Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Viper28 said:
I've never done the A5 pass before (this is at the top end of LFA7 in mid Wales and overlooks Lake Ogwen) so with the promise of traffic using it to get to the RAF Valley Families day I thought I'd give it a go. In the end the Reds, BBMF Spitfire, Typhoon and GR4 all avoid it, leaving just the Strikemaster (a first for me) and Omen-1 (a C130J) to provide the photo ops

Thanks for looking

Despite missing out on those other planes, you took some excellent pictures of the ones available Simon!
Great panning and detail :) 8)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Nat_WA said:
Roo said:
Thanks very much Click and Graham.

Roulettes and a classic Hornet at the Grand Prix

Nice shots Roo!
Lovely weather as well ;) - no issues with high ISO or long shutter speed ;D

Wiebe.

Thanks Click and Wiebe. That was Sunday...Saturday was very different - it nearly killed my 150-600 lol

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ladislav.
I don’t use a tripod, I have tried using a tripod and gimbal for motor racing which is fairly similar to planes landing / taking off, (something passing through about 160-180 deg close to you) it doesn’t work well for me, you are literally trying to run round the tripod whereas panning handheld is a much more controlled rotation of the body! A gimbal is great for more distant or slower moving objects where you can shuffle rather than run around the tripod! :)
Panning with a long / heavy lens takes lots and lots of practice, a good brace technique, right elbow pressed tight in to your rib cage, left hand as far out on the lens as you can get it and still use the zoom, left elbow jammed in to your stomach (or beer gut if you prefer) to make a firm platform, it is no good having your elbows flailing about at shoulder height, no stability there! Then practice, practice and practice some more, seagulls make good practice targets, or a local roadside (the target trajectory will be more predictable) if it doesn’t put you at risk of being run down (or shot at!).
Start at your 1/250th and take several shots then drop the shutter speed a third of a stop, several more shots, drop another third slowly creep the shutter speed down, hopefully you will get better. None of us start out panning at 1/40th and below, it takes practice, it takes me a while to get back in the swing of things at the start of a motor race or airshow.

Cheers, Graham.

Ladislav said:
Guys, when you do panning of planes during landing or taking off, do you use tripod? I'm using 5DIV with Sigma C 150-600 and I really can't get bellow 1/250th handheld and it is still far too fast for panning. When I go bellow there is too much shake and even plane became soft.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
I agree with Graham's suggestion Ladislav. The other thing to look at is the image stabilisation on the lens - OS on the Sigma. Make sure it's either switched to mode 2, which allows for panning motion, or switched off, otherwise you're fighting against the stabilisation and introducing some unwanted blur. With the Tamron, I generally have it switched off for panning.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ladislav.
Roo has a valid point, fighting the image stabiliser gives horrid results, as Roo said make sure you use a mode compatible with panning!
Of course if you know this (and my previous suggestions) already I apologise for trying to teach you to suck eggs!

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
I agree with Graham's suggestion Ladislav. The other thing to look at is the image stabilisation on the lens - OS on the Sigma. Make sure it's either switched to mode 2, which allows for panning motion, or switched off, otherwise you're fighting against the stabilisation and introducing some unwanted blur. With the Tamron, I generally have it switched off for panning.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I will start practicing!

I'm using OS Mode 2 on my Sigma for panning.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Ladislav.
Roo has a valid point, fighting the image stabiliser gives horrid results, as Roo said make sure you use a mode compatible with panning!
Of course if you know this (and my previous suggestions) already I apologise for trying to teach you to suck eggs!

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
That sounds really interesting along with the other celebratory events that are being held, unfortunately I will not be able to attend anything this year except Goodwood and the display there is very vanilla since the Shoreham crash. :'(

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Hands up who's going to be at the RAF 100 flypast on July 10...

Looks to be something not to be missed. Hopefully we'll see some pics here :D

Upvote 0
Roo said:

Wow! Sadly I will be at work, but they are due to fly right over where I live...just a little too far from where I work :( Think I may try to beg off work for a long lunch if the weather looks promising!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Roo said:

'Unfortunately' if they don't fly directly over a rather well known resort town on the Amalfi coast I fear my lens selection on the day may be rather focal length limited :eek: ;D

It does sound like an amazing event though

Upvote 0