Microsoft Surface And DPP Issues

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
After loading the most recent updates to my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, DPP4 will not load? The little black camera that pops up when you click on the DPP 4 icon, just keeps showing the “busy” wheel and never opens to the actual DPP program window! I’ve contacted both Microsoft and CPS to try and resolve this issue without success. I’ve uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it several times, with the same results? My other Canon downloads work just fine, it’s only DPP that won’t open. I’ve uninstalled all programs that I’ve downloaded on the Surface, however nothing has helped so far. Anyone else have this issue?

Mar 25, 2011
There are 3 things to try, they often fix issues like this.

1. Install the latest video driver.

2. Make sure you are installing the latest DPP Version, its been updated a few times in the past 6 months.

3. There is a new Windows 10 update that just came out. Was the issue before or after it was updated?

4. Roll back the updates to a previous restore point before you started having the issues and started installing / removing the various versions.

Upvote 0

Steve Todd

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for replying! It happened after installing the latest Windows 10 update. I’ve tried the things you recommended. However, we (Surface Support) couldn’t get the computer to restore from a previous point. One odd thing, before I installed the update, images would open but not be in focus when using the Quick View window. However, they were just fine in the Edit window? CPS said this is the first they have heard of these issues. Just my luck I guess!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Steve Todd said:
Thanks for replying! It happened after installing the latest Windows 10 update. I’ve tried the things you recommended. However, we (Surface Support) couldn’t get the computer to restore from a previous point. One odd thing, before I installed the update, images would open but not be in focus when using the Quick View window. However, they were just fine in the Edit window? CPS said this is the first they have heard of these issues. Just my luck I guess!

If it will not roll back, that indicates something was corrupted. I've had that happen. I fixed it a few months ago by reinstalling the latest windows update. It likely fixed the issue because it replaced the corrupted files.

I make weekly disk images and save them to a NAS. I never erase the first one that had a freshly installed OS with all updates but only basic software. Then, I can restore my installation and reinstall all subsequent updates. Since I can't save all those disk images, I keep only 2 or 3 old ones, the others are recent.

Unless you have some older disk images to restore and try (make a current one before trying that), you may have to do a clean windows 10 installation. Thats a pain.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
Anti-virus programs can sometimes cause such issues.
Before disabling anti-virus to check, that the computer off line by disabling the nic or WiFi.
You might also have to reboot into safe mode before you can disable anti-virus.

If DPP will then start and run, you're then faced with the task of figuring out which exe's and/or dll's are being blocked by anti-virus, then adding exceptions to your anti-virus product.

Do keep your PC safe by making sure anti-virus is running whenever the machine is on line.

Also note the vague nature of these suggestions, it's really a rather wild arse guess based on issues I had a while back when Avast kept Gimp from running. Fortunately, Avast threw a ton of error messages alerting me to the issue, but, even so, it was tedious to fix.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
I rarely use DPP but do have version 4 on my Surface Pro 3. I used the Surface Pro 3 as my main computer for a couple of months and still keep it updated to the latest Windows 10 OS. This subject made me curious so I just ran DPP v.4 and it works fine for me. Issue may be difference in the way SP3 and SP4 are configured. I hope you find and solve your problem and am really curious to see how you solve it.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
tolusina said:
Anti-virus programs can sometimes cause such issues.
Before disabling anti-virus to check, that the computer off line by disabling the nic or WiFi.
You might also have to reboot into safe mode before you can disable anti-virus.

If DPP will then start and run, you're then faced with the task of figuring out which exe's and/or dll's are being blocked by anti-virus, then adding exceptions to your anti-virus product.

Do keep your PC safe by making sure anti-virus is running whenever the machine is on line.

Also note the vague nature of these suggestions, it's really a rather wild arse guess based on issues I had a while back when Avast kept Gimp from running. Fortunately, Avast threw a ton of error messages alerting me to the issue, but, even so, it was tedious to fix.

I would investigate this. When my Windows upgraded to the Founders crap, my music player (MusicBee) wouldn't load. I configured AVG to ignore the program and all is good. DPP4 was unaffected. Good luck. Software conflicts are always fun.

Upvote 0
Steve Todd said:
After loading the most recent updates to my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, DPP4 will not load? The little black camera that pops up when you click on the DPP 4 icon, just keeps showing the “busy” wheel and never opens to the actual DPP program window! I’ve contacted both Microsoft and CPS to try and resolve this issue without success. I’ve uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it several times, with the same results? My other Canon downloads work just fine, it’s only DPP that won’t open. I’ve uninstalled all programs that I’ve downloaded on the Surface, however nothing has helped so far. Anyone else have this issue?
It seems that DPP does not like high res monitors and it cannot figure out the res of your screen. I think Surface Pro 4 has higher resolution than 1920x1280 HD. If DPP cannot find the screen res, it defaults back to something like 1024 x768 which may not be a supported mode for your SurfacePro. I guess that is why you were experiencing blurred icons.
Does Picture Style Editor also have the same problem? if yes, scaling should be the culprit.
Did you try disabling display scaling on your surface pro and run your screen at HD mode? It may solve the problem.
Also removing DPP4 folder from your account: AppData\Roaming\Canon_Inc_IC may remove some saved settings that is corrupt.
But I guess if you cannot roll-back to earlier version of Windows it is more serious problem.

Upvote 0

Steve Todd

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks everyone for your inputs! I ended up having to wipe the computer clean, and then reload all of my data.
DPP 4 works again, just fine. I would really like to know where the conflict was, although it doesn’t really matter much now. I’m just happy to have everything working again!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Creat a disk image while its working, save it on a thumb drive or in another safe location.

Hi MtSP,
What software would you recommend using to do this? Is it basically the same process and image you would create when upgrading from a mechanical disk to an SSD? Or do you need to do anything different/additional?

Thanks
Regards

Upvote 0