands clearly states that it supports up to 1Kg/2.2lbs and you load a lot more weight on it.

Who said the OP's tripod was overloaded?

I've heard several times in the past of lever locks breaking, typically not through overloading but usually because the plastic levers snap when opening or closing them.

Upvote 0

thebowtie

You want me to rant? Go ahead, make my day!
May 16, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Albi86 said:
AdamJ said:
Are you saying you wouldn't expect a lower-line tripod from a major brand to last more than a couple of weeks?

Yes, if the major brands clearly states that it supports up to 1Kg/2.2lbs and you load a lot more weight on it.
In Australia the Consumer laws are clear - the concept of 'merchantability' applies to provide a statutory implied warranty - so unless you really exceeded the load specification, it is the manufacturer's responsibility that any product should be made well enough that a consumer could expect a reasonable service life (not measured in days or weeks).
The remedy for the consumer would be to return the defective goods to the retailer / point of purchase (not the manufacturer).
Your mileage in other countries will vary.
Off-topic - could this be a reason for the price variation between countries ("grey market") - to cover cost of warranty in Australia?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
AdamJ said:
Albi86 said:
AdamJ said:

Who said the OP's tripod was overloaded?

I've heard several times in the past of lever locks breaking, typically not through overloading but usually because the plastic levers snap when opening or closing them.

It's not difficult to go over 1Kg of load. Even if you inadvertently lean on the tripod when manouvering the camera you overload it.

thebowtie said:
Albi86 said:
AdamJ said:

In Australia the Consumer laws are clear - the concept of 'merchantability' applies to provide a statutory implied warranty - so unless you really exceeded the load specification, it is the manufacturer's responsibility that any product should be made well enough that a consumer could expect a reasonable service life (not measured in days or weeks).
The remedy for the consumer would be to return the defective goods to the retailer / point of purchase (not the manufacturer).
Your mileage in other countries will vary.
Off-topic - could this be a reason for the price variation between countries ("grey market") - to cover cost of warranty in Australia?

In Italy it's the same, but considering it's a really light-duty tripod, how can you demonstrate that the product was defective and that you didn't overload it? Warranty of course doesn't cover damages derived from improper use.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

Albi86 said:
In Italy it's the same, but considering it's a really light-duty tripod, how can you demonstrate that the product was defective and that you didn't overload it? Warranty of course doesn't cover damages derived from improper use.

In the UK, if the purchaser says it wasn't misused, the onus is on the seller to prove otherwise.

Upvote 0
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod - built like a BMW, rock solid, total quality. I also have a Manfrotto 561BHDV Monopod that is also top notch that cost more than 5x the 785b tripod which is not really meant for DSLR use (unless you're talking a Rebel series with plastic kit lens). For example, my gripped 7D + 24-70mm lens + flashgun is more than DOUBLE the maximum weight for this 785b tripod kit.

Read the following 61 reviews for this product from a major retailers website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427320-REG/Manfrotto_785B_785B_Modo_Maxi_Tripod.html

All of the negative comments/reviews say the same thing - NOT SUITABLE FOR DSLR

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.