Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thanks, I nearly called the shot spot Merlin ;D but didn't think it was quite well enough hidden!

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
A couple of shots of the Merlin helicopter, this was also flying 'support' for the Marines beach assault.

Cheers, Graham.

Nice set of the helo Graham,
+1 (+2? ;)) on the panning, lucky for us you did such a good job otherwise its camo colour would have hidden it against the background!
I keep being amazed by the size combined with speed and agility these machines have reached over the years :eek:

Wiebe

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Chasinglight.
Some very nice shots, excellent panning in the first shot, and I really like the fireworks over FIFI. Some cool shots of the blue angels too, liking the one with wheels top and bottom! :)

Cheers, Graham.

chasinglight said:
Here are a few of my favorites from the 2017 AirVenture in Oshkosh

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Erik.
I remembered to try the different modes on my 100-400II, I did not encounter the IS issue that you describe when panning the Red Arrows as they flew over, and at one point I was pointing almost straight up as they passed over, probably the closest we get to see them is at this point I'd guess they were close to their display hard floor height.
I didn't experience it at Goodwood either when panning race cars at close range which was probably resulting in faster yaw rates than the Red Arrows.
I think it might be that you have an issue, if you were close by I'd let you borrow my lens (with me present, after all I don't really know you! ;)) to see if you could replicate the issue to confirm if it is your lens or all of them.

Cheers, Graham.

Erik X said:
KeithBreazeal said:
... Sharper, more contrast, and the IS is much better. keeper rate was much better.
Keith, do you experience that the IS starts to behave funny when panning after jets at close distance?
I realize that the piezo gyros have an upper limit in yaw rate they can handle.. at very high yaw rate, the IS seems to quit completely but there seems to be a critical speed where it starts to behave quite unpredictable..
Erik

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Very nice shot, good to see ongoing investment to combat the wild fires. I hope it is not needed too often if at all.

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Our California National Guard gets the newest C-130J version with fire fighting capabilities.
California Capital Airshow, Sacramento, CA.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Thank you.
Sorry I have no idea what the planes are, not an era that I am particularly familiar with, far more in to the WWII aircraft, you might have a look at my Flickr album if you didn't already as there are some more shots of the WWI display team there.

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
@Valvebounce - Very nice series Graham! Lots of tri-planes in your aerial display... No Sopwith Pup or Camel present?

Wiebe

Upvote 0