Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Since there is no other activity here, why not take a look at some godsforsaken Russian airports..
I get a very eerie feeling when I look at these pictures. But keep in mind that Khatanga airport is still handling 34000 passengers a year! :oops: It has got a brand new roof also, at half the building at least..
http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/russia-wooden-airports/index.html

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Quite a lot of Merlin V12 engines :) (RR or under licence...)
Very nice set @Roo - good to see those machines flying, if only for a short while (and in pictures for all viewers) (y)
Wiebe.

Thanks Wiebe. It was great to see all those flying together and very rare for down here. 72 cylinders in the air via the 4 Merlins (RR/Packard) and 2 Allisons.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Another great set, the head on shot is really nice.
I guess we are spoiled here as we often have 72 cylinders, 1 Lancaster a Spitfire and a Hurricane! :) We also routinely have solitary Spitfires (not always the same one) fly over our home, they often linger and we can hear them wheeling and turning even when we can’t see them. The problem is every time I grab my camera it ruins it for everyone else as they never hang around for a photo! :rolleyes:
A real shame about the Hurricane being withdrawn from the display, we had the same with the Vulcan at Goodwood, a fuel leak ended the flypast before it began but that was her last visit to the south coast before being withdrawn from flight permanently. :( I’ll wager that you get another look at the Hurricane. :)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks Graham and Click!

We only have 2 airworthy Spitfires and the solitary Hurricane, which we were very lucky to see as they don't like to stray too far from home with it. Hopefully another Spitfire or 2 will be returned to the air fairly soon.

Cessna A-37B Dragonfly
Warbirds Downunder (90 of 136).jpg

Gloster Meteor F.8 - currently the only airworthy single seat variant in the world.
Warbirds Downunder (130 of 136).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Wow, that is one heavily loaded machine given its size.
Gloster Meteor, now that is just oneupmanship! ;)
Very nice shots and I’m really surprised that you only have 2 airworthy Spitfires, is that for the whole country, the state (if that is the correct term) or some other area, not so surprised about the Hurricane, it has very much been the underdog to the Spitfire. :( I guess it doesn’t help that the Hurricane is not so aesthetically pleasing or iconic as the Spitfire?

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham and Click!

We only have 2 airworthy Spitfires and the solitary Hurricane, which we were very lucky to see as they don't like to stray too far from home with it. Hopefully another Spitfire or 2 will be returned to the air fairly soon.

Cessna A-37B Dragonfly

Gloster Meteor F.8 - currently the only airworthy single seat variant in the world.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice pictures, Roo. I especially like the Cessna A-37B.
0057.gif

Upvote 0