Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

A 37-litres Rolls Royce Griffon V12 running on a test stand. Double counter-rotating props but unfortunately no Spitfire attached ???
It never got into the air but the spectators standing in the slipstream almost did..
Still I doubt it was running at full power, the props seem to be clipped to a manageable size.

Attachments

• F36A9996_DxO_r2880.jpg
    F36A9996_DxO_r2880.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 149
  • F36A0014_DxO_r2880.jpg
    F36A0014_DxO_r2880.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
GuyF said:
Erik X said:
A 37-litres Rolls Royce Griffon V12...

Out of a Shackleton? Don't see many of those these days :(

Griffon was also used in Spitfire Mk XII and beyond, Swedish Airforce bought a number of Mk XIX so I guess it comes from one of those. But then again, Mk XIX did not have doble props? It might be possible to tell from the engine mount but thats above my level :D It is possible this engine was imported as military surplus..
It would definitely clean the garden from autumn leaves in notime!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Erik.
Nothing quite like standing near a Merlin or Griffon as it starts up and throttles up for takeoff.
I'm guessing it was well anchored down to not taxi across the field!

Cheers,Graham.

Erik X said:
A 37-litres Rolls Royce Griffon V12 running on a test stand. Double counter-rotating props but unfortunately no Spitfire attached ???
It never got into the air but the spectators standing in the slipstream almost did..
Still I doubt it was running at full power, the props seem to be clipped to a manageable size.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Erik.
Nothing quite like standing near a Merlin or Griffon as it starts up and throttles up for takeoff.
I'm guessing it was well anchored down to not taxi across the field!

Cheers,Graham.

I agree completely :) I did not see any trustworthy anchoring, that was the reason I was standing on the side using zoom :p Could be really nasty if that beast starts moving..

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
A few from the Goodwood Cricket Match, I have only done the planes so far, the cricket may or may not get done! A great way to spend the day, watching cricket.... and watching the planes come and go, culminating in a closing display by a Spitfire, MH434 to be precise.

Vultee Valiant.
SE0A7086_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

DC3 Dakota.
SE0A7119_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Blackburn B2.
SE0A7130_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Bristol Blenheim.
SE0A7226_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Spitfire MH434.
SE0A7303_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A7352_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A7371_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Thanks all. #4 is my favorite as well. The island's last real airshow was in 2011, and the Thunderbirds performed this year more or less by themselves. They performed not at an airport, but over the ocean, in front of the city of Old San Juan. Show center was in front of San Cristobal, a 500 year old Spanish fort. I was able to select a place to take photos about 200 feet above sea level.

Best of all this was a Friday "practice", not the scheduled show. I knew there would be a practice, and on Friday the weather was great, blue sky and nice puffy clouds.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0