Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Simon.
Very nice, a great series of shots.
Looks like there is an aerodynamic flaw on the planes in shots 3 through 12, drawing exhaust soot up the tail like that! Can’t be good having that stuff eating in to the surfaces?
I nearly beat Click, but while I was typing a new reply has been posted, I might wish to review my post!! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Simon.
Looks like there is an aerodynamic flaw on the planes in shots 3 through 12, drawing exhaust soot up the tail like that! Can’t be good having that stuff eating in to the surfaces?
I nearly beat Click, but while I was typing a new reply has been posted, I might wish to review my post!! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham, thanks for the comments. The Tornado is fitted with reverse thrusters (its I think the only operational fast jet that now is (the Saab JAS37 was the other one) and its that that throws up all the soot on the tail. Although it was intended for wet surface / short field operations most pilots use it all the time as its more effective than the Tornados brakes. It can be selected prior to landing and activates automatically when the nose wheel compresses on landing. Large steel clam shells are forces behind the jet pipes and the exhaust vented forward and up/down. Poor picture but you can see them clearly here
3756228308_1ec726108f_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Simon.
Thanks for the quick explanation, so it is only cars that have “aerodynamic” issues causing soot up the tail lights!
I wanted to say Tornado, but was not certain enough to risk it! I thought they had been retired, or is that being retired soon, or did I just imagine that bit.
I was not aware that the Tornado had reverse thrust, in fact I wasn’t aware that it is not a routine fit either! A very interesting shot you have there showing the aerodynamic configuration.

Cheers, Graham.

Viper28 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Simon.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham, thanks for the comments. The Tornado is fitted with reverse thrusters (its I think the only operational fast jet that now is (the Saab JAS37 was the other one) and its that that throws up all the soot on the tail. Although it was intended for wet surface / short field operations most pilots use it all the time as its more effective than the Tornados brakes. It can be selected prior to landing and activates automatically when the nose wheel compresses on landing. Large steel clam shells are forces behind the jet pipes and the exhaust vented forward and up/down. Poor picture but you can see them clearly here
3756228308_1ec726108f_z.jpg

Upvote 0
Viper28 said:
I've hardly got out to use the camera in ages but finally got the chance of a few days in the loop this week. I'd hoped for a few more snowy backdrops but just really got the bitterly cold wind instead!

Monday, Bwlch Exit: 6 passes from Hoss-31 and 32 and then Monster1 and 2
Tuesday, Bwlch: Typhoon Chaos1 and 2, single typhoon then Marham joined in with Primus 1 and 2 and a single MRH05
Thanks for looking

Hi Simon, magnificent shots! Where do you have an opportunity to be at 'eye level' with these planes / pilots? Lake District?

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Nat_WA said:
Viper28 said:
I've hardly got out to use the camera in ages but finally got the chance of a few days in the loop this week. I'd hoped for a few more snowy backdrops but just really got the bitterly cold wind instead!

Tuesday, Bwlch: Typhoon Chaos1 and 2, single typhoon then Marham joined in with Primus 1 and 2 and a single MRH05
Thanks for looking

Hi Simon, magnificent shots! Where do you have an opportunity to be at 'eye level' with these planes / pilots? Lake District?

Wiebe.

Google 'Mach loop wales'

Awesome shots Simon thanks for posting!

Upvote 0
Hi Graham,

Tornado is schedules to leave RAF service mid-2019. There are now only approx. 30 left in the active fleet. Another squadron will disband at the end of this month so I expect that to drop further. The "bomb bus" will still be in service with the German, Italian and Saudi airfoces for sometime.

zim said:
Nat_WA said:
Viper28 said:

Thanks for looking

Wiebe.

Google 'Mach loop wales'

Awesome shots Simon thanks for posting!

Thanks for all the great comments - appreciated.

Yes these were taken in the "Mach Loop" which is part of Low Fly Area 7 (LFA7) centered around the Snowdonia national park in mid-Wales. I have also shot them in the Lake District (LFA14) but the shots tend to be less dynamic than those the loop offers.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
A couple of shots of G-HIOW the Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulance helicopter landed and taking off from the recreation ground at the end of the road, the helicopter is used for emergency collections and for critical patient transport and until the completion of a helipad at the county’s hospital the field was a recognised transfer point. (It may still be!) I have no idea which role the chopper was fulfilling on this occasion, it was and is not any of my business! ;)

IMG_1137_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1145_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

A shot of a couple of the helicopters at the Isle of Wight Festival temporary Heliport, they set up with refuelling facility, fire and rescue vehicle and a control tower with associated controlled airspace!

IMG_1238_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
A couple of shots of G-HIOW the Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulance helicopter landed and taking off from the recreation ground at the end of the road, the helicopter is used for emergency collections and for critical patient transport and until the completion of a helipad at the county’s hospital the field was a recognised transfer point. (It may still be!) I have no idea which role the chopper was fulfilling on this occasion, it was and is not any of my business! ;)

IMG_1137_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1145_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

A shot of a couple of the helicopters at the Isle of Wight Festival temporary Heliport, they set up with refuelling facility, fire and rescue vehicle and a control tower with associated controlled airspace!

IMG_1238_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.
Great set of pictures Graham.

Regards,
Raza

Upvote 0