Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks. Actually I have some new photos of hot-air free aircrafts from the airshow at Uppsala yesterday. 3900 pictures to go through (mostly jets), it will take a while.. sigh :) The yellow AT-6 looked nice in the morning sun

[...]
Very nice series again Erik, in the very pleasant lighting of the morning sun :)
Does the AT-6 only have a twin bladed prop? I'm not used to seeing those on post 1930-ish military planes :unsure:, although wikipedia tells me it is a trainer so that may explain it ...
Wiebe.

Nat_WA

Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks Graham and Click!
The C130 crew did a good job except that someone forgot to close the tailgate..

[...]
Nice series Erik, I especially like the last - you can see the pallets are pushed out with some speed, the parachute of the second one not even clear of the plane when the third already is in the air (and the fourth 'almost'...). I'd be worried that they would get tangled :eek:
Wiebe.

Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Erik.
Stunning shots as usual, great timing on the last shot.
My first memory of a C130 Hercules was at Middle Wallop Airshow as a teenager. An impressive piece of kit well demonstrated, it went something like this.
“If you look off to the left you will see the Hercules,” we looked and saw a spec at height, it then dropped in like a stone, made a pass in front of us (what I now believe would be described as a touch and go) main gear on the ground, nose high, a Landrover on a skid pallet was yanked out by a drag parachute, then the Hercules departed at what appeared to be a near vertical climb, (viewing angles etc).
That all probably took less time than it has taken to write this, (I’m not fast at typing)!
Needless to say it left a lasting impression on a young boy, I wish I had had a camera with me back then!

Cheers, Graham.

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Nice series Erik, I especially like the last - you can see the pallets are pushed out with some speed, the parachute of the second one not even clear of the plane when the third already is in the air (and the fourth 'almost'...). I'd be worried that they would get tangled :eek:
Wiebe.
The mission was to 'deliver' the cargo within a circle marked on the ground so there was a good reason to push out everything quickly.. The landing zone was some distance away from the crowd, I wonder why.. Air drop is safe and proven. I mean what could possibly go wrong ;)

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Thanks Nat and Graham. Yes, AT-6 has a 2-bladed prop. Early versions of Spitfire had fixed 2-blade wooden propellers so there is nothing wrong with it.. What makes me more concerned is that half the length of the blades is 'shaded' by the engine cowling so it is probably not very efficient. But as you said, AT-6 was intended as a trainer so performance was probably not priority #1.. Anyway, the AT-6 propeller is very good at producing noise :)

It will be interesting to see if there is any worthy replacement for C-130 coming as it is approaching retirement. I doubt that A400M or KC-390 will ever come close when it comes to robustness and versatility..? The C-130 has some kind of world record in overload, 452 passengers onboard, 32 in cockpit
http://onlyinark.com/culture/last-herk-vietnam/

Here is another hot-air driven fighter, a F-16 from Danish Air Force :) Nicely painted with 'Dannebrogen' on the fin.

F36A0017_DxO_full
by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0139_DxO_full

F36A0243_DxO_full

F36A0315_DxO_full

F36A0287_DxO_full

Nat_WA

Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks Nat and Graham. Yes, AT-6 has a 2-bladed prop. Early versions of Spitfire had fixed 2-blade wooden propellers so there is nothing wrong with it.. What makes me more concerned is that half the length of the blades is 'shaded' by the engine cowling so it is probably not very efficient. But as you said, AT-6 was intended as a trainer so performance was probably not priority #1.. Anyway, the AT-6 propeller is very good at producing noise :)

It will be interesting to see if there is any worthy replacement for C-130 coming as it is approaching retirement. I doubt that A400M or KC-390 will ever come close when it comes to robustness and versatility..? The C-130 has some kind of world record in overload, 452 passengers onboard, 32 in cockpit
http://onlyinark.com/culture/last-herk-vietnam/

Here is another hot-air driven fighter, a F-16 from Danish Air Force :) Nicely painted with 'Dannebrogen' on the fin.

[...]

F36A0243_DxO_full
[...]
Did the Danes invent an anti-gravity invisible air-strip?? I must tell our air force :p... they should be able to convert the Dutch F-16's :geek:
Wiebe.

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Did the Danes invent an anti-gravity invisible air-strip?? I must tell our air force :p... they should be able to convert the Dutch F-16's :geek:
Wiebe.
I don't have a clue, I though that some software developer might have misunderstood the intended function of the lever marked "landing gear up":cool:
Interesting to see that F-16 can fly pretty well also with negative flap setting!

Here are some pictures of the conventional jet-propelled SAAB 39 Gripen.. ;)

F36A2711_DxO-1
F36A2914_DxO_full
F36A2945_DxO_full
F36A3087_DxO_full
F36A3124_DxO_full
F36A3178_DxO_full

Nat_WA

Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I don't have a clue, I though that some software developer might have misunderstood the intended function of the lever marked "landing gear up":cool: (y)(y)
Interesting to see that F-16 can fly pretty well also with negative flap setting!

Here are some pictures of the conventional jet-propelled SAAB 39 Gripen.. ;)
[...]
Nice series of the Saab 39 Gripen Erik, quirky nice design with its canard wings (if I'm correctly naming them :unsure:)

... And I like your sense of humour (y)
Wiebe.

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Nice series of the Saab 39 Gripen Erik, quirky nice design with its canard wings (if I'm correctly naming them :unsure:)
Yes, it is correct. Canard is the French word for duck. In the past it was supposed that a duck uses its beak as stabilizer and elevator. Today it is proven that it does not but aircrafts with stabilizer in front of the main wing are still considered as ducks :p