Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Really nice shots, especially the first and last shots, the lightning is so beautiful and the A10 is so fugly! ;D
Pretty cool landing on a truck, is it a touch and go or do all three wheels make contact? Total skill and I doff my cap either way!

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
California Capital Airshow 2017

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Kieth.
Really nice shots, especially the first and last shots, the lightning is so beautiful and the A10 is so fugly! ;D
Pretty cool landing on a truck, is it a touch and go or do all three wheels make contact? Total skill and I doff my cap either way!

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:

Thanks Graham :)

Upvote 0
Click said:
Very nice shot, tolusina. :)
Oh noes, not mine, so sorry if my post came across as claiming that as mine. I wish...... :-\

joshmurrah originally posted on page 2
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18673.msg349445#msg349445

I re-posted because I think the A-10 Warthog is a beautiful and impressive aircraft. As or maybe more impressive in their day are both the Mustang and the Lightening, you really don't want to be in the other side's tank when any of these three is around.

Seeing the photo of an A-10 with a P-38 brought to mind the earlier A-10 and P-51 photo so I brought it back around for another viewing on the same page with Keith's.
- - -

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Wiebe.
Thank you.
Sorry I have no idea what the planes are, not an era that I am particularly familiar with, far more in to the WWII aircraft, you might have a look at my Flickr album if you didn't already as there are some more shots of the WWI display team there.

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
@Valvebounce - Very nice series Graham! Lots of tri-planes in your aerial display... No Sopwith Pup or Camel present?

Wiebe

The Pup and Camel are British Biplanes from that era. The Camel is quite well known to some peopel thanks to its role/use in the early Biggles books (well worth a read to anyone a fan of plane based adventure/war stories aimed at adults/young adults). there are no flying examples of the Camel, the last one that flew was in the late 80s or maybe early 90's and is on show at Farnborough each year as a static display. Not sure about the Pup though.

Enjoying the wide range of photos. Anyone still shoot with a 7D mk1? I find on airshows that clouds or blue sky are incredibly noisy even at ISO100. Nothing that lightroom can't solve, but do wish they were cleaner out of the camera. Got my last airshow of the year coming up next weekend, hoping for some good weather and good news from all those merlin engined WWII planes.

Upvote 0
chasinglight said:
Keith those are amazing photos of the p38 and f15. How do you like the 5D4 for shooting air shows? I love my 1DX, but sometimes I am missing the extra resolution of the 5D3.

KeithBreazeal said:

The 5D IV is producing a good percentage more keepers than the 5D III did. I rarely use it in "machine gun" mode but tend to watch the angles and light for the best moment. The colors and shadow detail are superior the 5D III,(IMO) and allow a bit more aggressive cropping without the overall image quality suffering as much.
I bought the VII 10-400 and used it at this airshow for the first time. I was very pleased with it's image quality and IS performance over the old 100-400. One thing I have noticed with the 5D IV over the 5D III is that the backup jpg(SD card) files produced are stunning. I find myself using the jpg version in some occasions.
I think the slow buffering is a minor problem when all is said and done. I used to shoot airshows with my 7D, but imaging improvements on the FF bodies closes the gap a bit. I'm not sure if I will invest in another APSC body. I bought a M5 and really like the mirrorless. I hope Canon comes out with a FF mirrorless version with the attributes and form of the 5D IV.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dhr.
Thanks, I know from Biggles, Algy and Ginger what they are, but I couldn't identify one from the other! Capt. W. E Johns was quite the writer in my opinion.
I think I read most of the Biggles books back in the day, I still have some of them somewhere, I'd take a bet that they are on black lists for not being "pc" these days ::) :-\ :(
Yes I still use my 7D, I was debating carrying two cameras for the Sunday at Bournemouth and struggled with the choice of 7DII + 1DsIII or 7DII + 7D, didn't matter in the end as the weather put paid to the Sunday displays.
Yes let's hope the Merlin get going again soon, missed seeing the BBMF at Bournemouth.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Wiebe.
Thank you.
Sorry I have no idea what the planes are, not an era that I am particularly familiar with, far more in to the WWII aircraft, you might have a look at my Flickr album if you didn't already as there are some more shots of the WWI display team there.

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
@Valvebounce - Very nice series Graham! Lots of tri-planes in your aerial display... No Sopwith Pup or Camel present?

Wiebe

The Pup and Camel are British Biplanes from that era. The Camel is quite well known to some peopel thanks to its role/use in the early Biggles books (well worth a read to anyone a fan of plane based adventure/war stories aimed at adults/young adults). there are no flying examples of the Camel, the last one that flew was in the late 80s or maybe early 90's and is on show at Farnborough each year as a static display. Not sure about the Pup though.

Enjoying the wide range of photos. Anyone still shoot with a 7D mk1? I find on airshows that clouds or blue sky are incredibly noisy even at ISO100. Nothing that lightroom can't solve, but do wish they were cleaner out of the camera. Got my last airshow of the year coming up next weekend, hoping for some good weather and good news from all those merlin engined WWII planes.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Seems I'm spamming almost as much as Erik now! :)

I know this plane could fly straight and level as evidenced by the first shot, but this Gerald Cooper fellow was having terrible trouble, even flying backwards downhill at one point! ;D ;D

Gerald Cooper Stunt Pilot struggling to fly straight and level? I'm sure he is much more accustomed to odd angles of attack. ;)
SE0A4208_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A4219_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A4231_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A4242_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A4254_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

SE0A4271_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi applecider.
Very nice shot, could you please explain a bit why you say "supposed to be" as this confused me. ???

Cheers, Graham.

applecider said:
This is supposed to be a commemorative flight with the P51 mustang of which there were 15,000 built and the F22 raptor which is one of 187 reportedly built.

Oregon INTEL air show Sept 2017.

Upvote 0