Membership Approval Now Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
We are now requiring membership approval of each new member. The reason for this is the 400 new account signups by spam robots each day.

Approvals usually take as day or less to complete.

We are weeding out the spam accounts, but that will take time.

We will not approve membership if the account name looks like a advertisement, is a e-mail address, or just sounds phoney, It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

Well, as an already registered user I don't mind this, but why are you not implementing a Q&A process? Ask a specific question during the sign-up and tell the users that the answer is on your help site and not on the register page. Anybody answering that question correctly will have been a human and not a bot. Should weed out quite a bit of the bots. (Got rid of 99.99% of all SPAM accounts on my two forums)

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

Not sure I agree with that last little bit at all. :eek:

I know how hard it is to deal with the bots which are getting smarter and smarter everyday. But it is a fine balance, between stopping the bots and trying to make enrolling as easy, simple and fast as possible for those that are real and want to join.

As forceflow suggested, using a form of CAPTCHA of some kind would help reduce this. Even if it means showing a picture with a maths puzzle and asking the person to calculate the total, or something else.

CR Backup Admin said:

Not good. I probably would have joined another forum during that time, and would have no interest in returning here. And that is the danger. Anything other than pretty immediate membership could have dire consequences on the future growth of the forum.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

expatinasia said:
CR Backup Admin said:
It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

Not sure I agree with that last little bit at all. :eek:

I know how hard it is to deal with the bots which are getting smarter and smarter everyday. But it is a fine balance, between stopping the bots and trying to make enrolling as easy, simple and fast as possible for those that are real and want to join.

As forceflow suggested, using a form of CAPTCHA of some kind would help reduce this. Even if it means showing a picture with a maths puzzle and asking the person to calculate the total, or something else.

CR Backup Admin said:

Not good. I probably would have joined another forum during that time, and would have no interest in returning here. And that is the danger. Anything other than pretty immediate membership could have dire consequences on the future growth of the forum.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

I agree with your last point, let's hope they find another way around it

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
CR Backup Admin said:
We will not approve membership if the account name looks like a advertisement, is a e-mail address, or just sounds phoney, It is definitely better if a account name has some recognizable link to photography.

This is way too subjective and what may be an advertisement / email / phoney to you may just be perfect for someone else. Compound this by the fact that the username will be rejected after one day I doubt a genuine user who is rejected will bother to try again (I certainly wouldn't, but that's just me).

IMHO a captcha is a better idea as suggested above.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
CR Backup Admin said:

This is way too subjective and what may be an advertisement / email / phoney to you may just be perfect for someone else. Compound this by the fact that the username will be rejected after one day I doubt a genuine user who is rejected will bother to try again (I certainly wouldn't, but that's just me).

IMHO a captcha is a better idea as suggested above.

You'd be surprised how non-ambiguous some of the attempts are...

khlhkjh001
khlhkjh002
khlhkjh003
khlhkjh999

All signed up in a matter of minutes from the same IP address.

Usernames that are obvious spam URLs...

And also the people that set up sock-puppet accounts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.